AIBU to not want to listen to multiple alarms

(21 Posts)
skybluepinkish Thu 07-Apr-16 07:37:43

I'm pregnant with our first child and having a hard time sleeping at the mo. DH is currently driving me crazy by setting early alarms and not getting up. This morning the first alarm went off. He cancelled it. Then 30 mins later another went off that he snoozed. He then hits the snooze button every ten minutes for the next hour! I got cross and snapped by the 9th alarm for him to just get up. He is now cross with me and has said this is the only way he can get up at the mo but I don't think it's fair to wake me up unnecessarily like that. AIBU?

WallToWallBastards Thu 07-Apr-16 07:53:17

I live with 9 other people. YANBU. The series of ignored and varied alarm tones filling the flat between 6 and 10am after being woken up by the bin lorry at 5 is sometimes just too much.

CaptainCrunch Thu 07-Apr-16 07:56:03

My dh does this as well. Sometimes he goes into the shower and it goes off again and I'm just lying there fuming. I only work in term time so it's a frequent issue. In short YANBU.

cheapandcheerful Thu 07-Apr-16 07:57:25

He needs one of these!

There is a free version available in the App Store.

You're welcome grin

CantChoose Thu 07-Apr-16 07:57:36

I hate this. One snooze is the limit, then I just get angrier and angrier...

Lweji Thu 07-Apr-16 07:59:47

Send him to sleep on the sofa or turn off his alarm after the first snooze.

Spandexpants007 Thu 07-Apr-16 07:59:55

Yep it's selfish of him to do that early in the morning

justtheonethen Thu 07-Apr-16 08:03:25

This is my life! I also only work term time so I get 13 weeks of this shit.

What drives me extra crazy is when dp "needs" to get up earlier than normal, so big fuss over setting alarm early, alarm goes off, snooze, alarm goes off, snooze....and repeat.

So in reality I'm awake at some ungodly hour and he gets up at the time his alarm goes off normally! If he happens to get in the shower and it goes off again I'm ready to kill.

Doesn't help that I wake up at the first sound of the alarm and it can ring for 5 minutes before he does. angry

justtheonethen Thu 07-Apr-16 08:04:38

Love that cheap, although I expect that would just end up with me angrily crashing round the bathroom without my glasses on scanning everything in sight until my blood boiled!

MrsMook Thu 07-Apr-16 08:10:30

YANBU. DH is a snoozer too. I set my alarm to allow 10 minutes to activate myself, but any more than that is wasted sleep. Surely these snoozers would feel more refreshed if they weren't disturbed repeatedly during their last sleep cycle.

KayTee87 Thu 07-Apr-16 08:12:42

Yanbu he's being selfish. Surely one snooze of 10 minutes to ensure you've properly woken up is enough for anyone? Alarms going off for an hour just mean he's getting an hours less sleep than he could be, doesn't make any sense to me.

Witchend Thu 07-Apr-16 08:16:37

Dh is the same.
I get up early, I get up early lave the host all still asleep in bed.
He gets up early the whole house is disturbed.
T goes. His alarm goes off. After two or three minutes I poke him to get up. He switches it off and goes back to sleep. 10minutez later repeat. 10minutes later I demand he doesn't snooze it. Twenty minutes after that I poke him and point out he has 10 minutes to get out of the house. There have been many times when I've left the house and come back a couple of hours or more later to find he's still asleep.
He's generally good except getting up, but it does irritate.

JustMeAndHim Thu 07-Apr-16 08:18:09

YANBU - snoozing is selfish and that would make me apoplectic with rage

scrappydappydoo Thu 07-Apr-16 08:21:40

Lol I can think of a few people who need that app - although most of them would just put the toothpaste at the side of the bed or scan it and go back to bed smile

Grrrrr this brings back some horrendous memories of when, as a recently graduated student living abroad on an internship, O had to share a room with someone who did this.... for an hour and a half!!!

Once I'm awake, I'm awake and she'd do this from 5.30 every day despite not leaving the house till 8! Made my days working horrendous due to broken sleep.

I solved it by becoming speaking to her, then when that didn't really work I became wise to when she actually needed to be up. She'd always leave it to the last minute and got up the same time every day. So I startd to make sure I got up 5 minutes before her and hogged the shower/ bathroom so she had to go without. Whe she raised it woth me I politely pointed out that I was only up because of her stupid alarm!!

It soon stopped. And lo and behold, she could get up withoit snoozing 20 times!!

Its very selfish. Maybe you could try something like I did???

liinyo Thu 07-Apr-16 08:28:44

This used to drive me insane. However I now suffer from age related hearing loss and need hearing aids which I take out at night. DH's alarm/snoozes no longer wake me and a source of marital disharmony has been removed. Every cloud.

Lweji Thu 07-Apr-16 08:50:45

You could also fully wake up and make sure he's awake from the first that the alarm rings. Turn lights on, music on, windows open, start discussing the day. I suspect you'll only have to do it a few times.

CigarsofthePharoahs Thu 07-Apr-16 08:54:08

Do what Lweji says!

Gileswithachainsaw Thu 07-Apr-16 09:00:42

Yanbu.

my dad and brother used to do this when I lived at home. it drove me cray. if you set an alarm get up or set it later.

I swear my dp o's deaf too. he sleeps through his alarms and they are ridiculously loud it takes the piss

plimsolls Thu 07-Apr-16 09:06:34

Yanbu, although I must confess I'm a guilty snoozer. To be fair, I don't wake up enough to make a conscious decision to snooze the alarm. If I was awake enough to consider whether I was being selfish, I'd be awake enough to get out of bed. I do feel guilty when I finally wake and realise how long I have been snoozing it for.

So, I realise it must be very very annoying and I would like to change.

I love it on the occasions when I hear OH's alarm go off, realise it's not mine, roll over and go back to sleep.

ExplodingCarrots Thu 07-Apr-16 09:22:08

Yanbu. DP has 2 alarm clocks that alternate for over half hour (from 5am). I can sleep through them sometimes but if I can't he gets a shove and 'you're taking the piss'. Luckily he's a shift worker so not days every day.

Me: i get up on the first alarm.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now