Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To not want a tumble drier. Total first world problem.

(144 Posts)
Discopanda Thu 07-Apr-16 00:36:21

We've recently moved into a new house, garden is big with one of those long, extendable washing lines. DP (who doesn't do the laundry) wants to get a 2nd hand tumble drier despite us living in the south of the UK and getting plenty of sun. I think it's a waste of money!

FirstWeTakeManhattan Thu 07-Apr-16 00:38:39

I said the same, but a third DC made me reconsider. I wouldn't be without one now!!!

I'd get a new one if you can though.

TattyDevine Thu 07-Apr-16 00:39:41

I can't be doing with hanging out washing. Sorry!

OddSocksHighHeels Thu 07-Apr-16 00:44:34

I love my tumble drier. It means no ironing for most clothes.

Primaryteach87 Thu 07-Apr-16 00:47:11

Yabu. You are clearly experiencing Stockholm syndrome (with your captor being the British weather). Seriously though, I do love my tumble drier. I would sooner give up the washing machine than the tumble drier!

ijustwannadance Thu 07-Apr-16 00:50:11

What do you do in winter when you can't dry outside? I love my tumble dryer.

Topseyt Thu 07-Apr-16 00:51:02

I would be lost without my tumble dryer.

I don't use it for every load but for five people it is worth its weight in gold when weather doesn't permit washing to be hung outside.

butteredmuffin Thu 07-Apr-16 00:52:10

Get a cheap one and just use it when there isn't enough sun to dry things outside or when you need something dry in a hurry.

Topseyt Thu 07-Apr-16 00:54:14

Get new though, not second hand. Not worth taking a chance with major electrical appliances, and you get the full guarantee.

OOAOML Thu 07-Apr-16 00:56:37

I'll buck the trend - I live in a flat with no garden and don't have a tumble drier. Partly because we have a craply designed kitchen with no room for one, but I really don't miss it. We dry stuff indoors (we are careful with humidity) and get on fine. I'd love a garden with washing line, but don't think I could be bothered getting a tumble dryer now.

cozietoesie Thu 07-Apr-16 01:01:07

Get a new one (with warranty) for the winter. (Unless the secondhand one is an incredibly good deal..) There will be days and times when it will make sense.

Vintage45 Thu 07-Apr-16 01:01:22

I couldn't live without a tumble dryer. In fact mine broke a few months ago and I went to currys the same day and had to have a new one. They didn't stock the one i wanted.. they didn't even stock my next choice. I took what they had!

JakeyB Thu 07-Apr-16 01:03:43

YANBU

Expensive to buy, expensive to run, unnecessary carbon footprint and a waste of fuel resources. On the other hand, sun and wind are free, renewable, and they make you clothes smell really fresh!

And a clothes horse is fine indoors for the winter or rainy days.

cariadlet Thu 07-Apr-16 01:12:27

YANBU

I've never had a tumble drier and never wanted one. Waste of money and electricity.
But I would miss my Sheila Maid (old fashioned airer that hangs below the ceiling and has a pulley to raise and lower it). It's brilliant for drying sheets and towels on cold or rainy days.

Vintage45 Thu 07-Apr-16 01:14:04

Ok Jakey. I have a small non solar powered dwelling.

a tumble dryer
or
multiple clothes horses and heating up to max in order for clothes not to smell

Ummmm, a tumble dryer

GiddyOnZackHunt Thu 07-Apr-16 01:16:54

I love my tumble drier in the winter. I like to have the free healthy benefits of hanging washing on the line but I don't have the time to devote to coping with showery days and CBA with condensation indoors from regular driers.
Once we get to summerish weather, it'll be line drying.
Also a godsend for dc with unreliable nighttime bladders.

Qwebec Thu 07-Apr-16 01:23:26

Don't get one if you don'twant one. If you have it it will be hard to go back.

hippoherostandinghere Thu 07-Apr-16 01:37:36

My tumble dryer is an essential to me. How else do you dry clothes on a wet day? Clothes go smelly if dried on a clothes horse unless they're next to a radiator.

EveryoneElsie Thu 07-Apr-16 01:41:32

I hang the washing out. Tumble dryers are too expensive to run. Theres a laundrette across the road but they get annoyed if you go in just to use the dryer, so we just hang it in the hot cupboard to finish it off.
We dont have a problem with damp washing or anything.

dizzytomato Thu 07-Apr-16 02:03:37

YABU for using the term "first world problem" wink

You don't really need one. I rarely use mine but the times I have, I'll admit it was wonderful.

HoundoftheBaskervilles Thu 07-Apr-16 02:08:21

Tumble driers ruin clothes unless you regularly wear synthetics in which case you deserve one. HTH.

HoundoftheBaskervilles Thu 07-Apr-16 02:17:01

I have NEVER owned a tumble dryer despite leading a perfectly first world life for the last 42 years.

Why does your DP feel you need one? Is he running the clothes through a mangle and getting a bit pissed off?

Does he see clothes on a washing-line as a marker of WC failure?

Do you leave them in the basket festering until they are dry, yet smell of mould?

Does he leave his work-shirt-laundering until last-minute of a Sunday? Is this to assuage his laziness?

Are tumble dryers the mark of success as far as he is concerned? (If so, it's a small expense relating to personal esteem).

What does he conflate being a 'tumble-dryer' owner with?

These are all important questions.

butteredmuffin Thu 07-Apr-16 02:19:38

HoundoftheBaskervilles

"Does he leave his work-shirt-laundering until last-minute of a Sunday?"

You really never have owned a tumble dryer, have you?

HoundoftheBaskervilles Thu 07-Apr-16 02:36:19

No

butteredmuffin Thu 07-Apr-16 02:42:33

Put it this way. If someone asked your advice on how to do laundry and you secretly really hated them, you would advise them to dry their work shirts in the tumble dryer, then take them out and iron them. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now