Talk

Advanced search

To have expected a refund or next visit free voucher

(167 Posts)
Arkwright Wed 06-Apr-16 20:03:53

We went to the zoo for the day. Paid the extortionate entry fees for the 4 of us. Ten minutes inside the zoo my Dd was very sick. There was no warning of this she was absolutely fine before. We left straight away as she looked awful and still felt sick. My husband took her to the car and cleaned her up. I went to the desk and explained and asked if we could have a refund or a voucher to come again another day. They refused and offered us 10% off another visit. I even wrote in and received the same answer. So we paid a whole days charge for a 10 minute visit. So were the zoo being unreasonable?

LettingAgentNightmare Wed 06-Apr-16 20:05:20

No. Are you really asking?

Coldtoeswarmheart Wed 06-Apr-16 20:05:57

Arf. No.

Sirzy Wed 06-Apr-16 20:06:19

It was nice of them to give a discount off the next visit.

It isn't their fault she was ill. As frustrating as it is these things happen.

iPaid Wed 06-Apr-16 20:06:57

YWU to go to a zoo. Animals in captivity sad

SalemSaberhagen Wed 06-Apr-16 20:07:18

No, no they weren't. It's a shame for you all, and I hope your DD is feeling better, but you just need to file it under 'one of those things' I'm afraid.

2016namechangecomingalong Wed 06-Apr-16 20:08:11

Sorry YABU, it's not the zoo's fault you decided to leave early. It would have been nice of them to offer but I wouldn't have expected it.

andsoimback Wed 06-Apr-16 20:08:34

Yanbu. I'm surprised they didn't offer free visits next time if you were only there 10 mins.

NeedACleverNN Wed 06-Apr-16 20:08:37

Nope
It's nice if it was offered but you shouldn't expect it

ilovesooty Wed 06-Apr-16 20:08:49

I think offering 10% off a repeat visit was a nice gesture. I can't believe you asked for a refund.

ElsaAintAsColdAsMe Wed 06-Apr-16 20:08:55

They were very generous to offer 10% off imo.

Where do they draw the line if they start offering refunds? Half an hour? An hour? People will take the piss.

Just one of those annoying things you have to suck up when you have kids I'm afraid.

kippersyllabub Wed 06-Apr-16 20:09:04

It's unfortunate but yabu.

PPie10 Wed 06-Apr-16 20:09:11

Why is it their problem your DD was sick and you left early?how entitled of you to even have the cheek to expect anything.

Ameliablue Wed 06-Apr-16 20:09:52

They have no obligations, but it would have been good customer service.

DontcarehowIwantitnow Wed 06-Apr-16 20:11:36

YABU. You can't seriously think they should give you a free ticket do you? shock

Andrewofgg Wed 06-Apr-16 20:11:41

Just one of those annoying things you have to suck up

Perhaps not quite the phrase.

Sorry, OP, YABU.

starry0ne Wed 06-Apr-16 20:15:00

These are the rubbish parts of been a parent.. You have to suck this one up...I do wonder if she felt rubbish but didn't wan't say as she was excited...

Arkwright Wed 06-Apr-16 20:15:07

The entry cost was £70 for us. I can't see how them giving us another day free would cost them anything. I understand places have to make money but we didn't use the facilities we had paid for. I appreciate the different points of view.

zoelife111 Wed 06-Apr-16 20:15:43

just chalk it up to one of those things. We went to an expensive attraction last year, and couldn't move for the crowds. There was even a 20m queue to sit down on a picnic bench! In the end we left without participating in any single aspect of it, and just had to consider our entry fee as a donation to the monument, rather than a ticket for us to enjoy ourselves.

It happens

DontcarehowIwantitnow Wed 06-Apr-16 20:16:49

we didn't use the facilities we had paid for.

That isn't their fault though.

kippersyllabub Wed 06-Apr-16 20:17:44

Every single parent has an experience involving paying for an expensive activity which their child then doesn't participate in for some reason or another. It's frustrating, sometimes gutting if you've looked forward to it but it's just one of those things.

Hope your dd feels better soon

Lovepancakes Wed 06-Apr-16 20:19:25

I actually think yanbu, the zoo should do the nice thing here as you effectively paid and didn't go and if I were them I'd have let you as it was a shame you didn't enjoy the tickets.

Some companies use common sense, some just have inflexible 'policies' I guess.

RoganJosh Wed 06-Apr-16 20:20:08

I can't see why it would affect them to basically move your visit to another day. Yes, they are not actually obligated to refund you/let you transfer to another day bit it's pretty mean spirited not to.

Ameliablue Wed 06-Apr-16 20:24:06

In fact they are more likely to make more money by giving free entry another day as you would then have had time to spend in their shops, cafes etc. You would probably also be more inclined to return and to recommend them to others.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 06-Apr-16 20:24:11

I think YABU.

It's not their fault your dc was ill.
Anyone could say (dishonestly) they've only been there 10 minutes, and spent much longer. The zoo has to have a blanket policy.
10% was a nice gesture.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now