to think it would be common courtesy and common sense to that? possibly tmi.

(437 Posts)
someonestolemynick Wed 06-Apr-16 19:24:52

To put a bin next to the toilet.

This makes me irrationally angry: My job involves going to people's houses. Normally I will be with them between a and 4 hours, so occasionally I will have to use their toilet.
Today I'm on my period and have quite heavy flow. I was on a longer job (3hrs) and bled through my tampon. I discovered that there was no von in the bathroom. Just to be clear. I try to avoid having to change my tampon in client's houses by changing in public loos, McDonald's or Starbucks and carry scented plastic bags with me tobwrap the offender in when I have to do it at someone's house.
So, anyway, i was in the very awkward position of having a soaked tampon and no way of getting rid of it. I was in charge of a very young child - so no way of nipping out to the bins or a pub (to use the loo) and ended up stemming the flow with toilet paper and going back to working with their dc for another hour.
I will not flush a tampon down the loo because I don't want to block the clients toilet.

So, aibu to ask you all to provide a bin for female visitors?

someonestolemynick Wed 06-Apr-16 19:25:52

Title should read: ... to do that.

Vintage45 Wed 06-Apr-16 19:26:16

???? I thought you could flush a tampon down the toilet in this day and age. A sanitary towel no, but a tampon, yes.

Sparklingbrook Wed 06-Apr-16 19:27:11

YANBU. A small bin with a liner in the bathroom should be law.

ghostyslovesheep Wed 06-Apr-16 19:27:12

if it's wrapped in a bag surely you can put it in a bin in the kitchen or in your bag until later?

and carry towels so you don't have to use toilet paper?

AnyFucker Wed 06-Apr-16 19:27:45

I would not leave used tampons in someone else's ordinary bathroom bin, tbh

ghostyslovesheep Wed 06-Apr-16 19:28:04

or just flush it?

or get a mooncup grin <--- trademarked MN response

Sparklingbrook Wed 06-Apr-16 19:28:46

Never flush tampons. They can block the toilet, or the pipes and can end up anywhere, they swell up and don't disintegrate like loo roll does.

AyeAmarok Wed 06-Apr-16 19:28:56

No, don't leave a tampon in someone's bin!

Pointlessfan Wed 06-Apr-16 19:29:08

No you shouldn't flush tampons, very bad for the environment as well as blocking pipes.
I can see why you are frustrated about the lack of bin. Could you use a sanitary towel as well as a tampon? I have to do that as I'm a teacher and cannot go to the loo at all if I'm teaching.

YesThisIsMe Wed 06-Apr-16 19:29:31

You're right of course, but if you had plastic bags could you not take it out with you and put it in the kitchen bin, or carry it in your handbag until you left?

Crispbutty Wed 06-Apr-16 19:29:41

I wouldnt want to empty a bin with other peoples tampons in it. Flush them like they are meant to be disposed of.

Buzzardbird Wed 06-Apr-16 19:29:43

I have just tested the 'Fab Little Bags' (see thread in product tests) They were made for this situation.

witsender Wed 06-Apr-16 19:29:52

In the scented bag why not put it in the kitchen bin? Or in your handbag?

witsender Wed 06-Apr-16 19:30:20

Never flush them.

AyeAmarok Wed 06-Apr-16 19:30:22

They really should have invented tampons that don't clog the system by now.

If men had periods, they'd have done it by now.

Dontneedausername Wed 06-Apr-16 19:30:24

if you have a heavy period, shouldn't you have extra pads or tampons?
why not put used tampon in scented bag and into your handbag? The kitchen bin?

8misskitty8 Wed 06-Apr-16 19:30:50

If you have bags I don't see why you couldn't double bag and put it in your handbag until you got to a bin.
I wouldn't leave something like that in someone's tiny toilet bin for them to dispose of for you.

Vintage45 Wed 06-Apr-16 19:31:06

Ive always flushed them and my system is fine.

YesThisIsMe Wed 06-Apr-16 19:31:32

They are not meant to be disposed of by flushing crisp.

Sparklingbrook Wed 06-Apr-16 19:31:42

So you can't flush it and you can't put it in a non-existent bin. Carry it around in your handbag then?

Sparklingbrook Wed 06-Apr-16 19:32:40

It's not about your system it's the blocked pipes down the road on the way to the sewage works.

Vintage45 Wed 06-Apr-16 19:33:23

So do you lot just use "one" square of toilet paper to wipe a shitty arse then smile

MrsBobDylan Wed 06-Apr-16 19:33:36

Put it in your handbag. I always do that then find them days later and throw them away when I'm home.grin

AnyFucker Wed 06-Apr-16 19:34:00

People's homes are not public toilets

The families that live in them have no responsibility to dispose of your used tampons

Not every family has a bathroom bin. Some people positively abhor them . Some people don't empty them often and then might have little prying fingers go investigate those interesting little packets. ...

Look after your own hygiene. And zI say this as a fellow heavy problematic period sufferer

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now