Talk

Advanced search

to cook it n just keep it in the fridge?

(16 Posts)
tactum Wed 06-Apr-16 15:54:44

ok, sorry quick one - looking for opinions as v busy next couple of days and need to work out what to do when!

having friends (6) over for dinner Friday evening. WIBU to cook a bean chilli tomorrow (Thu) mid morning and then keep it in the fridge to reheat Friday evening? surely that will be ok and I'm not going to kill anyone?

I'll also be preparing other stuff fresh on Friday evening alongside this, but could just do with ticking something off.

please let me know what you think (by the way I have no desire to know what you think about me not serving any meat to my carnivore friends - that literally is a whole other thread!). Thanks in advance....

misskatamari Wed 06-Apr-16 15:56:25

No that will be fine. It will probably taste even better a day later, things like that always do

glasgowlass Wed 06-Apr-16 15:57:38

I've done this before. It relieves some of the stress & as long as it's cooled properly before going in fridge & covered it should be fine.
Hope the dinner goes well!

ijustwannadance Wed 06-Apr-16 15:58:42

Not a problem, just reheat thoroughly.

MrsRogerSterling Wed 06-Apr-16 16:00:24

Will be fine and like a previous poster said it will taste better for it.

Divathecat Wed 06-Apr-16 16:38:28

As long as you cook the rice fresh you will be fine and it might taste richer if kept a day.

I often work from home and cook a 5 bean chilli on Monday to last a few days, I do it with jacket one day and rice another for variety.

Can I be nosy and ask for the receipe?

CosyNook Wed 06-Apr-16 16:42:47

I sometimes cook things weeks in advance and freeze - anything to make life easier smile

GrowAndRun Wed 06-Apr-16 16:48:11

I often do this. Saves faffing about when guests are here. Either keep in fridge 1-2 days, or cook further ahead and freeze. Nothing better than having a supply of home cooked meals ready for reheating in my books!

Pantah630 Wed 06-Apr-16 16:53:10

Chilli, like curry and stews, always taste better reheated the next couple of days, lets the flavours develop. You'll be doing your guests a favour grin

MrsLettuce Wed 06-Apr-16 16:56:17

Yy, fine (and tastier) for a day in the fridge.

I orphan serve chilli with french bread and cheese, makes a nice change from rice.

WhereYouLeftIt Wed 06-Apr-16 17:00:44

Beef chilli is the kind of dish I aim to have in the fridge for a day before serving. Anything spicy, I think a day festering in the fridge improves the flavour.

TheDogsCat Wed 06-Apr-16 18:47:34

I love to cook in bulk and then stick a couple of portions in the fridge for the next couple of days and freeze the rest. Makes it a lot easier to manage. Like previous posters have said, sitting in the fridge will improve the flavour. Just make sure it's cooled down fairly quickly and properly reheated and you'll be fine. It's probably better not to cook the rice beforehand though.

tactum Wed 06-Apr-16 18:52:04

thanks all - will go ahead then. Yes I often freeze bulk cooking, but as it's for carnivores I didn't want to freeze this and risk the beans going a bit sludgy, so just wanted to check the fridge would suffice.

Diva the recipe is here: www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/236609/black-bean-chilli
Tis a simple bean chilli, but am serving it more as a side with rice. The main event will be veg fajitas with homemade guacemole, salsa, jalepenos and all the fiddly little bits.

thanks again

chickenowner Wed 06-Apr-16 18:57:57

Things like stew, curry, chilli etc taste even better the next day!

FeelingSmurfy Wed 06-Apr-16 19:06:16

We are veggie and when I make chilli half gets frozen and the rest does us two days, no difference whatsoever between fresh, fridge and frozen

Inertia Wed 06-Apr-16 19:37:26

It'll definitely taste better the next day smile

Not sure whether that's already your preferred recipe, but the Jamie Oliver bean chilli with coriander and sweet potato is delicious.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now