to start a blatent ultimate MIL thread

(82 Posts)
ollieplimsoles Wed 06-Apr-16 09:53:10

Well, more of a 'crazy things your IL's have done' but in my case its all about MIL. Alot of mil/ill threads lately I thought it might be good to have most if them in one place.

Ive spoken about some things on here but I'm not sure I ever mentioned my wedding dress so here goes: I showed mil my wedding dress, I was trying to include her in the planning of the day as she only has sons and I didn't want her to feel left out. It was a second hand cream lace full length dress and I loved it.

The following weekend we were at ILs and mil brings out the dress she has bought to wear for the wedding... Its cream lace. I didn't know what to say at the time but thankfully dh said that she would look a bit strange standing next to me in that dress. She had paid a lot of money for it, it cost more than my wedding dress and she was determined to wear it.
After many weeks of arguments and strops leading up to the day, she finally agreed to wear a different dress.
She turned up in the exact same dress, but in black lace, not cream. It was July, the hottest day of the year, and she sat and sulked all day long in a very heavy, tight black lace dress...

ceebie Wed 06-Apr-16 09:56:20

YABU to start a thread for the purpose of bitching.

whifflesqueak Wed 06-Apr-16 10:02:27

my mil bakes me lovely cakes and my fil brings ds thoughtful little gifts. yesterday it was a brochure from a company that sells tractors. ds is obsessed and hasn't put it down since.

they're nice people. I like them.

DadDadDad Wed 06-Apr-16 10:06:30

My MIL came to live with us permanently a couple of months ago. It's working fine, she's easy-going, helpful with odd bit of baby-sitting, and generally a lovely addition to the household.

Is that the kind of thing you were after for "ultimate MIL", OP? grin

DawnOfTheDoggers Wed 06-Apr-16 10:09:29

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NeedACleverNN Wed 06-Apr-16 10:09:58

My mil is trying.

She is really trying to make up for the shit she did when DH was a child and for when we first got together.

I'll give her that. We hated each other to begin with. I took her son away according to her and turned him against his family

Now though she does make an effort. Even though she slips up sometimes she still isn't as bad as some I read on here

My SIL though. I couldn't even begin to describe how much that girl needs mental fucking help

MilkTwoSugarsThanks Wed 06-Apr-16 10:10:19

ceebie - at least 80% of MN threads are solely for the purpose of bitching!

I have no MiL shit to add. My MiL was fine, it was my (now ex)H that was a twat.

LaContessaDiPlump Wed 06-Apr-16 10:12:02

YABU to start a thread for the purpose of bitching.

Surely it's better if op does it in here instead of out there..... I thought that was Mumsnet's raison d'etre, frankly.

Nottalotta Wed 06-Apr-16 10:12:42

Oh dear. This is not going as expected!

I have just dropped Ds 8months old at Mil as practice for my return to work. She's lovely. She will not do anything to cause me to worry about leaving him. Feeds him the way I do (blw) and will sit with him asleep on her if he can't settle any other way. I'm very lucky.

magratsflyawayhair Wed 06-Apr-16 10:15:52

My MIL has subbed us so we could have a lovely holiday in France with her three years on the trot. She is a star. She is super with the kids, generous with her time, and would come and help in a heartbeat if I needed her.

She's had a tough time of life for quite a number of years, we don't always see eye to eye, but that's just people, and I love her.

AnUtterIdiot Wed 06-Apr-16 10:16:51

My MIL is also very nice. She and FIL basically treat me as an additional daughter. Couldn't ask for better. They are a bit weird about teabags but otherwise I really can't fault them.

AnUtterIdiot Wed 06-Apr-16 10:17:51

Sorry, OP. This is AIBU for you. The way to get the thread you want is probably to start a thread about how lovely your MIL is grin

ollieplimsoles Wed 06-Apr-16 10:19:54

Yes, while its great some of us have lovely mils and fils, some of us don't..
However, this is not really what I started the thread for, it was more for stories on the humorous side hmm not for the purpose of bitching.

Waltermittythesequel Wed 06-Apr-16 10:20:24

My MIL texted DH on his birthday to say having him ruined her life and keeping him was the biggest mistake she's ever made.

OP, I know the type of MIL you're talking about.

Just because other people have lovely ones, doesn't mean you shouldn't have started the thread. Most of the threads on here are started to bitch about something!

ollieplimsoles Wed 06-Apr-16 10:21:23

Positive stories are great too!

This is a thread for all things mil! grin

centigrade451 Wed 06-Apr-16 10:22:34

My MIL died before I got the chance to meet her - denying me the chance to have something to bitch about on MN.

SmellsLikeMiddleAgeSpirit Wed 06-Apr-16 10:24:41

My once bright and lively MIL was so funny and energetic, was generous with time and money to all of us and had such a joie de vivre.
She now has Alzheimer's and is in a nursing home. It's so sad. It makes my day if I go to visit her and she remembers me and the DC.

chickenowner Wed 06-Apr-16 10:26:45

My MIL and FIL gave my DP £300,000 which he used to buy our home - a gorgeous 3 bedroom cottage.

:-)

rwilkinson84 Wed 06-Apr-16 10:29:02

Mines is a FMIL:

-She doesn't like me because I have my own opinions
-She thinks I can't 'run a household' because she doesn't agree with my choice of cushions
-She doesn't think we understand the term marriage because we're having a unique and very personal wedding (coming from the woman who has separated from her husband twice)
-She doesn't like that I won't let her rearrange my kitchen and this has translated to her as excluding her from her sons life
-Thinks her son has been lured into a false trap and that I'm only after his money

Lovely woman hmm

YouTheCat Wed 06-Apr-16 10:34:10

I lived with my exmil for 16 years. It was hell. She is a very stubborn, interfering woman.

She had a go at me the day my late father was having surgery to remove a malignant melanoma because I hadn't taken my baby twins out. I was waiting by the phone to find out he was okay, post op.

The day my mother died, very suddenly, she hugged me and then said (exact words) 'I'll be your mummy now'. angry

When dd was 10 exmil came down in a rage, calling her a little bitch because she hadn't wanted to go out to visit one of exmil's elderly friends.

She invited her aunt, who I'd never met, to my wedding and then vetoed exh's half brother and his wife.

When I told her I was having twins she looked aghast and said I'd never cope - like I had any choice but to cope.

This is just what I can think of off the top of my head. Every day there was drama and she still falls out with neighbours on a weekly basis.

Gwenci Wed 06-Apr-16 10:36:04

My MIL is lovely. She comes to my house to sit with DS and give him dinner while I go pick up DD from nursery. She'll randomly take an afternoon off work just to have the DC and 'give me a break' and she insists on taking my washing two or three times a week and doing it for me as I have trouble getting clothes dry in our house.

I'm very very lucky.

YouTheCat Wed 06-Apr-16 10:36:36

Ollie, I still remember your thread about when you were pregnant and she was interfering then. How did that turn out?

Somerville Wed 06-Apr-16 10:37:13

My late MIL lost her husband just as her sons all left home. So she became a bit overinvested in their life choices.

Thankfully BIL1's wife was more unsuitable than me - something to do with a washing machine. confused

And then DH and I were the first to give her a GC, so I became her favourite, which turned out to be quite hard work.

But once DD was old enough to leave with her, she proved herself a kick-ass babysitter and my DC all loved her and still miss her. smile

LuciaInFurs Wed 06-Apr-16 10:37:36

My MIL let us know via a letter in DH's birthday card that she would not be attending our wedding and had told the rest of her family not to attend either. This was after we called her to say that we were going to pay for the venue and food. Our wedding party was 38 people her family is 12 people so a large percentage.

My MIL also asked BIL not to marry his wife as she is Chinese and I quote 'inscrutable'. DH and I are different races and she's made comments about everything from my hair to how strange it is that a brown person has a degree in Shakespearean literature and does not like hot weather.

At FIL's retirement party MIL introduced everyone family member on the table except me. FIL's colleagues thought I was an old colleague rather than family and kept inviting me to sit with them and reminisce about FIL's odd working habits. When I finally explained who I was, the response was 'Are you sure, Jane (MIL) didn't mention you'.

After party I was also 'asked' to clean up the party venue while the rest of the family left. Haven't visited in three years.

My mother isn't much better but her behaviour is aimed at me rather than DH.

OP, YANBU.

katienana Wed 06-Apr-16 10:39:23

My mil is also dead but I still want to read about all the batshit ones please

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now