photos of my DC on FB

(69 Posts)
wannabehippyandcrazycatlover Tue 05-Apr-16 18:41:06

I really don't know if IABU so will happily take a flaming if needs be.

My SIL posted some photos of my DC (with an overly emotional post) on FB today and didn't ask if it would be okay and didn't tag either her DB or me in them.

Am I right to feel a little miffed? I don't really post many photos and I have no idea who can see SIL posts (I know she has random guys from tinder on there).

Champagneformyrealfriends Tue 05-Apr-16 18:43:43

I don't think YABU-but I'm really weird about FB and photos of children. Each to their own but we haven't put any photos of dd on yet (only 1 week old lol) and don't intend on doing either. She should have asked first IMO.

Waltermittythesequel Tue 05-Apr-16 18:45:02

What do you think will happen to your dc if someone sees the photo?

Goingtobeawesome Tue 05-Apr-16 18:45:15

What is annoying you - the photos or the overly emotional comment?

PPie10 Tue 05-Apr-16 18:46:05

Yabvu- what sinister thing are you expecting to happen now that she posted a picture.

imeatingthechocolate Tue 05-Apr-16 18:46:24

what was so overly emotional about the post? was it gushy? was it passive aggressive was it directed at you? against your children? what?

UmbongoUnchained Tue 05-Apr-16 18:47:24

My Facebook is a shrine to my daughter haha!

PennyHasNoSurname Tue 05-Apr-16 18:48:07

I think it entirely acceptable for parents to want to keep their dcs faces/info off social media, and had that been a decision I made then id expect my friends and family to follow suit and not over rule me. However you dont say that you dont post photos of your kids so maybe she thinks you dont mind photos in public so posted them.

CommanderShepherd Tue 05-Apr-16 18:48:08

I would ask her to take it down. I'm very private on Facebook, I mostly use it for website/hobby feed updates. maybe tell everyone that you want photos of child kept to a minimum.

thestarryeyedsurprise Tue 05-Apr-16 18:49:05

I don't think YABU. They are your children, not hers so she should have asked.

wannabehippyandcrazycatlover Tue 05-Apr-16 18:49:10

I'm not entirely sure what I think might happen?...I just feel like she should have asked first?

It's the photos, although the post was a little excessive.

Waltermittythesequel Tue 05-Apr-16 18:50:52

I just never really understand what someone's problem is with this, unless it's a case of not wanting their child identified (a dangerous ex, for example).

Nobody should be posting pictures of your child, I suppose. But then I think of my mum posting a picture of my ds after his football match the other day and can't really see the harm...

Itinerary Tue 05-Apr-16 18:51:05

YANBU. It's polite to check the other person doesn't mind before posting a photo of their children, and impolite to just do it without asking. It's about respecting other people's preferences on this, even if they're not the same as yours.

wannabehippyandcrazycatlover Tue 05-Apr-16 18:51:37

Yes, I think you are probably right in that, as I do post the occasional picture she thinks that it's okay. I probably am being unreasonable aren't I?

wannabehippyandcrazycatlover Tue 05-Apr-16 18:53:03

That's my thoughts itinerary- it's just polite to at least ask if I minded?

Coldtoeswarmheart Tue 05-Apr-16 18:54:32

YANBU. I'm never comfortable with pics of my kids on Facebook. I don't need a reason why.

louise987 Tue 05-Apr-16 19:00:19

YANBU
your DC is your DC and in my opinion you should be asked before photos are posted on social media. Pictures you share with her are your business and if you wanted to share them you would. I'd have a polite word with her and hopefully she'll understand. If not you can report the post and gave FB remove it for you.

I had a similar experience with my DC with a family member announcing her birth by her uploading and tagging me in a picture. People don't think. FB blurs the boundaries (for some people at least )

EverySongbirdSays Tue 05-Apr-16 19:01:11

What did the post say?

wannabehippyandcrazycatlover Tue 05-Apr-16 19:02:55

Imeatingthechocolate it was overly gushy and dramatic saying how her and my DC 'were best friends forever'. My DC is 5 months old.

oneowlgirl Tue 05-Apr-16 19:04:24

I post lots of photos on FB but they're my children & my choice (& DHs obviously) & I'd be very angry if someone else posted photos of them without asking me or DH first.

oneowlgirl Tue 05-Apr-16 19:05:14

That comment would bug me more than the photo tbh. Completely unnecessary & ridiculous.

Tatiana11235 Tue 05-Apr-16 19:07:01

My mum and my SIL post pictures of my DD on Facebook. They never asked me if they could and it never crossed my mind to question it.
You could just tell her you prefer for her not to share the photos as you're not comfortable with it. I'm sure she'll understand smile

katienana Tue 05-Apr-16 19:09:04

My mil posted up a scan photo of ds that I'd pmd her! If I'd wanted it on Facebook I'd have put it there myself.

LIZS Tue 05-Apr-16 19:10:26

Any chance she's limited who can see it? Dbro doesn't like me posting his kids' pics but apparently others can confused

wannabehippyandcrazycatlover Tue 05-Apr-16 19:12:10

LIZS no, in fact I've just checked and anyone can see it as its public.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now