Talk

Advanced search

I know you love a good parking thread! So in this instance AIBU?

(18 Posts)
Youarentkiddingme Tue 05-Apr-16 18:25:59

Live in new build estate. You know the sort with houses and flats, some driveways, some on street parking and a lot of spaces with numbers corresponding to house/flats.

There are also a few visitor spaces in each car park area.

I live in a block of 4 flats. Only 2 of us have cars. 2 of us had an agreement with my old neighbour our visitors could use his space when they came - unless he had visitors (which was rare!)

Some neighbours obviously cottoned onto to the fact the space was empty overnight and cars began appearing on driveway at nighttime but always gone for whole day - I expect they are at work.

New neighbour moved in a few weeks ago. They are doing up the flat before moving permanently. He doesn't have a car but his family do and are here most days helping with decorating etc.

Recently, past week or so, cars have been using their space and leaving car there for 2/3 days without going out. Neighbour asked me if space was there's and I said yes everyone had allocated space. They asked because agent said the space wasn't part of the flat. Maybe they are owned by grounds company? Who knows? But it clearly has the number on it - and what's the point of numbering them if they intend for people to park where the feck they like!

So I speak to new neighbour yesterday and say I'm happy to park in their space and they use mine when they come - I said i didn't think anyone would use my space as they know it's occupied daily. I did this and car parks in my space overnight and so neighbour still couldn't use her space when she came today.

Been out all afternoon and when I came back both spaces are empty - so I've parked over them both blush

AIBU to do this to prevent some random dumping their car there this evening and possibly not moving it again for 3 days? I'm out early tomorrow for whole day trip with DS so I know I'm not preventing new neighbour using her space when she comes.

MooPointCowsOpinion Tue 05-Apr-16 18:29:19

I'd say YANBU and you're helping your new neighbour out, which is kind of you.

The person parking there probably doesn't realise it's a big deal, blissfully unaware, and will just be puzzled by your sideways parking.

Sirzy Tue 05-Apr-16 18:30:12

I don't know if you are being unreasonable or not but I would have done he same!

Is it always the same car? If so maybe your neighbour could leave a polite note explaining that the flat has changed owners now and they need the space

Gazelda Tue 05-Apr-16 18:33:13

I think you need to clarify whether the numbered spaces are allocated to your property. Do you own or do you rent?

Youarentkiddingme Tue 05-Apr-16 18:35:06

No different cars. (But always the same 3 iyswim?) But I think there is a group of young people all flat sharing opposite and I think they have a number of cars between them.

I did suggest note but it keeps pissing it down with rain! Plus they can still park in space - ignore note!

getyourfingeroutyournose Tue 05-Apr-16 18:40:46

You need to find out if you actually have a right to those spaces... I think maybe the other people have cottoned on to the fact that maybe you don't but the numbers suggest you do so you need to find out. If you own it I would suggest one of those bollards you can lock when they're and and put down when you want your car there or perhaps you can put something else up to stop access?

Youarentkiddingme Tue 05-Apr-16 18:58:04

Well the people parking there have thri own numbered space - I suspect they have more than one car and don't want to use street parking.

I was told space is mine by my landlord.

I have no idea if neighbour rents or owns - but they said when they asked about space they were told it wasn't there's despite being numbered.

My other neighbour, with car, has same landlord and was told same re space being theirs.

Imsapect it's a moral/civil/ethical situation rather than a legal one!

ToucheShay Tue 05-Apr-16 19:17:36

Park behind them so they can't leave!

LBOCS2 Tue 05-Apr-16 21:21:37

Ask the management company, they should have details of where the spaces are assigned.

Littleallovertheshop Tue 05-Apr-16 21:47:52

YANBU but is it possible the space is being let out by the landlord?

Youarentkiddingme Tue 05-Apr-16 22:09:59

I don't know if neighbour is renting - the way she spoke sounded like its bought. It her son's flat.

Funny you should say that re parking them in. When I moved in they were still building - the site office was opposite my flat. Contractors kept parking in my space, building site manger (who was a lovely fella) apologised to me repeatedly and kept saying he'd told them not to as was mine - hence number.
One day when I came back in piss pouring rain with DS asleep up I couldn't park. There were still no pavements due to the who owns what bit. The guy actually told me to park contractor in and take my time moving car when he asks.
Just so happened DS was eating dinner when he buzzed. No one parked there again!

It's not worked anyway. The car that's been parked in neighbours space has now parked in my other neighbours space - they do have a car and so obviously use it.

Clearly these people think they can park anywhere - and they must have more than one car because every single property on the estate has a numbered space.

Youarentkiddingme Tue 05-Apr-16 22:11:22

Plus it's not the same car everytime. The main culprit has started doing it past week - 3 weeks after neighbour got their flat and asked about space.

Youarentkiddingme Tue 05-Apr-16 22:12:21

Btw the numbers are painted in the spaces - that's what I mean by clearly allocated!

Arkwright Tue 05-Apr-16 22:57:10

Put a note inside a sandwich bag that way it won't get wet. I had to leave a note a few weeks ago on a car who kept parking in the middle of two spaces on the street. Parking is so limited but they seem to have got the message.

Rainbunny Wed 06-Apr-16 00:33:23

There must be some form of recourse if others keep parkin in an allocated space surely? Otherwise they'll never stop using other people's parking spaces. Can a towing company be called?

Youarentkiddingme Wed 06-Apr-16 06:40:26

My other neighbour has left a note in sandwich bag and I've apologised for causing them to park there. They said it wasn't my fault - the space I've parked over isn't there's either.

Let's see what happens!

Youarentkiddingme Wed 06-Apr-16 06:41:20

My iPad clearly has no grammar check blush

SouthWesterlyWinds Wed 06-Apr-16 10:49:59

If the new neighbour has been told the parking pavement theirs, you may find that the parking space has actually been rented out to another party.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now