Talk

Advanced search

Graphic design one

(13 Posts)
oohlalala Tue 05-Apr-16 17:58:00

So you're asked to design something, leaflet, brochure etc etc. Text is provided to you as a rough version. You put the thing together, make it look pretty, then the client statts sending about 50 million text amendments for you to go through because they couldn't provide you with the signed off agreed text. Grrrr. That is all.

MrsBobDylan Tue 05-Apr-16 18:32:17

I work on the other side of this and feel your dispair. It is my life's fucking work trying to explain that it will not speed things up to send over the text we've got, until it's completed and proofed.

Also, idiotic amendments like 'can the designer make this page look more creative...'.

ollieplimsoles Tue 05-Apr-16 18:37:30

YANBU,

I'm an illustrator and my agents are supposed to protect my time from client's little changes of mind... but it never happens.

"it's great but could you go back through the book and remove the mouse's clothes?" after they told me the mouse should wear dungarees.

seven201 Tue 05-Apr-16 19:12:02

I used to do a bit of freelance graphics. I did a Chinese take away leaflet once and when I sent the first version added that if they wanted me to correct their English (it was awful) then I didn't mind. They said yes and I spent ages correcting it for them to later ask to change it back to the incorrect version confused. I think I got £40 for that leaflet and they were annoyed that I didn't want to come and sit in their restaurant that was not near where I lived while I made the leaflet.

Girlwhowearsglasses Tue 05-Apr-16 19:26:05

That's what Lorem Ipsum is for - never design with draft text in place. Always use Lorem Ipsum and agree that they've spell checked their own text first- or it's extra to proof it.

It's also easier to 'see' the design and not get hung up on wording.

Ive had to go through entire websites changing capitalisation because they hadn't sorted out their style guide and someone had decided it was trendy to have brand names all caps/no caps.

'Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.'
'

Redderred Tue 05-Apr-16 19:26:21

How you ever looked at www.clientsfromhell.net
Some people shock

Redderred Tue 05-Apr-16 19:28:53

Have*

Pookythebear Tue 05-Apr-16 20:01:44

Frustrating, isn't it? When I was freelancing, I'd just say to myself 'oh well, the meter is running...' This was also applied to a client saying 'we love it! But could you just change the colours, images and perhaps try another font...' grin

zoomtothespoon Tue 05-Apr-16 20:18:10

YANBU

Guy I do some PA work for had client sign off declaration 'I have spell checked and proof read my copy'

Client then moaned about endless grammar errors (it was atrocious).

oohlalala Tue 05-Apr-16 21:12:46

I'm glad to hear I'm not alone in this! The thing I don't get about lorem ipsum is how do you know how much text they're going to give you to do the design? I've tried this before and inevitably they give more or less text which messes it all up anyway! Clients from hell is ace!

MadAboutFourteen Tue 05-Apr-16 21:19:24

Yeah, this happens to me too. Really frustrating. I now add in a clause that says text amendments cost extra.

BeALert Tue 05-Apr-16 22:13:44

After the second text amendment comes through I tend to say 'And now I'm adding an hourly rate onto the original fee for any further corrections.'

I massively sympathise though. It's fecking annoying.

AndOtherIdiotsBlog Tue 05-Apr-16 22:57:08

'Please duplicate and update this (half page, landscape) advert with our new logo.'

Oh right? Where is it for?

'The (full page, portrait) ad I've just booked.

Right you are then...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now