To take out British Gas homecare on behalf of my landlord

(9 Posts)
focusedmum Tue 05-Apr-16 13:29:16

Been here 6 years and not had one gas / boiler check.

I know it is illegal on his part but we are happy here and don't want to cause problems. We have mentioned it several times so short of getting firm and risk upsetting him I do not know what else to do. There is no agent. Plus we pay £100 a month under market rent and could do with keeping it that way.

Homecare is an option right? They do annual services i think and are a good price.

LIZS Tue 05-Apr-16 13:34:25

I think they do a ll package. The basic one is boiler only , not the full ch system.

curren Tue 05-Apr-16 13:51:58

I don't think you can.

I used to work for British Gas home care. But left 3 years ago.

As you don't own the boiler you can't give permission for it to be worked on. It used to render your agreement null and void if/when they find out you rent the property not own it.

It may have changed since I left.

HermioneJeanGranger Tue 05-Apr-16 13:58:46

I don't think you can as you don't own the property.

Oooblimey Tue 05-Apr-16 14:33:51

I'm shocked at your landlord, you should be having an annual gas safety check by law. I hope you've at least got a carbon monoxide alarm.

Oooblimey Tue 05-Apr-16 14:36:22

It cost about £80 for a plumber to come and do the safety certificate, it's not right but to put your mind at rest you could get it done yourself?

UpsiLondoes Tue 05-Apr-16 14:38:05

It's about £80 for a gas check where I live. Takes 10-15 min. If you're paying £100 under the market rate a month and want peace of mind, you can get it done. We own our home and get the boiler "serviced" which is a bit like a gas check plus another £20-40 quid and 15 more minutes once every couple of years.

UpsiLondoes Tue 05-Apr-16 14:38:46

Same thought as oooblimey

Oooblimey Tue 05-Apr-16 14:43:50

Great minds and all that Ups! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now