Talk

Advanced search

To want to give the kids the bigger room?

(13 Posts)
primitivemom Tue 05-Apr-16 00:14:15

Ok, so we live in a new build flat and bedrooms are small. Ours is slightly bigger and a better shape, when we moved in we just took the bigger room without putting much thought into it. Now the kids are bigger 11 and 8 I feel they need the bigger room as you can't swing a cat in theirs, hardly any room for toys, dancing around etc. Dp is adamant that he won't swap rooms as the bigger one is his room! He likes it etc etc. all he does in there is sleep Ffs! Am I being unreasonable to want the kids to have the bigger room? Or is he being a twunt? angry

PerspicaciaTick Tue 05-Apr-16 00:16:38

Is the rest of the flat taken over with kids stuff? Maybe you could sell the idea to your DP that the DCs would keep more of their clutter in their room if it was bigger and the rest of the flat would start to feel like a more grown-up space?

BackInTheRealWorld Tue 05-Apr-16 00:19:03

I agree that kids should have the bigger room. They use it fir much more than just sleeping.

JakeyB Tue 05-Apr-16 00:23:23

I had this problem with my EX, when our DCs got too big for their room. The only way I got him to budge was by letting all the children's stuff spill over into the rest of the house, and saying "if only they had a bigger room" every time he complained (daily).

I also had new new room layouts ready in my head so that I could drop them in as a practical solution when certain issues were brought up. It took a few months, but one day he had this brilliant idea of swapping rooms with the DCs to give them more space...

Find a way to make him think it was his idea and you'll get there. wink

BackforGood Tue 05-Apr-16 00:24:41

I agree with you too - dc do much more than sleep in their room, so it makes sense for them to have the one with more space.

jellybeans Tue 05-Apr-16 00:59:30

We have the small room and kids have the big ones

primitivemom Tue 05-Apr-16 01:01:54

Thanks for the replies.. He is so stubborn about this, it's driving me nuts angry

MattDillonsPants Tue 05-Apr-16 01:02:46

You're correct. It's not as if you have toys and things! We did the same as you want to when we lived in a two bed cottage and we only had one child at that point!

We didn't want her toys clogging the house up so she got the larger room.

I would put my foot right down in your position OP>

chanice Tue 05-Apr-16 01:09:21

I'm going to have to do that soon I have three children in a small two bed flat. When my youngest starts sleeping through I'm going to put her and the two boys in my room and move into the boys room. I don't spemnd much time in my room except to sleep whereas they go in their room quite a lot so it makes more sense.

primitivemom Tue 05-Apr-16 01:29:34

Think I will put my foot down Matt wink

HeteronormativeHaybales Tue 05-Apr-16 07:08:25

Your dp is being a twunt. Weird but very common ideas about the adults 'deserving' the bigger room, I suspect. We have similar set-up and the dc are in the bigger room with enormous walk-in wardrobe which is their little den as well as being perfect for all their stuff. We and baby dd are in the small room. It's fine for now and we'll move in a couple of years when she needs her own little room.

TreadSoftlyOnMyDreams Tue 05-Apr-16 12:41:43

Start storing all the noisy toys in your room for those early Saturday morning quality time with parent moments ? grin

Beth2511 Tue 05-Apr-16 12:44:57

If you could fiy a double bed into the small room we would do the same in an instant... Our lounge resembles smyths!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now