Talk

Advanced search

To think that people who want to sleep can go to bed?

(43 Posts)
chemenger Mon 04-Apr-16 15:57:21

On holiday in a holiday house, seven of us. One living room. Mil has just come back from an outing and settled down on the sofa for a sleep. So now the rest of us have to tip toe round probably for the rest of the afternoon. I am partial to a snooze from time to time but I would rather do my snoring and dribbling in private. I understand that sometimes people fall asleep unintentionally but it just seems odd to deliberately settle down in the only public room. Is this just another way that I am out of step with the world or is she being odd?

WorraLiberty Mon 04-Apr-16 15:59:26

Why do you have to tiptoe round? confused

MrsKCastle Mon 04-Apr-16 15:59:59

She is being very odd. And selfish.

dementedpixie Mon 04-Apr-16 16:00:31

Make lots of noise and maybe she will bugger off to bed

tkband3 Mon 04-Apr-16 16:01:55

Don't tiptoe around! You'll probably find that you don't disturb her, but if you do, suggest she goes for a nice comfy nap in her room, so that she's not woken up.

WorraLiberty Mon 04-Apr-16 16:02:22

When I was a kid my grandparents always settled down for a snooze on their chairs in the lounge, but they slept through all manner of noise and never expected anyone to be quiet.

Perhaps she feels the same?

Owllady Mon 04-Apr-16 16:02:52

This is why you should never go on holiday with your MIL. By the end of the week you'll be starting a
My MIL is breathing, post

slicedfinger Mon 04-Apr-16 16:03:14

I'd say it is perfectly normal! DB, and Dmil are both famous for it, and neither expect people to tip toe round them. If they went off to bed, we'd worry they were ill, a nap on the sofa/floor/armchair is more of a lovely relaxed chill out time thing. I always take it as a bit of a compliment that people I'm close to are relaxed enough around me to do it. Not if they're just popping by for a coffee mind you, but on holiday, or after Christmas lunch!

Aprille Mon 04-Apr-16 16:03:18

Nope. If she's that tired she can head into bed instead of hogging the entire living room like Cleopatra. It's really rude to expect everyone else to inconvenience themselves when there is a perfectly good bed in another room.

Turn the telly onto some annoying childrens programme and make her squish up on the sofa with the DC.

Sirzy Mon 04-Apr-16 16:03:20

She can sleep where she likes, but she can't expect people to tip toe around her when she is sleeping in a public area.

AnotherCiderPlease Mon 04-Apr-16 16:03:29

Stop tip toeing around - in fact if you get the kids to start playing a card game noisily nearby she won't do it again!

slicedfinger Mon 04-Apr-16 16:04:01

Oh, and you must photograph them. Preferably with an almost empty champagne glass in their hand, and their mouth slightly open.

FannyFifer Mon 04-Apr-16 16:05:39

My mil tried this when staying in my house.
I just told her to go to bed if she was tired.
Bugger that for a carry on, don't put up with it.

5Foot5 Mon 04-Apr-16 16:07:35

I think it is perfectly reasonable to have a bit of a nod in the chair. But it would be unreasonable to expect other people to be quiet while you do.

As PP say, definitely don't tiptoe around. If she complains then nicely suggest she goes to lie down instead. She probably doesn't expect you to be quiet.

OpenMe Mon 04-Apr-16 16:07:43

You don't tiptoe around someone sleeping on the sofa during the day (unless, maybe, they're very ill). You ridicule them, put silly hats on them and take photos.

Aprille Mon 04-Apr-16 16:09:58

Ooh yes! Get the crayola markers and let the DC express their creativity grin

Then put it on FB.

Narp Mon 04-Apr-16 16:10:00

oh god, my DH does that, and it boils my bones because he can fall asleep at the drop of a hat and i can't, so i irrationally resent it.

mind you, we don't tip-toe round - he also sleeps like a log

curren Mon 04-Apr-16 16:10:03

My mum always did this when we were younger but the expected everyone to be quiet and tip toe round. She refused to go to bed. Fucking pissed me off and caused loads of rows between mum and dbro and also dad.

In this situation would say it depends on wether she expects you all to be quiet to accommodate her.

Narp Mon 04-Apr-16 16:10:33

owllady grin

2rebecca Mon 04-Apr-16 16:13:37

She can choose to snooze on the sofa, you can choose to ignore her and get on with your evening. If she's hogging the whole of the sofa I'd send her up to bed though and would tell her that in future if she's tired can she go up to bed and not monopolise the sofa as it seems pointless sleeping on it when she has a bed and it's different to being at home when it doesn't affect other people.

chemenger Mon 04-Apr-16 16:13:41

i like that suggestion sliced! Facebook here we come! I should say it seems to be a family trait, I appear to be the only person over 35 who can stay awake from breakfast to bed time, sometimes it's like being in sleeping beauty's castle. The children are too old and to kind (stealth boast) to be enlisted to noisy games and I would feel guilty. So really it's a problem of my own making smile.

MrsTerryPratchett Mon 04-Apr-16 16:14:36

One word; Sharpie.

MiffleTheIntrovert Mon 04-Apr-16 16:15:44

Another word ( or maybe two)

Bop It

Your DCs will love one.

<evil>

howabout Mon 04-Apr-16 16:16:49

My Dbro always falls asleep in the chair at our house and the DC just carry on regardless until they want him for something. My Mum has strong objections to me taking myself off for 5 minutes peace in my bedroom or even the kitchen. Would be no problem for me to fall asleep in front of her or vice versa.

Definitely think there is an expectations gap going on.

PS If I fall asleep in front of the TV please wake me up because I am sick of missing everything I sit down to watch.

chemenger Mon 04-Apr-16 16:19:30

We've been on holiday loads of times with them and we do have a great time, it's just this one thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now