Talk

Advanced search

to declaw my baby?

(37 Posts)
Fannycraddock79 Mon 04-Apr-16 15:05:26

Ffs I'm fed up being scratched to death while she's feeding, can I just take her to the vets?

chubbyandcheerful Mon 04-Apr-16 15:07:23

Scratch mittens?

Oysterbabe Mon 04-Apr-16 15:08:02

Have you tried cutting her nails?

Binglesplodge Mon 04-Apr-16 15:09:14

Urgh, I remember that stage! Seemed to last for ages and I didn't enjoy feeding when he was scratching my skin off several times a day... Sympathy: have you tried a safe necklace for her to fiddle with instead? Or have you any bf tops that don't expose much skin? I have a couple of JoJo maman ones which were good because there wasn't much opportunity for scratching...

May09Bump Mon 04-Apr-16 15:11:30

www.scratchsleeves.co.uk

Use above products, they are fantastic - we used them for eczema in DS, but should work for your issue.

Fannycraddock79 Mon 04-Apr-16 15:15:49

I do cut and also file hem but before you know it they're back, also it's not just the scratching but the pinch/scratch which she has perfected where the delicate skin gets pinched between her nails. She is 8 months and so stubborn, if I move the top up to cover she throws a fit. I do let her play with my necklace, and I also try and hold her hand while she drifts off. Thanks for the info,I will try the scratch mitts or fold over her babygro sleeves but i suspect she's enjoying inflicting the pain tiny sadist.

putthePuffindown Mon 04-Apr-16 15:21:33

Ouch! We have only bought sleepsuits/tops with built in scratch mitts to avoid this so far, but I don't know what we'll do once dd grows out of 3-6 size as I don't think any 6-9 have them. Might give bingles necklace suggestion a try.

MyBeloved Mon 04-Apr-16 15:24:20

It's illegal in this country thankfully. Don't get a cat of you can't handle the s ratchet stage

It's very very very cruel and akin to removing the top joint of each finger.

Yes yabu.

whois Mon 04-Apr-16 15:27:11

MyBeloved she's talking about her actual baby human... And make a small joke about the bad scratching she is receiving. Read the OP before posting??

WorraLiberty Mon 04-Apr-16 15:28:38

I'm not sure if MyBeloved is joking or not, but it's made me grin grin

YANBU OP. Have you tried the mittens?

HackerFucker22 Mon 04-Apr-16 15:30:53

I know that you are really going to declaw your baby, but have to be a bit of a pendant and point out the declawing cats is inhumane and yes thankfully illegal in this country!!

GinAndColonic Mon 04-Apr-16 15:31:06

Oh, the pinch and twist, a favourite of my babies. It's a habit they'll grow out of it until they learn the smack you hard in the face whilst they're feeding habit

BaskingTrout Mon 04-Apr-16 15:31:24

any chance she would tolerate having socks pulled over her hands? I found DD could get scratch mits off very easily, but had more trouble with socks because I could pull them up to near her elbows. sometimes she would be ok with them and sometimes she would get the total rage so I would end up having to take them off.

trashcanjunkie Mon 04-Apr-16 15:41:04

Oh my word I couldn't bear this! I've got a hangy mole which one of my ds managed to half remove. I can honestly confess to visualising punching my baby when this happened. Obviously I didn't and I'm mortified, but, that said, I had to stop the picking and scratching. At eight months you could teach her not to. Yes she might have a shit fit, however, it wouldn't take long. They're bloody clever. Saying no firmly and if needs be stop feeding each time. Get a little chamois leather and make her a fiddly rag or something. Your décolletage needs you!

firewithfire Mon 04-Apr-16 15:53:20

I've got the same baby and she's also learning to pinch and leave bruises! I'm having to let the pinching and scratching go as she is ALSO biting occasionally which Really has to stop, and if I removed her all the times she hurt me, she'd never get fed.

Let's leave them in a room together?

Fannycraddock79 Mon 04-Apr-16 15:56:51

I am trying to tell her no as with the occasional nip I get too! Fire I do hope you aren't suggesting baby baiting grin--give them a taste of their own medicine.--

MiscellaneousAssortment Mon 04-Apr-16 17:08:05

Bear baiting is a cruel and terrible torture for the dog and bear, and has been illegal in the UK since 1835. You should know better.

grin

lankylad90 Mon 04-Apr-16 17:11:35

The solution here is quite simple, just amputate.... below the elbow of course we're not savages.

timemaychangeme Mon 04-Apr-16 17:14:17

Dgd has adopted the pinch with nails dug in to neck area. Wow it hurts. She does it when she is cross about having to nap or being dressed. Id never thought of declawing but it's the sensible thing to do. Will ask DD to sort it before I next visit

acasualobserver Mon 04-Apr-16 17:16:02

Just out of interest, is it cruel to put scratch mittens on a cat?

Strokethefurrywall Mon 04-Apr-16 17:16:16

This thread has made me chortle grin

howabout Mon 04-Apr-16 17:18:21

Have you tried holding her hand while feeding says the woman who has always had to cut her hair due to hair pulling 6 month olds.

Also I agree now might be a good time to start teaching no. Easy to sound like you really mean it when you are being scratched raw.

PeaceLoveAndJaffaCakes Mon 04-Apr-16 17:59:30

Oh dear god, just when I thought I'd forgotten how awful the baby stage was.
I took DS off every single time he bit me, and put him on the floor and ignored him. I found saying No and reacting made him do it more the evil little bastard. I wonder if that would work for this? Although DS now fiddles with his own neck when he drinks his milk from a bottle confused

Wizzles Mon 04-Apr-16 18:40:08

Can I throw my baby in the scratchy-room too?

She's also developed a lovely throat-punch sad

Fannycraddock79 Mon 04-Apr-16 18:46:00

Yes wizzles, she will fit in well. My baby also does a nice line in bottom lip rippers and bottom teeth wrenching.

Btw am laughing wondering how beloved thought I was feeding my 'cat' for her to be able to scratch me like that hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now