Talk

Advanced search

…To find constant eating at work annoying?

(9 Posts)
PageStillNotFound404 Mon 04-Apr-16 14:22:09

I have a day off today and at first I thought I’d gone deaf. Then I realised it’s just the blessed, blessed peace of not having to listen to my colleague chewing, chomping and gulping all the livelong day.

I work in an open plan office and while I’ve learned to ‘screen out’ a lot of background noise in order to concentrate, it’s impossible not to notice some sounds or to be drawn back into the general hubbub from time to time. Without a shadow of a doubt, the most annoying noise is the constant rustle-rustle-chomp-chomp-gulp-gulp of my colleague who sits behind me. I use the word “constant” advisedly because she just doesn’t seem to stop. She’s a chain eater. I don’t know whether it’s an uncontrollable appetite, boredom, or if she’s trying to be the hostess with the mostest to Timmy Tapeworm, but dear [insert deity of choice] it’s annoying.

AIBU to want to condemn all Constant Eaters to having to work in a hypothetical room by themselves where they can out-crunch each other and not disturb the rest of us? (A really poky room with temperamental air conditioning and a printer that always needs the toner cartridge replacing.)

Jojoriley Mon 04-Apr-16 14:48:21

YANBU I too hate this. My pet hat is crisp eaters on trains. If I worked next to one of these I would be murderous

PageStillNotFound404 Mon 04-Apr-16 16:53:02

Oh yes Jojoriley. If you're eating crisps in close proximity to others, suck.

Thisisnotausername Mon 04-Apr-16 16:55:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ChemistryHunt Mon 04-Apr-16 16:59:42

I feel your pain. I sit next to a constant eater too, who is also my manager. They eat all day long sucking slurping and chomping as they go.

I really struggle with certain types of noise as it is, eating being one of the worse. I go between feeling intense rage and wanting to vomit when I hear myth noises.

Luckily I can have headphones on all day long. If I couldn't I would have had to leave by now.

Tootsiepops Mon 04-Apr-16 17:01:25

Have you got misophonia?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misophonia

Queenbean Mon 04-Apr-16 17:05:37

God this is awful. I definitely have misophonia

But I also think that a lot of people cant / don't eat quietly or have any awareness of how rank they sound when the chomp

If you eat a banana with your mouth open its going to sound disgusting

MLGs Mon 04-Apr-16 17:06:58

I do it a bit when working. However rarely work around others. Usually from home if doing paperwork.

PageStillNotFound404 Mon 04-Apr-16 17:21:14

I do it a bit when working. However rarely work around others. Usually from home if doing paperwork.

Okay, you might be spared the Room of Doom.

Given that it is a Saturnalia miracle that I haven’t murdered my DH because of his snoring, or because of his even more annoying habit of running his fingernails absentmindedly up and down the thigh of his jeans while watching TV until I snarl “you’re doing it AGAIN”, then I reckon misophonia could well be my Thing.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now