Got my neighbours parking tickets

(45 Posts)
Valmur Mon 04-Apr-16 09:47:39

My OH and I are moving today. The removers organised to have the residents parking bays in front of our new house suspended to make delivery easier. The council put a board over the nearest residents parking sign advertising the suspension.
This morning several of my new neighbours have parked in the suspended bays and got tickets. One guy has come round and complained.
My OH thinks we should reimburse them all. AIBU to think it's their fault not ours and that we should not have to pay?

No way should you pay! The bays were suspended with notices put up, its your neighbours fault if they parked there anyway!

angelos02 Mon 04-Apr-16 09:52:43

How clear was the new signage? I'm not sticking up for your neighbours but I used to live in a house with residents parking and unless the signage was very clear, I wouldn't have noticed it.

SometimesItRains Mon 04-Apr-16 09:52:47

They parked where they shouldn't and got a ticket - not your fault at all. Do not pay for their inability to read a notice or unwillingness to park somewhere else for a day or two.

MyKingdomForBrie Mon 04-Apr-16 09:53:01

Definitely their fault, the bay's get suspended for various reasons, the council don't reimburse you if you park there when it's suspended for road works etc!

HopIt Mon 04-Apr-16 09:54:00

If all they did was put a board over the existing sign I would pay as who checks it? Unless it's one you walk past you probably wouldn't check it as you know the score about parking there.
They probably didn't know about the suspension.
As they are your new neighbours I probably would pay

StealthPolarBear Mon 04-Apr-16 09:54:53

Hmm I'd be annoyed if I were them as that's presumably where they usually park. But I think they should pursue it with the council not you.

MeridianB Mon 04-Apr-16 09:57:43

If your neighbours want to challenge the prominence of the signs and therefore the fairness of the tickets they should raise it with the council, not you.

Valmur Mon 04-Apr-16 09:58:24

Angelos That's the one thing that makes me think I should pay - the sign was not that clear.

BumWad Mon 04-Apr-16 10:00:13

If the sign was not obvious then the council should be sitting it out not you paying!

gamerchick Mon 04-Apr-16 10:02:39

It's not your fault, people don't pay attention to signs all the time and get tickets.

Tell them to take it up with the council in the usual way.

steppemum Mon 04-Apr-16 10:07:48

If it was me, I would be very apologetic and say - the removers organised it, sorry you got caught, if the sign isn't clear, why don't you take it up with the council?

but I wouldn't pay.

If they were suspending it because they were doing roadworks, they would have the same problem.

whois Mon 04-Apr-16 10:16:43

I wouldn't pay - you haven't done anything wrong.

However it's a fucking nightmare when resident bays get suspended. All they go is out up a bit of yellow over the sign and I normally walk the other way down the road to where my car is so I never see them! Been caught out twice.

StopBoasting Mon 04-Apr-16 10:19:51

I'd direct them to the council. It's not your fault.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 04-Apr-16 10:24:58

No way I'd pay. They didn't read the signs so it's their problem.

PurpleCrazyHorse Mon 04-Apr-16 10:27:58

Direct them back to the council. I'd suggest they take photos of the signage if it wasn't clear.

Personally, if I knew the removers were doing this, I'd have popped notes in the doors of the neighbours, but you might not have realised the removers would apply for a suspension. When we moved, we lived in a tiny close and I went and spoke to all the neighbours who would be affected by a huge removal van to let them know they might want to either park elsewhere to be sure they could get out for work, or leave before 9am when the removers were arriving. However, I was organising it so obviously I knew and could give the neighbours a heads up.

gamerchick Mon 04-Apr-16 10:28:26

Plus once you start dishing money out where will it end? Word gets about.

Pipbin Mon 04-Apr-16 10:29:36

They need to talk to the council.
Perhaps you could complain to the council too. Take pictures of the signs and explain that they weren't clear enough.

Collaborate Mon 04-Apr-16 10:30:07

If your new neighbour thinks they're not acting like a complete dick by complaining to you, then you need to avoid giving them the impression that you're a complete doormat. FFS.

blueskyinmarch Mon 04-Apr-16 10:30:44

I agree, if they have a complaint then direct them towards at the council not at you. It was an agreement between your removal firm and the council. Please do not pay these fines. It is not your problem.

guerre Mon 04-Apr-16 10:30:47

So the bays were suspended, but they parked there anyway, presumably preventing your removers from parking close to your house?
No way would I pay! Moving in a city is a bit of a nightmare with parking, isn't it?
Our last move, they had to have several smaller vans, and it was such a faff for the lads. Thankfully none of our furniture is huge pieces.

guerre Mon 04-Apr-16 10:31:45

Hope all goes well with the move, BTW
flowers for your new home

Narp Mon 04-Apr-16 10:32:31

The guy who complained is a twat, and I would not engage with that, for fear he'll see that as an opening to more twittery. I'd be big smiles, agree it's unfortunate; suggest he appeals to the Council. Don't apologise - it's not your fault.

VioletTea Mon 04-Apr-16 10:32:59

Absolutely no way would I pay. As someone who works in parking enforcement for the LA, I'm pretty sure the signage would have been placed there with 48 hours notice for the residents to view.
Also having a resident's permit does not guarantee a space. They are usually informed of this when purchasing it.
It's the responsibility of the motorist to check the signage and to park correctly. Not yours.

FishWithABicycle Mon 04-Apr-16 10:33:14

no you shouldn't pay but you could help them appeal the ticket by being an independent witness that confirming that the signage was unclear.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now