Talk

Advanced search

out of hours doctor and sore throat

(47 Posts)
Bedsheets4knickers Sun 03-Apr-16 09:54:00

Had horrendous sore throat since Wednesday afternoon . It's now Sunday and I'm nearly in tears . I'm taking ibuprofen , paracetamol , throat spray . It's day 5 now and no let up .
I'm not really one to go to the doctors .
Everything I've read online says it'll clear in a week .
Would this warrant to you seeing an out of hours doctor or should I wait until tomorrow and try and be seen by my normal doctor .
Feeling really sorry for myself :-(

VoldysGoneMouldy Sun 03-Apr-16 09:56:54

Have you got any other symptoms with it?

Sorry you're feeling so rubbish.

Musicaltheatremum Sun 03-Apr-16 09:59:58

If you're feeling worse and in a lot of pain I would be happy to see you. It should be starting to improve by now.
I've actually got awful toothache but it's being kept at bay by regular paracetamol and ibuprofen so I will be onto my dentist tomorrow.

Bedsheets4knickers Sun 03-Apr-16 10:00:04

I feel run down and tired but I'm not sleeping well from early hours once pain relief wears off . I've never had a sore throat like this .

tasmaniandevilchaser Sun 03-Apr-16 10:01:20

I had something similar a few weeks ago, it is rubbish, you have my sympathies. It did clear itself in a week. Do you have any other symptoms? Can you drink water and keep yourself hydrated?

Ledkr Sun 03-Apr-16 10:01:35

Di you have a temp? Are their spots in your throat? Vomiting? Can you swallow?

tasmaniandevilchaser Sun 03-Apr-16 10:03:59

Is there a Sunday walk in clinic near you? Might be tonsillitis and there's no point suffering if you can get somewhere and they can do something

BIWI Sun 03-Apr-16 10:04:56

I've just had this too, and you have all my sympathy. I'm still finding, 10 days on, that by the end of the day my ears are hurting as well (referred pain apparently). I did see the OOH GP, but I also had a chest infection.

The throat is viral, apparently, so not much they can do - antibiotics won't help.

I was recommended Strefen lozenges - they contain an ingredient like ibuprofen (so you can't take ibuprofen at the same time). Otherwise, I just had other throat lozenges - Tyrozets and a Boots one - and I cycled my way through those.

Gargling with soluble/dispersible aspirin helps a bit.

The doctor suggested lots of fluids (hot or cold), and also ice-cream.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

hollyisalovelyname Sun 03-Apr-16 10:07:08

Is it a strep throat.
It is related to Scarlet fever I think.
It's like broken glass in your throat.
I'd see a doctor.
My dsil got post viral arthritis from a strep throat

Jojoriley Sun 03-Apr-16 10:07:28

I had very similar and discovered it's tonsillitis. Thing is they won't give you antibiotics so no point seeing doc. What helped me is MANUKA honey - get the strongest type (£) and use it directly or in warm water. Sorted me out

Girlwhowearsglasses Sun 03-Apr-16 10:08:24

Gargle soluble aspirin/paracetamol - - gargle for as long as you can in the part of the throat that hurts if that makes sense- works!

Bedsheets4knickers Sun 03-Apr-16 10:12:17

Tongue looks ok , I feel warm but temp is normal 37.0 . I felt sick yesterday but I think that was like to many tablets on and empty stomach . Eating is proving difficult . Might treat myself to some posh ice cream today

Bedsheets4knickers Sun 03-Apr-16 10:13:29

Thanks ladies il give all those a try

CaptainMarvelDanvers Sun 03-Apr-16 10:23:13

It sounds like tonsillitis. If it's viral they won't give you anything but if it's bacterial they will give you antibiotics. Bacterial tonsillitis(strep throat) can be really dangerous if left unchecked so I would just go and have it checked out to make sure.

BIWI Sun 03-Apr-16 10:25:06

Yes, sorry, I meant to also add that you should go and see your GP and let them do a physical exam.

CosyNook Sun 03-Apr-16 10:33:21

Do you have a pharmacist near to you. It may bs worth going there.

The Pharmacist can either give you something over the counter, or advise you go to OOH.

ActivelyAnxious Sun 03-Apr-16 10:34:45

If it's strep then antibiotics would help, but it depends on the doctor - I've had it twice and the first time round they suspected it and gave antibiotics straight away, the other time they swabbed and waited for confirmation before prescribing (probably better practice in terms of antibiotics resistance!).

Shine a torch down your throat. Can you see white spots over the back of your throat? This can be vital or bacterial. One home remedy that's worth it, though, in case it is bacterial, is to gargle with a salt and water solution. Tastes rough but in my experience it helps a bit.

The other thing I've had prescribed for really rotten sore throats is steroids, which did wonders. So definitely worth seeing a doctor, as there are things they can do that home treatment wouldn't cover.

Bedsheets4knickers Sun 03-Apr-16 10:38:54

I've just tried the torch . I've got lumps all over my tongue at the back . I can't see to far down my throat as I think it's swallown . It's looking white at the back

CinderellaRockefeller Sun 03-Apr-16 10:42:29

Call 111? They will put you through to a clinician who can assess if they think you need the OOH service or not, or give you some other local options.

Otherwise, is your pharmacist open today? Ask to see the pharmacist and get their opinion.

Bedsheets4knickers Sun 03-Apr-16 10:43:06

At this second in time the drugs are over lapping and giving me some respite . If I see out of hours today I can go on my own . If I go tomorrow il be taking a 5 and 3 year old .

BIWI Sun 03-Apr-16 10:43:36

Go today!!!

hollyisalovelyname Sun 03-Apr-16 10:43:52

Sounds like strep.
You need to see a doctor.

Bedsheets4knickers Sun 03-Apr-16 10:44:51

Il go see pharmacy .i hate waiting the nhs . A sore throat sounds so silly . Right I'm getting up washed while I'm in the mood

AndNowItsSeven Sun 03-Apr-16 10:49:40

If it's bacterial you need antibiotics make an appointment it's not wasting time.

Kennington Sun 03-Apr-16 10:51:49

Wait until Monday - until it is a week for symptoms like this - in my experience - they are unlikely to give you AB s anyway
This sort of thing is self limiting

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now