Talk

Advanced search

To wonder why people insist on posting about 'MN Royalty'?

(512 Posts)
BIWI Sat 02-Apr-16 20:37:27

Because it's always an insult.

But no-one is ever named.

If you do it, what do you mean? Why do you do it?

Does it ever cross your mind that long-standing, non-name-changing posters might be very hurt by your accusations?

If you're going to do it, have the courage of your convictions and name names.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 02-Apr-16 20:39:43

I called someone MN royalty on a thread once. It wasn't meant as an insult. Anyway, the post was deleted faster than you could say "MN royalty". Posts aren't allowed to stand.

YoJesse Sat 02-Apr-16 20:41:24

What's insulting about it. I've called some posters MN royalty and meant it as a compliment.

WhoKnowsWhereTheT1meGoes Sat 02-Apr-16 20:42:46

I've never seen it used as a compliment. Just an insult.

Lemonblast Sat 02-Apr-16 20:42:48

How many times has this been hashed/rehashed?

BIWI Sat 02-Apr-16 20:44:02

Indeed, Lemon. But still it's used ...

I'm surprised/amazed that some people see it as a compliment, because I don't think I've ever seen it used as such.

DameXanaduBramble Sat 02-Apr-16 20:44:20

If any long standing non name changing posters think,they might be royalty then they deserve to be offended and need to get over it.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 02-Apr-16 20:45:22

Why is it considered an insult? I like the royalty.

SurferJet Sat 02-Apr-16 20:45:49

I didn't realize it was an insult? I thought it was an honour - as in long standing well respected poster?
The only one I could name is Maryz.

Sparklingbrook Sat 02-Apr-16 20:48:01

I have never seen it used as anything other than a veiled dig, and definitely not a compliment.

usual Sat 02-Apr-16 20:48:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 02-Apr-16 20:49:55

I can assure everyone that when I used it, it wasn't as a dig. It just means a well known poster as far as I'm concerned.

BrandNewAndImproved Sat 02-Apr-16 20:50:17

I haven't heard this since laqueen was around.

BIWI Sat 02-Apr-16 20:51:04

I'm heartened that some of you think it's a compliment, because I have to say I haven't ever seen it used as such.

I would agree that Maryz is definitely MNRoyalty, but I would also say only in a very good, positive and helpful way. Her advice re teenagers is invaluable. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that I think she should qualify as a National Treasure.

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Sat 02-Apr-16 20:51:38

I thought it was just short hand for prolific-poster-who-has-a-username-that-most-people-recognise like BIWI for example

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sat 02-Apr-16 20:53:05

Well there you go. If you think Maryz is MN royalty then there must be others.

HungryHorace Sat 02-Apr-16 20:54:40

I think (and may be wrong, but I don't use it) that if there's a contentious thread going on and a number of long-standing, non-NC, posters all happen to have the same opinion (as in telling the OP that actually, yes, they ABU) then somebody who takes exception to their opinion chips in to call them MN Royalty. Or that's how I see it.

BIWI Sat 02-Apr-16 20:54:47

That's the problem, ItsAllGoingToBeFine. I'm well aware that because I've been here a long time, haven't name-changed, and I run Bootcamp that I'm often 'known'.

So when people start slagging off MN Royalty, it's uncomfortable.

There are lots of us here who don't name change, and so when the negative, snidey posts about MNR are made, it's easy to see that people might take it personally.

justdontevenfuckingstart Sat 02-Apr-16 20:54:59

Well it is often used as an insult (not been here that long) but in some cases I think is meant kindly. Will blow smoke up BIWI's arse as she is low carb royalty as far as I am concerned and that is meant as a compliment.

DixieNormas Sat 02-Apr-16 20:55:00

I've only ever seen at used as an insult

NeedACleverNN Sat 02-Apr-16 20:56:43

I must admit when I've seen people use it, it's been an insult

HungryHorace Sat 02-Apr-16 20:57:29

Or maybe some people have the perception that the long-standing, non-NC posters, are untouchable and can say what they like without fear of reprise from MNHQ (though why they think that after AFGate the other year is something else, though I suppose not everybody who uses the term was here then!).

Shutthatdoor Sat 02-Apr-16 20:58:21

I'm heartened that some of you think it's a compliment, because I have to say I haven't ever seen it used as such.

Me too. It ime is used as a pa insult.

QueenofLouisiana Sat 02-Apr-16 20:59:15

I haven't seen it on here for a long time! It use to be used far more often.

Sparklingbrook Sat 02-Apr-16 20:59:33

I have never got the feeling that anyone is treated any differently by MNHQ whoever they are. If it breaches Talk Guidelines it gets deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now