Talk

Advanced search

AIBU in asking my neighbour to turn his surround sound down?

(11 Posts)
InformalMother Sat 02-Apr-16 18:05:20

I live in a terraced house so I know that I'll be able to hear my neighbours sometimes and can't expect complete silence.

However, AIBU asking one of my neighbours to turn his surround sound down?

Sometimes it sounds like a fucking chinook is landing in our living room. Other times it is like a low rumble in the background - is that acceptable?

It can be daytime or late into the evening.

At its loudest we can here the surround sound in our bedroom which is upstairs and attached to our other neighbour (not the noisy ones side).

We also hear their music (can tell what song is playing) and the bass of that is loud as well.

Our other neighbour has teenage children and we never hear any music/tv from them. Just the occasional shouting and weeing!

It starting to really get to me that we sit down in the evening to relax after work and just hear this rumbling sound going on and on.

Unicow Sat 02-Apr-16 18:07:32

Sounds like they have the bass speaker against the shared wall. It travels like crazy if you do that. I would want to know. Politely tell them how loud it is, they may not realise.

Lighteningirll Sat 02-Apr-16 18:09:08

Our previous neighbour did this once he came in and heard how loud it was he moved the speaker

InformalMother Sat 02-Apr-16 18:21:13

Unicow The speaker isn't on the joined wall, you can see in their living room stalker from the street. They do have laminate floors though which I guess helps the sound travel?

AIBU at not wanting to hear even the low level rumbling? Hearing laughing/talking doesn't bother me as much but the rumbling is so intrusive sad

Sallyingforth Sat 02-Apr-16 18:31:22

There will be several speakers, not just the one you can see.

lilydaisyrose Sat 02-Apr-16 18:47:24

Are they gamers? My upstairs neighbour (laminate floor) is and it's guns all evening long into early hours.

InformalMother Sat 02-Apr-16 19:06:44

Sallyingforth Ahhhh I wrongly assumed it was the sub woofer type one making the rumbling.

lilydaisyrose I don't think they are. When we've come home/gone out you can see films playing on their tv.

Sallyingforth Sat 02-Apr-16 19:14:00

The sub woofer will produce the most bass, yes. But the other speakers will be arranged around the room. So there will be at least one against your wall and they will certainly sound through it.

InformalMother Sat 02-Apr-16 19:23:27

Thank you for explaining that flowers

I hadn't realised they would be arranged around the room!

Don't know much about it as we've only ever lived in flats and then this terrace, so have never dreamed of having surround sound as we knew neighbours would be able to hear it.

JuxtapositionRecords Sat 02-Apr-16 19:26:57

Living in a terraced house you need to expect noise like you say, but you also need to be considerate of noise. Surround sound in a terrace is so selfish! I would definitely ask.

InformalMother Sat 02-Apr-16 19:45:22

We try really hard to make as little noise as possible for our neighbours such as never letting the DC scream/scream, if they wake up early they either read in their room or come into our bed until it's time to get up etc.

Our teenage family neighbours are considerate towards us as well so we very rarely hear them, never hear their music even when the parents have gone out!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now