AIBU to think if .gov tells you the best way to update your driving license is online it should danm well work!

(20 Posts)
FinallyFreeFromItAll Sat 02-Apr-16 14:07:07

Seriously pissed off. Spent 15minutes going through page after page after page of a stupid online application to change address on my driving license. Then when I got to the end it says allow them 1 week to post the fucking form (that you could have got from a post office) and then fill that in and return allowing a further 3 weeks for the new license angry !!!

AIBU to be seriously pissed off that they tell you to do it online and claim you'll have a new license in a week but really just waste your time before telling you they'll post a bastard form to you and the process now takes longer than if you'd just picked up the ruddy post office form, filled it out and posted it, in the first place.

BeautyGoesToBenidorm Sat 02-Apr-16 14:10:16

YANBU. I tried to do this recently, entered my passport number to verify my photo, and it said they couldn't do it so to fill in the form and post it instead.

Took the fucking piss.

fuctifino Sat 02-Apr-16 14:12:02

Yep, they don't warn you before starting that you need a passport, they only tell you at the end.

Scrowy Sat 02-Apr-16 14:14:40

I recently did mine online and it worked fine. Took about 10mins... And my new photo card turned up 5 days later including the BH weekend!! I do have quite a recent passport though so perhaps that helped?

Scrowy Sat 02-Apr-16 14:16:04

OP it definitely was the gov website you did it through wasn't it?

BeautyGoesToBenidorm Sat 02-Apr-16 14:19:59

Having the passport wasn't the issue, the website told me repeatedly that it couldn't find my passport number OR photo details! Really crap. So glad it's not just me!

BeautyGoesToBenidorm Sat 02-Apr-16 14:21:36

My passport was issued in the same week as my driving licence, and the photos were identical - in my case, it couldn't be a problem on that end. Definitely the gov.uk website here too. Was actually quite surprised at the number of ripoff websites claiming to be driving licence renewal ones.

Pigeonpost Sat 02-Apr-16 14:36:09

I updated my address recently on a Wed and my new licence arrived on the Sat, I was amazed. I did use my passport when I did it though if that makes a difference?

21stCenturyBreakdown Sat 02-Apr-16 14:45:31

YANBU. Do you also need to notify HMRC of your change of address? (I assumed this would happen through my employer, but apparently not). That was even worse - encouraged me to do it online, which I did - a couple of days later I got an email saying that some of the information I'd supplied was incorrect (it definitely wasn't) and that I had to phone them. It directed me to a webpage with over 130 phone numbers on it! After finding the correct one, I phoned and had to listen to 5 minutes of automated messages telling me to do it online instead angry followed by 20 minutes on hold.

CestLaVie93 Sat 02-Apr-16 14:48:00

Ive recently moved house & it took me 20 mins to do both mine & DPs license. They took 3 days to come in the post. Maybe we were just lucky?

WastingTime123 Sat 02-Apr-16 14:49:41

Couldn't agree more. I spent about two hours one weekend getting all the way through and then the system crashing and gave up. It's so inefficient.

Andrewofgg Sat 02-Apr-16 15:05:23

It's so hit and miss. DW and I applied for new EHIC cards over the Easter weekend and they arrived today. We were impressed.

FinallyFreeFromItAll Sat 02-Apr-16 17:49:48

It was definitely the correct website address - I get really paranoid about that, so always make treble sure.

I don't have a passport. It did not say it was needed. Then after pissing about for ages to get through loads of the bloody pages there is one page that asks for it your passport details, it said if you didn't have one, not a problem, just click next. So I did and at the very end it said its sending me a form and to allow one week for its arrival, fill it in and send it back and allow 3 weeks for them to process.

If it is because of not having a passport then they should just tell you its quicker to go to the post office for a paper form in the first place. Save all that useless pissing about.

Andrewofgg Sat 02-Apr-16 20:57:25

OP Do I get the impression that you are not entirely and 100% satisfied with the service you have received?

I recommend wine in large quantities.

BibbidiBobbidiBoo1 Sat 02-Apr-16 21:00:25

Just press continue if you don't have a passport!
As long as your just changing address and not updating the photo it won't matter.

I did both my parents recently after they moved and just hit continue and all was good

BibbidiBobbidiBoo1 Sat 02-Apr-16 21:01:11

And they didn't have passports! Kinda forgot to add that

FinallyFreeFromItAll Sun 03-Apr-16 00:08:17

Bibbidi I did just click next on the passport page. At the very end it then told me they were sending the stupid form. Some other pp speculated that it could be not actually having a passport that means they do that.

Vintage45 Sun 03-Apr-16 00:11:00

Just leave it for now. Web sites do crash now and again. You will probably find all will be ok on Monday.

BibbidiBobbidiBoo1 Sun 03-Apr-16 14:00:40

Odd! I definitely didn't get that - completed both online and a bout a week later parents received their new licenses.

So annoying when things that are meant to work and be simple Don't and aren't!

WeeHelena Sun 03-Apr-16 14:08:48

I thought it was great but the website always times out on mobile for no good reason which was angry and I always forget my I.D and password.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now