Is £200 for a kitchen bin fucking ridiculous?

(201 Posts)
kippersyllabub Fri 01-Apr-16 22:13:01

So we've just had a new kitchen fitted, which we saved for years to buy. Our black plastic swing top bin (B&Q, £21.99 - I promise this is relevant later) has had a broken bit for the past 8 years or so, so the lid no longer fits snugly. It's also very ugly, although I guess that's subjective.

I thought I'd like to get one of those brabantia touch bins as they look nice but instead I was inexorably drawn towards this: http://www.johnlewis.com/joseph-joseph-intelligent-waste-separation-recycling-totem-bin-60l/p1897300?colour=Stone

DH didn't want any part in bin discussions. I did try to get him enthused about bin choice, but he wasn't really biting so in the end I proposed that I should have Absolute Bin Autonomy and he acquiesced. With my Absolute Bin Autonomy I purchased the above bin using the joint account.

DH now says that £200 for a bin is a "fucking waste of money" given the longevity and cost of our previous bin, and I'll need to repay him in favours involving vats of lube and marmosets. It may have been marmalade. (He is actually joking, for anyone who may take this literally.)

To me, Absolute Bin Autonomy allows me to choose the bin of my dreams. I admit that £200 is a fucking ridiculous price for a bin, but the autonomy principle stands, no? AIBU?

Dotheskankyleg Fri 01-Apr-16 22:15:00

So long as the bin empties itself!

Alasalas2 Fri 01-Apr-16 22:15:16

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

janethegirl2 Fri 01-Apr-16 22:16:48

I'd not spend that on a bin.

DontBuyANewMumCashmere Fri 01-Apr-16 22:17:00

£200 for a bin is a "fucking waste of money"

Yes. I agree.

Standingonmytippytoes Fri 01-Apr-16 22:17:25

He should of gotten involved in the bin choosing process end of. But...
On one hand I do think that £200 is alot of money for a bin but that bin is quite nice and very practical. Has said bin arrived yet has he had a chance to appreciate it's usefulness?

coffeeisnectar Fri 01-Apr-16 22:17:35

On principal YANBU. He gave you Bin autonomy and as he didn't fix a price limit, he has no say.

However, who knew there were bins that cost £200? I mean £200? With 'custom bin liners' . How much do they cost? That's fucking insane. And surely this bin only holds a small amount of rubbish/recycling meaning that you'll be emptying the bloody thing every day rather than once every three or four days.

So overall I'm going to say YABU to spend so much money on a bloody bin!

(although it looks quite nice in a sleek way)

Artistic Fri 01-Apr-16 22:17:35

Been there, couldn't bring myself to part with £200 for something that's going to be stinking & filthy for most of its life. Spent a long time on Amazon and found a lookalike for £55 - which I can replace 4 times before I hit the money I'd planned to spend previously.
Sorry am with your DH on this! grin

Inarightpickleandchutney Fri 01-Apr-16 22:18:05

You had ABA.

Therefore YANBU.

BombadierFritz Fri 01-Apr-16 22:19:26

That'll learn him, as we say round here.

Tessticklesyourfancy Fri 01-Apr-16 22:20:24

Actual British pounds with the Queen's head on? £200??

MakingJudySmile Fri 01-Apr-16 22:20:56

It's an insane amount for a bin. Even more insane than the standard insane amounts bins can be, BUT he gave you Absolute Bin Autonomy. So tell him to naff off with his lube (and he can but in in the top section of the bin)

BlueJug Fri 01-Apr-16 22:21:00

Yes but Absolute Bin Autonomy is exact;y that. End of story. YANBU

(I love the bin and would pay it if I were not so broke and if I needed a bin - which I don't)

Alasalas2 Fri 01-Apr-16 22:23:25

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Frazzled2207 Fri 01-Apr-16 22:23:32

We replaced a £5.99 tesco crappy plastic swing bin with a fancy brabantia double bin which I think cost about £120. Nice as it is I still struggle with the fact that although it cost twenty times as much as the last one no way is it twenty times as good!

Floggingmolly Fri 01-Apr-16 22:23:32

It's not just a bin, it's an intelligent bin... Because it has an extra little plastic section underneath confused. For the name alone; I wouldn't buy it if it was £2.
And it's fecking ugly anyway.

MeredithFrampton Fri 01-Apr-16 22:23:34

He gave you ABS because he trusted your judgement.

He won't make that mistake again any time soon grin

whois Fri 01-Apr-16 22:23:48

I'm not 100% about the bin you have chosen (it's ok, we can like different bins) but ours was £200 and it's been the single biggest improvement in living circumstances since we moved in. Big, sleek design, butterfly opening mechanism.

Artandco Fri 01-Apr-16 22:24:21

I would pay that if it helped me out. Seeing as it does have all the compartments in one place and if you need all those then it's doing its job. 10 years guarentee also

However. I hate bins on view. I mean they just hold rubbish so whatever they are they are hardly a feature

I would buy this instead and have put into a cupboard if space
www.johnlewis.com/wesco-built-in-bio-treble-bin-40l/p705128

Tessticklesyourfancy Fri 01-Apr-16 22:24:42

If it doesn't sort your rubbish and empty it's self then I have to agree with your husband. There's not a bin on this planet, unless covered with jewels, which would be plain weird, that should cost that kind of money shock

Floggingmolly Fri 01-Apr-16 22:25:42

You must have been living in the lap of luxury already, whois, if the right bin was all you needed to make your life complete grin

GnomeDePlume Fri 01-Apr-16 22:25:54

But it is so lovely, both the sludge colour and the grey one practically disappear in the white kitchen.

It is a shame someone left what looks like a cheap plastic filing cabinet in the kitchen though.

poorbuthappy Fri 01-Apr-16 22:26:45

Go to tk Maxx and spend £50. Revel in saving £150

Thornrose Fri 01-Apr-16 22:27:25

It is fucking ridiculous but if you can afford it, it's fine!

I'd spend £200 on a myriad of things I need for my house and garden but it's all relative.

If I could comfortably afford it I'd buy it. Your dh does not have a leg to stand on btw. grin

DaisyDando Fri 01-Apr-16 22:27:54

I have the JJ bin. It needs emptying 1000 times per week. But it looks lovely. Got a bit of a discount though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now