Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

2x broken wrists (son) and mother in foot plaster

(21 Posts)
dreame Fri 01-Apr-16 19:25:52

I'm posting here for traffic so apologies in advance.

My good friend had foot surgery recently and has another four weeks in plaster and can't drive for that period. Today her 10 yo DS broke both his wrists. He's currently in hospital.

Has anybody had a 10 yr old with broken wrists? He's also a good gymnast so this is a major, major blow and will be super hard as the competition season is on and he's now out.

Any advice? I want to be useful, but as I can't drive and live about 1hr away on public transport I can't be helpful with daily stuff. I had a broken wrist as a child and it was horrible..but that was just one!!

I thought of buying some baggy clothes without zips/buttons, iTunes vouchers but that's all I can come up with. There must be more than that?!

Help me out please!!

Grilledaubergines Fri 01-Apr-16 19:28:51

Even if you can't do daily stuff, would you be able to make one trip there? Take them some easy to do food, do a bit of ironing? Hoover? Sit and keep them company. A change of face is always nice if you've been cooped up.

wannadancethenightaway Fri 01-Apr-16 19:33:14

Oh goodness that's awful for the DS. My aunt broke both her wrists many years ago and even simple toilet tasks were a two man job blush I hope he's ok. Maybe get a couple of DVDs for him? Poor lamb!

dreame Fri 01-Apr-16 19:35:10

I can do that but not too often (if I lived near I'd be in daily to do dishes, bring dinner etc) - and just did this afternoon. He broke his wrists before I'd got home again! I've also got two young children (2+4) who are lovely but two hours on public transport with them and bags etc isn't something I can do as frequently as I'd like! Will maybe bring things for freezer this weekend, but what can he eat? Soup through a straw unless someone feeds him?!

I'm wondering what can make life easier? And lift his morale which will take a beating I expect (he's not going to be doing handstands in the near future..).

lampygirl Fri 01-Apr-16 19:55:41

I'm a sports person and I've just broken an ankle. Not being able to do sports is the hardest bit. I know it isn't the same injury but I bought a set of dumbbells to do upper body work with sitting on a Swiss ball (I'm partial weight bearing) and so being able to exercise a bit has been a godsend. Is there anything you could pick up for him that will allow him to do lower body stuff without needing his hands??

I would also say do make an effort to go and visit even if only once. The few people who have come to see me have really raised my spirits for a few days.

For the DM can you look at hiring in a knee scooter or something for them. I like crutches because it improves my strength moving around on them, but I'm buggered if I need to carry anything.

dreame Fri 01-Apr-16 20:09:30

Thanks. Something to keep his lower half active is a great idea!

I definitely will visit (was on a very long bedrest myself once and the burning loneliness and boredom combo hasn't been forgotten!), I just wish I could be there more often. And more useful!

SonjasSister Fri 01-Apr-16 20:38:10

Maybe look at independent living/aids type websites, there might be gadgets he can use to help him be more independent re dressing, toilet, eating etc that are inexpensive enough to make it worthwhile. He will presumablyfind the helplessness maddening, like alk of us would! Poor lad, poor mum sad

SonjasSister Fri 01-Apr-16 20:40:38

Are you all on Facebook or similar? Keep sending links to silly videos etc, then they'll know you're thinking of them

Jelliebabe1 Fri 01-Apr-16 20:46:18

Can you organise a cleaner? Meal's for the freezer is a good one. DVD's....shopping delivery or a taxi. Can you possibly stay for a few days?

QueenofLouisiana Fri 01-Apr-16 20:58:55

My DSSister broke both her wrists aged 10- wiping after going to the loo was really hard at first, perhaps a stoke of "wet" loo wipes (can't think what they're called!).

DS uses ankle weights to help build his muscles, they strap around his legs. (He's also 10, but a competitive swimmer- get the lightest possible ones as children should not be lifting heaver weights).

slug Fri 01-Apr-16 21:35:05

These worked for me when I broke my arm.

BestIsWest Fri 01-Apr-16 21:42:26

My DD broke both wrists aged 10 too. I second the loo wipes. She loved reading and couldn't handle books so audiobooks were a godsend.

She was remarkably resilient and coped amazingly well.

BestIsWest Fri 01-Apr-16 21:44:57

If he is in plaster he may be able to manage a spoon and to do things that don't involve lifting.

dreame Fri 01-Apr-16 22:42:48

Thanks! I'll pass on some of these to my friend (particularly wet loo wipes - think he'd be mortified if I gave him those, but exactly the sort of useful thing you don't think about unless you've been there).

maddening Sat 02-Apr-16 01:20:32

Could she see if homestart might send a. Volunteer

OzzieFem Sat 02-Apr-16 03:47:27

I'm not sure about UK, but over here we would have Silver Chain home help to assist with showering and dressing. This is usually organized through the hospital. I imagine it would be nice if there was a male attendant though.

Jessbow Sat 02-Apr-16 08:37:55

if you do get over there, take a length of grey foam insulation tube with you. its great round handles- spoons/forks etc, and greatly improves the ability to hold such as cutlery, he wont want feeding i'll bet

JsOtherHalf Sat 02-Apr-16 10:40:23

If it's only her foot in plaster, could she afford one of these? (£150)

www.peglegs.co.uk

JsOtherHalf Sat 02-Apr-16 10:52:11

( she could get most of the cost back by selling it on ebay when she no longer needs it. Some recently sold on ebay for over £100)

Topseyt Sat 02-Apr-16 11:45:25

I am still recovering from a broken right arm sustained back in February.

I second the cast covers if he comes home in casts (may be partial casts at first if he is getting a lot of swelling).

Wet wipes also a good idea, both toilet ones and hand wash ones. His casts are likely to go round his hands and you can't get them wet so washing hands is a problem. She can clean around his fingers with the wipes though. Not perfect but better than nothing. Sensitive skin and unscented are best as the skin around a cast can quickly become very sensitive.

He may need some push on shoes to allow him to manage. Laces will be a problem to him unless his parents are there to do them up for him. That may be something a parent will have to sort for him though.

Not experienced with a broken foot for your poor friend. Poor her, and having to cope with her DS's injuries now too. Call her and ask her what she would find most useful now that she has gained some first hand experience (unfortunately for her).

You sound like a lovely friend. Good for you.

I have to say that before losing the use of my right arm it really didn't occur to me the type of things I would need help with. I am right handed too. Experience really is a teacher, albeit a sometimes brutal one.

Topseyt Sat 02-Apr-16 12:04:43

Push on shoes or perhaps sandals with woolly socks might help him as he starts getting mobile again.

Baggy or short sleeved shirts, t-shirts and cardigans will help to get her DS dressed.

Some of these are just suggestions for the family. Can be ordered online.

I can't drive either for now as I can't grip the steering wheel so Tesco home delivery has been my fallback and has worked well, with DH occasionally dropping into Aldi or Lidl when he is driving past.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now