Talk

Advanced search

When is it enough? Aibu to feel like gently suggesting this most definitely is not right

(48 Posts)
Esmeismyhero Thu 31-Mar-16 17:32:27

Dd has fairly complex health issues, I've posted over the years about them.

So for the second time dd has had a pretty bad infection of some kind.

10 days later and she's still not any better, she has protein and blood in her urine. Has had sever urine infections and been hospitalised once because of a bad one.

She's had a scan which showed nothing. They said they would keep an eye on the microscopic urine.

Fast forward a few months and she now has visible blood in her urine, protein and has been urinating a lot less.

I've been told that Drs will be contacting me for tests etc.

Now my problem is is that for 10 days she's has been spiking 40 fevers, been down to a & e 3 times and told its viral. No worries it shall pass. She came up in a pin prick rash they said it's because she's I'll, ok again I trust the Drs.

She has leg pain, headaches and rigors.

I've just called gp for a callback and she's just cried herself to sleep saying her leg feels like it's bleeding and it hurts :/ she's 4, it hurts in her flank, her legs, her eyes.

I'm lost, everything I go to a & e they say she'll be fine, she has flu and its exasperated her kidney problems but I just feel something wrong. I don't want her to undergo bloods if I don't have to (she's had so many before ) but it's getting to the point where I'm dosing her every 3 hours intermittent calpol and Nuero and if I don't do it religiously she has rigor fits.

Drs told me to do the meds.

I just need advice please. I don't know what to do.

witsender Thu 31-Mar-16 17:33:59

I don't know much about the problems she has, but I would be at A&E or a drop in centre with those symptoms.

Esmeismyhero Thu 31-Mar-16 17:38:38

Thing is I've been to emergency 3 times with the symptoms, she's not photophobic, she perks up a tiny bit when not fevering, not severely ill. I've been to gp and he said it will pass (this particular gp and I don't get along).

I've been categorically told its not anything sinister. It's viral flu and she's as ill as she is because she has other health problems.

Husbanddoestheironing Thu 31-Mar-16 17:42:37

I think you have to really trust your instincts and get help if you are that concerned- urgent GP if possible- can you get a different one from the practice for a different opinion? Be very clear that you are extremely worried and think it is a serious problem. I would have thought a virus -even flu ought to be improving by 10 days (if I've understood your post correctly). if not then yes personally I would go back to a&e, one attached to a hospital with paediatric facilities if possible and emphasise your concerns as above.

HackerFucker22 Thu 31-Mar-16 17:43:00

Can you try a different a&e or a different walk in clinic?

Maybe a different set of Dr's will give you a different outcome?

ihatethecold Thu 31-Mar-16 17:45:39

I would be very concerned if my Dd still had a temperature after 10 days of being unwell.
I would go back and see a different GP.

Outcomesthebunnyofdeath Thu 31-Mar-16 17:47:57

Your poor Dd and poor you.

I have no human medical training but fully agree with trust your instinct and kick up a fuss of you feel you aren't being heard.

Really hope she is ok soon, poor love.

Esmeismyhero Thu 31-Mar-16 17:48:28

I don't care if I out myself but we've been going to the Bristol children's a and e, they have always been amazing with my dd. I've asked for her normal gp, who is lovely and takes me seriously.

Other gp just doesn't like me because I am fat. He's a complete tool.

Yes it's day 11 actually. She's vomited bile a few times and blood another time.

She's been drinking a lot and I've been trying food but she'll mostly have milk which I'm fine with.

PonderingProsecco Thu 31-Mar-16 17:51:40

Good luck op.
Poor both of you. It must be so stressful.
Hope she gets treatment she needs and is better soon.

Esmeismyhero Thu 31-Mar-16 17:52:05

Twice they went to do bloods but she perked up and suggested it wasn't necessary as she's reacting to calpol etc, which I completely agree with. I don't want her to admitted or have unnecessary testing.

She's just woken up crying saying it hurts, she's pale, and her legs are stone cold even though she's covered with a blanket.

She's not due meds for another 45 mins

Esmeismyhero Thu 31-Mar-16 17:52:22

Calling gp again now because I've not heard anything

PonderingProsecco Thu 31-Mar-16 17:52:39

Bile and blood?
Definitely right to go to A and E again.

PonderingProsecco Thu 31-Mar-16 17:53:17

Good luck with GP.....

Esmeismyhero Thu 31-Mar-16 17:53:52

Yes it was bile with blood in it looked like coffee grounds mixed in with the yellow. Also dark green and bright yellow I'll post pics 1 min

ProbablyMe Thu 31-Mar-16 17:56:40

You NEED those bloods done. My DS has many UTIs (60+ hospital admissions in his 12 1/2 years) plus others. Your daughter needs bloods done, and her blood pressure done too. There is a risk of sepsis. PLEASE go and refuse to move until they do it.

PonderingProsecco Thu 31-Mar-16 17:58:32

She is so young and as you say, with complex health needs.
You know what feels right and wrong and know her best.
Have you got someone to support you and help re health workers and getting point across?

scotsgirl64 Thu 31-Mar-16 18:17:40

take her to GP and asked to be referred to paediatrician asap...sounds like kidney infection...needs bloods, blood cultures and ultrasound of abdomen/kidneys

amarmai Thu 31-Mar-16 18:18:54

please go to emergency and make a fuss if necessary,op.

Badders123 Thu 31-Mar-16 18:22:57

I really really think you need to take her back to a and e
Those symptoms are very worrying. The nhs website days to get emergency help if vomiting blood or bile like coffee grounds
Also the coldness and mottled legs...a symptom of meningitis
Please
Take her back

ProbablyMe Thu 31-Mar-16 18:26:28

Honestly, just showed my DP this too and we've both one out in goosebumps and a cold sweat. I'm not over reacting - I've been there before, please go and get her seen.

ScarlettDarling Thu 31-Mar-16 18:26:30

Oh my goodness, you poor things.

I'd always say trust your gut instinct when it comes to your dc. Keep pushing, ringing and asking for help.

Hope you get the help you need tonight flowers

stareatthetvscreen Thu 31-Mar-16 18:26:48

ok

as i'm sure you're aware - if it is 'only' flu..it is still a horrible illness which can make you really poorly.i had it years ago and as a fit and healthy adult i was wiped out for 2 weeks.with another two weeks recovering.so a month being ill would not be uncommon.it may - just may - be a waiting game for your poor dd to recover xx

hard not to worry though i know

tupperwareAARGGH Thu 31-Mar-16 18:31:05

No thats not normal, we would be doing bloods on an adult with those symptoms and keeping them in for IV fluids. Just because someone perks up with paracetamol does not make them better!

She needs admitting, needs bloods, needs fluids and anti sickness meds. This is not normal.

Kids compensate very well and then go down hill suddenly. Go back to A and E and tell them you want them to take some bloods, she needs them.

AugustRose Thu 31-Mar-16 18:32:21

It sounds like you DD has a bacterial infection NOT a viral as they keep telling you. 18 months ago my own DD was vomiting like your DD and came up in a pin prick rash. The Doc at A&E kept insisting it was because she had strained when she vomited despite me insisting that she hadn't. In the end he admitted her to the children's ward as he wasn't sure what the rash was.

She had bacterial tonsillitis (strep b) and a pin prick rash is a sign of a bacterial infection. Get them to do another blood test, as others have said it could be sepsis and you need to know, either way she should be on anti-biotics just in case.

flowers for you both.

Nearlyadoctor Thu 31-Mar-16 18:33:09

Get her to A&E NOW! A child having rigours , pale limbs, lethargic , crying in pain is not normal.....

She needs a professional opinion asap. If you don't shout no one will shout for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now