Talk

Advanced search

To think they are deliberately messing with me?

(19 Posts)
DillyDingDillyDong Thu 31-Mar-16 14:31:02

Bit of an odd one.

We moved into our house just after Christmas and we have always had an agreement that DH does all things concerned with taking out bin bags and putting the bins out for collection. It stems from the first flat we lived in where I was terrified of the bin shed and it's just a bit of an old habit that he does it. However, the last few weeks I've ended up helping put the bins out, bring them back in etc.

I noticed that our bin is never outside our house once emptied. We live in a semi-detached house and next doors is always there but ours is usually a few doors down or across the road sometimes. I asked DH if this always happens and he said it does but he's never really thought about it before.

So this morning, I was feeding DS when I looked out the window and saw the lorry collecting rubbish. I realised that our bin wasn't out so ran out to do it. I put it at the bottom of the drive and one of the refuse collectors across the road laughed and shouted "Just in time!" I smiled back and said that the weekend has thrown me off and then had to quickly back in as DS was in the high chair and has started to try and escape!

I went back out about ten minutes later to bring the bin in only to find it was across the road and about five houses down. They saw me bring it out and know where the bin comes from and it has our house number on in big stickers. I can't understand why it's just our bin that doesn't get left in the right place. Surely it's more effort to put it somewhere else rather than back where they got it from?

I've come to the conclusion that somebody is just messing with us but have no idea why. It might be the bin men, it might be a neighbour. I don't really understand why anyone would have a reason to do this or what they're getting out of it!

Am I just being insane or is something definitely going on here?

EveryoneElsie Thu 31-Mar-16 14:35:38

The bin men are in a rush, so they collect a load of bins, park the lorry and empty that lot, then move on 60 feet.
Ours is usually with Number 5 up the road. they cant stop at every house, and they dont return every bin.

RoganJosh Thu 31-Mar-16 14:38:19

They often end up a few doors down. I wouldn't think anything of it. I think they do a little group at once.

DillyDingDillyDong Thu 31-Mar-16 14:39:27

Everyone, I understand that they are so busy but they normally do four houses on each side of the road at once and then drive on. Sometimes it's about ten houses down. And it is only ours that is so out of place.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Thu 31-Mar-16 14:41:05

Eh? They put them on the lorry when they get to them and they take them off the lorry when they're done and just stick them back on the pavement.

The lorry is moving and they don't really have time to pay attention to putting bins back.

You're must be bit self-obsessed if you think the way the bin men put the bins back is anything personal towards you grin

RudeElf Thu 31-Mar-16 14:41:22

They collect the bins and bring them to the lorry. They dont stop outside every single house. So when the bins have been emptied the just leave them at the roadside there rather than walk back up with several bins matching them up with the right houses. No-one is messing with you. And you have bin issues

TruJay Thu 31-Mar-16 14:42:07

Hmm I wouldn't say they're doing it on purpose, just sounds like they have a system and it leads to your bin being the one that ends up miles away.

Our bin men have started leaving our bin right in the middle of our driveway entrance so we can no longer pull in from the busy main road, have to move it first. Don't know why they can't just pop it to one side like they used to but hey ho, it's frustrating but takes two seconds. I don't think they're doing it on purpose

DillyDingDillyDong Thu 31-Mar-16 14:49:07

Haha maybe I do have bin issues! And I'm not used to 'doing the bins' so wasn't sure if this was normal or not. I just find it so strange that everyone else's bin is in the right place. Also our house is on a curve in the road so the lorry normally stops just outside. I've seen them emptying bins and they usually bring the bin to the lorry, empty it and then put them back where they came from or in the general area. It's quite a big road and the houses aren't that close together which is why they only do four at a time I assume.

I sound like I stand at the window watching them work, but I don't! When we first moved in my nephew stayed with us overnight on bin day for a few weeks and he was obsessed with recycling and bin lorries so we used to look out the window and watch. I never used to notice where our bin went as I wasn't looking out for it.

lamiashiro Thu 31-Mar-16 14:49:34

Really, you're overthinking this. Ours never end up outside our house again and nor do their neighbours' bins. The binmen don't notice or care where they come from, they empty them, dump them and move on.

wasonthelist Thu 31-Mar-16 14:49:35

Why were you terrified of the bin shed at the old place?

AugustinaDuBois Thu 31-Mar-16 14:50:47

I've been victimised by bin men before! No really.
For weeks they refused to take my recycling. I had no idea why, I checked and checked again, there wasn't anything in it that there shouldn't be.
One morning seconds after they walked past the bin I walked over and asked what their problem was ( screechy Peggy Mitchell style, I'm a classy lady) they looked a bit rabbit in the headlights, scurried over to empty the bins and I've not had a problem since.

DillyDingDillyDong Thu 31-Mar-16 14:51:49

Just told DH that I have asked for opinions on here and he said I need to change my name to Crazy Bin Lady as that's what everyone who reads this will think I am!

I am willing to accept that I am BU for thinking the bin men have some sort of conspiracy about me and my bins. grin

Heidi42 Thu 31-Mar-16 14:54:17

I bet you didn't tip them at christmas

DillyDingDillyDong Thu 31-Mar-16 15:00:09

wasonthelist There was a corridor you had to walk down to get to where the bins were which was usually had a light bulb or seven not working and people who were lazy used to dump their bags in the corridor and so you would have to step over them to get to bins. I got locked in there when we first moved in, you needed keys to buzz yourself out and I hadn't realised. I had no phone and there was no window or any way to let anyone know I was in there. It was dark and I felt something crawl over my foot as I stood with my back against the wall. It sounds dramatic but I was in there for over ten minutes before someone heard me knocking on the door! DH felt awful as I had said I didn't want to go there alone and I think as we'd only been together for just under a year he still wanted to make a good impression and vowed to always take the bins out!

Augustina, I'm worried that the lady who lived here before us offended them like she apparently did the window cleaner and man who cuts the grass at the bottom of the drive!

curren Thu 31-Mar-16 15:00:54

It's annoying, but just one of those things. It's not hard to go get an empty bin and bring it back.

But they have loads to do. I can't imagine them going out of their way to put your bin down the road just to have a chuckle at you.

They probably aren't even paying attention to which bin came from where.

DillyDingDillyDong Thu 31-Mar-16 15:03:09

Oooo Heidi, is that a thing? We didn't live here then so we couldn't have tipped. We've always lived in places that have a communal bin shed. Our last house was in on a small estate with a block of apartments and two other houses and we just had a shed where we put all our rubbish. How do you tip them? Do you just put a card or envelope on the lid of the bin if you're at work?

curren Thu 31-Mar-16 15:04:16

We don't tip. But they get here at 7am.

I think dh did put some chocolates out on top of the bin though, before left for work (wrapped up).

antimatter Thu 31-Mar-16 15:20:56

Has your bin got your property number on the lid?
Paining it made big difference to our bin men as we live in a cul-de-sac and there are 12 identical bins they have to return.

Heidi42 Thu 31-Mar-16 15:28:08

I always give the man who takes the bin a tenner at xmas , we never have any trouble and they take things for us with no probs , I think its the least they deserve it cant be a very naice job yuk! I dont think its personal btw you are just unlucky and if you did tip them there is no guarantee they will reciprocate and return your bin or the other hand its worth a try good luck !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now