Battle of wills!!

(7 Posts)
mopants Thu 31-Mar-16 14:23:05

I have 5 children (dd1 6, ds1 4, dd2 3, ds2 3 and dd3 3months) and stupidly just attempted a 'quick' shop in our local supermarket. As usual all the patent and child spaces are full of pensioners so I park a little further away and take 4 plus pushchair to get a little trolley. My 3yo boy starts to strop because I asked the eldest to push trolley today. All the way round the shop he screamed, threw himself on the floor, kicked me and other normal 3yo strop type things. Obviously I had to keep picking him up but I will not carry him so it involved a lot of me saying 'stand up'. Baby is also crying for half the trip because she wants feeding. Manage to get outside the shop and he stops and refuses to move because, and I quote, he 'doesn't like mummy, not going in mummy's car!' I admit I was pretty stressed out by now so picked up the baby out of pushchair, take boy by the arm and march to the car with the rest of the children being absolute Angels. Getting everyone into the car while stroppy pants is standing by the open boot and turned around to find some woman pressing a chocolate bar into his hand!!!! I snatched it off him and handed it back explaining he does not get treats for being naughty!! She then tried to take the baby off me!!!!!!!! Is this normal behaviour??? Am I supposed to give him chocolate every time he doesn't get his own way???

marmaladegranny Thu 31-Mar-16 14:32:24

Oh I do feel for you! I only had 3 and never attempted the supermarket with them all when they were small.
I am hovering between thinking you are incredibly brave or rather foolish.

Woman in car park was definitely BVVU - for giving unknown child anything edible, for giving any child chocolate when not in controlled environment but mostly for attempting to reward bad behaviour.

Hope your day improves!

curren Thu 31-Mar-16 14:37:54

Wtf? A woman tried giving a kid she doesn't know chocolate and then tried taking the baby off you?

Why would someone do that?

Did she think she was Helping you?

stealthsquiggle Thu 31-Mar-16 14:41:37

Blimey.

If she had walked up and asked if there was anything she could do to help, it would be a nice gesture.

Opening with offering any child chocolate without consulting a parent, let alone one who is clearly having a tantrum, is just ridiculous.

I find being outnumbered 2 to 1 by the DC stressful and times, so I have no idea how you get to be even slightly sane, ever.

..nice to know that one being atrocious instantly makes the others turn angelic scales beyond 2, though...

mopants Thu 31-Mar-16 14:45:05

I do quite regularly take them all shopping. Never for a proper shop but if I only need a few bits it's usually fine. We are having issues with stubbornness in him lately though.

Yes I think she must have thought she was helping. She very nearly got shouted at herself. My other son can't have dairy so would have tipped me over the edge of it was him!

mopants Thu 31-Mar-16 14:47:32

One other lady had offered to help by standing with the baby and the others while I retrieved ds2. He was standing the other side of a display of plants thinking I couldn't see him!! The other glisten probably thought steam would start coming out of my ears if they joined in being naughty!!

mopants Thu 31-Mar-16 14:47:47

The other children. Not glisten

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now