Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to think my manager is weird?

(7 Posts)
MarbleFox Thu 31-Mar-16 03:26:59

At the moment, I work part time in retail and most of the time my manager seems fairly nice and normal but occasionally she'll say or do something that makes me think she's a total weirdo. Other times she's said or did things that have made me think she's an ignorant cow grin Here are a few of the gems she's came out with since I've started working there;
- After reading a news story we were talking about how unbearable it must be to have a terminally ill or seriously ill young child.

MarbleFox Thu 31-Mar-16 03:27:49

Accidently clicked post! Damn! I'll finish off down here!

MarbleFox Thu 31-Mar-16 03:35:19

- Anyway, following our conversation regarding terminally ill children she tells me those sort of stories don't bother her if the kid doesn't look, "cute or sweet". She was being 100% serious.
- She once told me the story of how she almost murdered her now ex husband, in great detail and length. In short, she was going to stab him apparently confused
- She makes thinly-veiled racist comments about black/Asian people that leave me so angry I want to tell her to fuck off and quit.

I'll post more when they come to mind as there are definitely more.

MooningIntoTheAbyss Thu 31-Mar-16 03:49:04

Some people just like attention and haven't the confidence to get it in an appropriate manner so go for shock value or what they think is 'an educated opinion'.

I had a colleague once who was openly racist. She would happily make all sorts of nasty racist comments and thought it was acceptable because it was her opinion and everyone is entitled to free speech. I didn't like it so I just stopped listening.

You can't change her. Either quit and get a new job or just put up with it for work hours and forget her when you go home.

herecomethepotatoes Thu 31-Mar-16 04:08:08

A friend of mine worked with someone like that.

When the manager next made a racist comment, they replied with "well, aren't you a cunt."

The ensuing HR situation brought it all out into the open and the manager didn't last long afterwards.

YMMV.

BirthdayBetty Thu 31-Mar-16 04:21:57

Sociopath

MumOnTheRunCatchingUp Thu 31-Mar-16 07:34:19

Why don't you call her on it? Challenge her

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now