Talk

Advanced search

nightmare tenants and slum landlords

(6 Posts)
saltlakecity Wed 30-Mar-16 21:13:32

Anyone watching this? How can anyone treat other human beings like this? Foul slum conditions. Mould, fire hazards electrics etc. Then there's the tenant who signed up for 3 months and refuses to move so is still there 4 years later. It's awful.

SpringingIntoAction Wed 30-Mar-16 21:19:18

What annoys me is that it's tax payers money that is paid to these slum landlords in the form of housing benefit.

You would think that when public money is used to purchase accommodation for someone that accommodation would be of a decent standard.

There was a proposal in the House of Commons recently that all accommodation paid for by housing benefit should be inspected to ensure it was of an adequate standard. That proposition was voted down.

I find that quite scandalous s surely we should be seeking to improve standards and not propping out slum landlords with public money.

saltlakecity Wed 30-Mar-16 21:21:11

Springing - I agree that's a good idea but I'd imagine it would be thousands of properties. Not sure if it's financially feasible.

SquinkiesRule Wed 30-Mar-16 21:21:44

Yes I'm amazed that people can be so horrible.
Dh and I were going to buy our retirement property, ready for when we need it. We'd rent it out till we retire, less than 15 years don't think we'll bother. We'll just do this one up and live in it till retirement instead.

SpringingIntoAction Wed 30-Mar-16 21:34:10

Springing - I agree that's a good idea but I'd imagine it would be thousands of properties. Not sure if it's financially feasible.

Make the landlord bear the cost of certifying it met prescribed standards.. Wouldn't cost the tax payer anything.

I have thought many times about doing BTL but the horror stories put me off. Took my neighbour months to repair the wilful damage caused to his BTL. Screwdriver hammered through the kitchen sink, shit smeared on the walls WTF?

saltlakecity Wed 30-Mar-16 21:38:19

Good idea. Your poor neighbour. What the hell is wrong with some people.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now