Talk

Advanced search

Aye, Right!!!

(4 Posts)
Speccytacular Wed 30-Mar-16 15:30:25

www.mummypages.co.uk/this-ordinary-couple-retired-in-their-30s-heres-how-they-did-it

Just been sent this link. On the face of it I was saying well done, good on you.
Then you start to delve deeper than the claims of 'I'm an ordinary Joe;. How are they ordinary if they could save £1m in 10 years? That's saving £100k per year? That puts them in elite money earning territory. AIBU?

Good on them anyway. Hope they enjoy it.

LoisWilkersonsLastNerve Wed 30-Mar-16 15:45:08

Eh naw. Just naw. tbgrin

JolseBaby Wed 30-Mar-16 18:15:46

I don't doubt that they have worked hard, but they were very fortunate with their investments as well - which is a gamble. The rental market in the US is also very different to over here; most of the time it's cheaper to have a mortgage than pay rent + fees + deposits...And that's before you get into the territory of being in a rental which is truly long term rather than being sold on so that you have to move again, and again, and again.

However they've achieved their goal so good luck to them.

IAmAPaleontologist Wed 30-Mar-16 18:34:22

Well that's nice for them.

But life isn't like that for most of us is it? Must have had good solid jobs. Waited to have a child so didn't have nursery fees obliterating salaries and so on.

We never go out, ran our car into the ground before replacing and so on but we can't save that much every year!

Also, retiring for life. Really? Quite apart form wondering what the hell they will do with themselves I question how you can actually live on the income. It is a nice investment yes but it isn't really that substantial to fund a couple until old age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now