Talk

Advanced search

To ask our guest not to eat the baby-food?

(251 Posts)
IslandCanary Wed 30-Mar-16 15:02:30

DH's friend and his partner are staying for a few nights. I've met her on 2 occasions, she seems very nice, normal, friendly.

On their arrival I told them to help themselves to anything from kitchen, showed them the snacks cupboard, fruit, fridge etc. Plenty of biscuits, chocolate, crackers, cake, yogurts, cheese etc. Baby food is in bottom half of cupboard.

This morning I found 2 empty jars of Heinz baby porridge in the recycling, along with an empty pouch of purred mango. Mid-morning I noticed her eating a baby cocoa-vanilla dessert straight from the jar! confused

I don't know what to do! DH thinks it's hilarious and says not to mention it. I'm irritated as the jars are expensive, they are for DS and there is plenty of other food.

AIBU to think this is really weird and rude? Should I hide the jars or let her carry on?

Katarzyna79 Wed 30-Mar-16 15:05:15

i would hide the jars it's your baby food!!! she shouldn't be eating it. If it were her own house and she wanted to try a bit that's fine and dandy but to eat it regular and in someone elses home like it's regular adult food well weird and rude.

Jemappelle Wed 30-Mar-16 15:05:48

You need to tell them but be prepared for lots of people to come at say YABU to use ready made baby food and purées whether homemade or not because why not BLW

Be warned in advancegrin

SushiAndTheBanshees Wed 30-Mar-16 15:07:46

I'm with your DH. Food is food is food: if it's good enough for your baby, it's good enough for your guests. And vice versa. Why differentiate between the baby's food and everyone else's?!

GloriousGoosebumps Wed 30-Mar-16 15:08:26

I'd have to ask her why she was eating the baby food simply because I couldn't bear not knowing what was going on but if asking would result in an argument with DH as they're his guests, then I'd hid the jars. It might be quite amusing to see what she does when the jars disappear!

AdrenalineFudge Wed 30-Mar-16 15:09:38

I don't believe this. Not because I think you're making this up but just how an adult would think it appropriate to eat what clearly looks like baby food unless it's in non-despricpt packaging? I've known some people who eat baby food in adulthood but they had eating disorders and tried to hide it, I doubt they'd just pop open a jar in even their closest relative's house and eat it. confused

KingJoffreyLikesJaffaCakes Wed 30-Mar-16 15:10:03

Maybe her teeth are sore?

Sorebigtoes Wed 30-Mar-16 15:10:38

That's v weird, but it's made me smile so thank you for posting! Some people do v odd things and occasionally it's a joy to come across them. No advice, btw. Not sure what I'd do either!smilesmilesmile

SpaceDinosaur Wed 30-Mar-16 15:12:42

I really like farleys rusks
helpful to the end me

Goingtobeawesome Wed 30-Mar-16 15:13:02

Ask her why she ate your baby's food.

OneLove10 Wed 30-Mar-16 15:13:56

I think it would be rude and make them feel uncomfortable especially as you told them to have what they want. Just move the food to another cupboard for the few days that they are there and save a whole awkward situation.

Katarzyna79 Wed 30-Mar-16 15:14:41

me too space but i wouldn't eat another baby's rusks. if it were my baby and i took the odd one that's fine but to take some other babys rusks that is just criminal lol i;m serious i think its weird this guest eating the baby food.

LittleNelle Wed 30-Mar-16 15:15:10

I would definitely hide the baby food!

nocabbageinmyeye Wed 30-Mar-16 15:16:31

Very srrange! Baby jars are rank, not a dig about jars by the way, we always had some as back up but I mean from an adult perspective I just can't imagine why you would want to eat them when other things were available.

Definitely either hide them ir say something, it's a bit cheeky, she has taken the help yourself to whatever far too literally

Mishaps Wed 30-Mar-16 15:16:38

I think that is hysterical! Nest time they come offer an assortment of nappies laid out in the bedroom!

gamerchick Wed 30-Mar-16 15:17:07

Hide the rest of them until they've left. I wouldn't bring it up in case she has some sort of disordered eating/ extreme diet thing going on. They're her worms just leave them be.

MovingOnUpMovingOnOut Wed 30-Mar-16 15:17:13

I'd say "X you do know that's baby food don't you?". Chances are she doesn't realise.

On the off chance she does know I'd say "I know I said help yourself to anything but I didn't mean the baby food. You're welcome to anything except that.".

nocabbageinmyeye Wed 30-Mar-16 15:17:56

Except Liga, Liga is yum regardless of age

Ohfourfoxache Wed 30-Mar-16 15:17:58

Sorry op, that is just absolutely fucking hilarious! I mean, why on earth would someone DO that?

Could you wash out the empty jars and serve her dinner in them instead of on a plate.....? grin

Katarzyna79 Wed 30-Mar-16 15:18:28

irrelevant OP but as jemappelle mentioned it i think youre wasting money getting baby porridge i hate to see waste lol. Get a box of regular original porridge oats, bit milk bang in 2-3 mins done at a fraction of the cost and healthier ;)

buy the savoury stuff but brekkie you don't need to buy.

in fact id be tempted to put a box of instant porridge on the kitchen table might be good hint for your guest lool

Ifailed Wed 30-Mar-16 15:18:48

I hope they didn't drink any of the baby tap water?

BumWad Wed 30-Mar-16 15:19:24

YANBU it's bloody weird

NerrSnerr Wed 30-Mar-16 15:20:11

You don't have any expressed breast milk in the fridge do you? I'd be keeping an eye on that if you do!

BumWad Wed 30-Mar-16 15:20:38

Yep agree with Katarzyna Ready Brek it is.

However the jars and pouches are good when travelling out and about

NoSquirrels Wed 30-Mar-16 15:21:10

Um, can you not causally mention something along the lines of "Did you have trouble finding the porridge this morning? Sorry if it wasn't obvious - only I noticed you had to eat the baby food and I feel terrible. Let me show you again where the grown-up's stuff is." And then when they laugh and say "Oh no, I LIKE eating baby food" you can make a face and tell them the jars are really quite expensive and for taking out and about with you when baby needs something quickly, so please cease and desist.

Total oddball behaviour as a guest!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now