Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To want to know a cause of death

(9 Posts)
lightthelampbabe Wed 30-Mar-16 14:38:20

For the last year or so I've been trying to contact a friend of mine but whenever I've rung there's been no answer, the mobile goes to voicemail and about six months ago the home line was cut off. I've just done a search on the internet and discovered he's dead. Am I being unreasonable for wanting to know why he died? (the Gazette says he died on or before so I'm guessing he was found rather than hospital.) He had almost no friends and no contact with remaining family. How do I go about finding out, he lived in Wales.

RedMapleLeaf Wed 30-Mar-16 14:40:46

In what way do you think you might be being unreasonable?

wannadancethenightaway Wed 30-Mar-16 14:44:07

Not sure how this would make you unreasonable. I think, in the same circumstances, I would like to know how a friend had passed away.

Sorry for your loss flowers

x2boys Wed 30-Mar-16 14:45:59

is the results of a coroners inquest not deemed public knowledge no idea btw ?They may not have a cause of death sometimes they dont we only found out 10 months after my sil died suddenly the actual cause.

AnchorDownDeepBreath Wed 30-Mar-16 14:46:04

Do you know who his next of kin would have been?

If you know where abouts he died, I think you can apply for a death certificate relatively cheaply.

lightthelampbabe Wed 30-Mar-16 15:08:46

His only living family was a brother who lives in Thailand and another brother who he never spoke to, he appears to have died intestate with the executor being named as the brother he had no contact with.

lightthelampbabe Wed 30-Mar-16 15:09:41

He lived in South Wales, I don't know where he died.

NeedMoreSleepOrSugar Wed 30-Mar-16 16:05:10

www.gov.uk/order-copy-birth-death-marriage-certificate assuming you can't get in touch with family or friends

wannadancethenightaway Wed 30-Mar-16 17:05:09

I'm in Scotland so I'm not sure how much use this will be but I was able to trace my family tree and access birth and death certificates by paying a fee in the Mitchell Library in Glasgow which is a well known reference library. I would investigate whether such a service is available in England and Wales. First port of call could be your local library as odd as it sounds.

Good luck op.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now