Talk

Advanced search

About Post Office gift Cards

(16 Posts)
balia Tue 29-Mar-16 18:32:34

Or does everyone else know about this already?

Doing a bit of a spring clean and found 2 gift cards in DSS's room. Presents from his grandparents. He can't remember when he got them/how much they were for, so checked it out online - they're for £20 and £10. Except they aren't anymore, as apparently after 18 months they start charging a monthly card fee! £1 a month, so all the balance has been used up.

Am not pleased.

Bryna Tue 29-Mar-16 18:50:43

I don't know about post office cards, but when gift cards were brought in shops put a 'use by' date on them (usually 2years) then the balance is removed ( 'admin fees') . The old paper vouchers lasted forever!

TheTroubleWithAngels Tue 29-Mar-16 18:52:42

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

cardibach Tue 29-Mar-16 18:59:17

You can say it's his own fault, Trouble, and by the letter of the terms and conditions you are right. However, the PO have had £30 for nothing - and I can't see what 'admin visits' might apply to justify this.

Twinkie1 Tue 29-Mar-16 19:01:11

We had this too.

I think it should be advertised better that the PO are taking your cash for doing sweet FA!

ilovesooty Tue 29-Mar-16 19:01:48

I think I'd be more annoyed with him for treating presents from his grandparents with such disrespect than I'd be with the Post Office.

Flumplet Tue 29-Mar-16 19:04:12

Not so easy to spend either are they!! I've got one and tried to spend it in H&M once and they didn't know what to do with it so it's been sat in my purse ever since. That was over a year ago so it's probs worth jack-all by now!

balia Tue 29-Mar-16 19:28:19

I am a bit annoyed with him; he's -hopelessly- a bit disorganised and the issue of his attitude to presents has come up more than once.

But in fairness he wouldn't have read the small print and realised what a waste it was going to be. The 'valid until' date on the actual cards is 2017 and 2018. I think this is a rip-off.

balia Tue 29-Mar-16 19:28:47

hopelessly

Oops!

Floggingmolly Tue 29-Mar-16 19:37:13

How could they be valid until 2017/2018 if the admin fees (what fecking admin??) have managed to eat up the balance already?
That has to be false advertising, surely?
Dd did this with a Paperchase gift card one Christmas, it got tidied away with the decorations and was found again the following year and when she checked; they told her it had a 2 year expiry date so was good for another 12 months.

fascicle Tue 29-Mar-16 19:37:16

I very recently made the same discovery. We also have two unused cards. I'm planning to contact them when I've got an idle moment. It seems a tad outrageous to invoke a monthly charge presumably to cover making a monthly charge. National book vouchers on the other hand are very generous and restore unused balances after cards have expired.

Queenbean Tue 29-Mar-16 19:40:44

I would just write to the post office and explain, they will likely refund you the amount

I had an old house of Fraser voucher which was about 6 years old and all dogeared - I emailed them a scan and said I was really sorry, had just found it and could they replace and they asked me to send it in and replaced with no problem

I know the post offices t&cs do state it but if you complain they might be kind

gingerdad Tue 29-Mar-16 19:50:59

We had a similar problem when we spent part of a card and they started taking fees. Just try to avoid them now.

DriveInSaturday Tue 29-Mar-16 20:01:12

The first time I used one, in Curry's, the assistant hadn't seen one before, but I showed her the leaflet (which said Curry's accept it), and she got someone else who helped her put it through. Yesterday I used one in H&M with no problem. I take the leaflet with me, though - I expect people not to have heard of it.

MIL bought one for DS's birthday. We said what a good idea and didn't dare admit we hadn't been brave enough to try using it (the instructions look quite forbidding), so she got him another one for Christmas. So I finally womaned up. I did notice the charges after 18 (I think) months in the small print and didn't want to lose the money.

pineapplecrush Tue 29-Mar-16 21:11:34

I didn't know this and have bought 2 or 3 in the past as thought they were a good idea as they can be spent in so many shops. However, did discover they can be used in some WH Smiths and not others and the balance can't be checked if you don't spend the full balance all at once (in WH Smiths when I asked).

ThedementedPenguin Tue 29-Mar-16 21:16:16

I was given one for being great at a task at work once. Saved it to buy some baby things only a month or so later and it was empty. Went onto live chat and they said they are only valid for so long (think it was 18months) and then the balanced is wiped. You can send the card back including an prepaid envelope to return and it costs £5 to get the balance put back on.

Wasn't worth it as it was £10 gift card.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now