To go to a slimming club and not follow their plan

(32 Posts)
ilovevegcrisps Mon 28-Mar-16 11:44:56

I want to lose weight.

I think I'd like to meet others as well and have that 'group support' but I know SW/WW won't work for me - plan to do something else - but WIBU to join anyway just to see weight loss and for the 'social' aspect?

curren Mon 28-Mar-16 12:04:20

It's up to you. But £5 per week (ish) for the social aspect wouldn't be value for money for me.

I do SW and most of the class is listening the consultant. Not sat around chatting.

AgathaMystery Mon 28-Mar-16 12:06:30

No idea about WW but SW will only not work for you if you don't eat fruit/veg/pasta/dairy.

It's pretty sociable but maybe varies group to group. Mine is like a stand up comedy show TBH. Very sociable, lots of nights out and nights in together etc.

revealall Mon 28-Mar-16 12:15:56

WW didn't work for me. If I ever went over my days points it was all...well pointless.

I have many friends that have lost on SW. Have no idea how but it seems to suit the greedy too. Tempted to try it but don't know if it's worth £5 a week or whether it will prove too much to stick to.

gymboywalton Mon 28-Mar-16 12:17:24

how do you know slimming world won't work for you?

by saying that you are saying 'i know eating healthily won't work for me'

what are you planning to do instead?

Champagneformyrealfriends Mon 28-Mar-16 12:19:16

YANBU but you are wasting your money. The group support is based around the diet. If you think the weigh ins will help though then do it.

MissBattleaxe Mon 28-Mar-16 12:19:58

Yes, it seems a bit weird to go to a group that will be talking about Slimming World when you'll be saying "I'm doing my own thing. Your thing won't work for me."

Penguinepenguins Mon 28-Mar-16 12:20:24

Waste of money if your going for social aspect, never found them to be sociable at all - most people weigh and run...

Muskateersmummy Mon 28-Mar-16 12:21:39

I do SW, but I don't think it's worth it for the social side. You'd be better off taking a gym class if you just want some like minded friends.

Penguinepenguins Mon 28-Mar-16 12:21:42

And until you try it you won't know if it will work... I think they all work if you follow religiously, just that some people find some easier to follow than others.

molyholy Mon 28-Mar-16 12:29:14

I recently join sw. It has been a revelation for me and I find it hard not to follow. Our leader is fab. The groups are a laugh. I never stayed for meetings at ww and compared to sw, it seems restrictive. I tell no word of a lie, I lost 7lb in my first week and its my second weigh in later. I do find the meetings sociable and the leader/consultant makes sure everyone is involved in the chats. I need the discipline of being weighed at a class, but tbh the meetings and talks do revolve around the diet. Why wouldn't it work for you? I would never go back to ww now.

ilovevegcrisps Mon 28-Mar-16 12:29:38

I wouldn't be saying 'I'm doing my own thing!' grin I would still (hopefully!) be losing weight just in private not doing SW or WW.

TheStoic Mon 28-Mar-16 12:31:20

Start your own group?

ilovevegcrisps Mon 28-Mar-16 12:33:12

Ah that'd be nice but strategically not possible really!

curren Mon 28-Mar-16 12:37:14

The problem is that a lot of the chat is based around the diet.

Are you going to lie and pretend you do it?

Roygrace Mon 28-Mar-16 12:37:53

I done SW and done low carb and they were all amazed with my weight loss. I just bull shitted about how I stuck to plan blah de blah. I can't eat unlimited anything a party from meat, fish and eggs. I would gorge on unlimited fruit, muller lights etc

gamerchick Mon 28-Mar-16 12:40:23

So when they ask you to tell the group how you got that weeks weight loss you're going to say what if you're not following the plan?

ilovevegcrisps Mon 28-Mar-16 12:41:37

I would curren but it's not exactly lying to mislead the police or something is it? smile

I'm the same Roy I tried SW once and ate something like eight bananas grin

tabulahrasa Mon 28-Mar-16 12:44:01

I can't see any point to it, if you're losing well you'll be asked for ideas, lots of the talk is about food and recipes...you'll not be able to say anything.

Also, how do you know it won't work for you?

CQ Mon 28-Mar-16 12:45:44

Another one here attending SW but not following the plan religiously. I feel they promote too much 'low-fat' labelled and processed foods, which I avoid like the plague.

So I follow it but use regular FF products. Just the accountability and eating more fresh veg is a good starting point for me. I have admitted to them that I won't be buying any of the branded products or eating Muller lights etc, and that's fine. I am not religiously 'Synning' the FF products that I do use - mayo, butter etc but I am consciously using less of them so I figure it's all a move in the right direction.

A dress size down since Christmas is good enough for me - slow but steady progress. Maybe I'd lose it faster if I stuck closer to plan but I won't eat Frankenfood.

Sadly Easter Eggs are no good on any diet tbusad

ilovevegcrisps Mon 28-Mar-16 12:47:39

Tell me about it CQ!

I just know I lose best with support.

wowfudge Mon 28-Mar-16 12:51:58

I think it sounds pointless tbh. There are other things you could spend the money on. How do you intend to lose weight?

bettyberry Mon 28-Mar-16 12:54:27

how about you set up a FB group and invite other mumsnetters who also want to lose weight and you could support each other?

GreenLounger Mon 28-Mar-16 12:56:17

YANBU... I go to SW - I do follow the plan, but sometimes I do calories. It's working well for me smile x

tabulahrasa Mon 28-Mar-16 12:58:18

"Another one here attending SW but not following the plan religiously. I feel they promote too much 'low-fat' labelled and processed foods, which I avoid like the plague."

But it's entirely possible to follow SW religiously and also avoid processed foods.

You don't have to eat muller lights, some people just like them...

If you're a member then you have all the information, nowhere does it say what you have to eat, just what they class as free - which foods you choose from that is entirely up to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now