Birthday party etiquette

(6 Posts)
islurpmyspaghetti Sun 27-Mar-16 22:59:28

So I wondered if I could ask about a bit of birthday party etiquette. DD is 5 and we're attending a lot of whole class parties at the moment.

What's the etiquette with leaving children unattended at these parties?

One mum today left two children to nip home and 'do some stuff'. WSBU?

angelikacpickles Sun 27-Mar-16 23:07:00

SWBNU. It is the norm here for parents to drop and go at parties once children are school age.

AgentZigzag Sun 27-Mar-16 23:08:34

I think at 5 I'd ask if it's OK to leave them then get the fuck out of there quick before they could change their mind

Was it your party today? Did all the other parents stop? Do you normally stop?

Some it just wouldn't be possible for all the parents to stop, especially if there are 30 DC or they're at soft play.

islurpmyspaghetti Sun 27-Mar-16 23:12:41

No, not our party and promise I'm not being judgmental. I just wondered what the perceived etiquette was. She didn't really square it with anyone, just quietly slipped away. I wondered at what point, according to MN, I get to do the same!!

MLGs Sun 27-Mar-16 23:15:16

I think we started leaving from about 6. Seemed the norm where we live. Some people doing it from 5, others still staying at 7th b day parties, depending on what sort of party. I think parents often don't stay if the party is in the host's house from that age, as how would they all fit? But at soft play or something it's up to the parents from school age.

edwinbear Sun 27-Mar-16 23:29:29

I started dropping and running at the end of reception with dc1 if it was a local party. With dc2 (nursery) I dropped and ran a couple of weeks ago. Probably a bit early but I had bronchitis and one of the mums I know well offered to keep an eye as I was clearly ill. Dc2 is particularly confident however and very vocal about wanting to be left, I probably wouldn't have left dc1 at that age.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now