Talk

Advanced search

AIBU to want the Easter Bunny to F*#k off?

(115 Posts)
Limurz Sun 27-Mar-16 11:12:52

When did the EB become a "thing' like a big eared santa sneaking in to leave Easter Eggs? My friends 7yr old was distraught at the supermarket yesterday when he saw someone buying an Eastet Egg and deduced that the EB may not exist. FFS. This just feels like a cynical ploy to turn Easter into Christmas and have us all running around like loons buying presents and too much food. I am officially an Easter grinch!

NotNowPike Sun 27-Mar-16 11:24:55

In our house Easter is as big as Christmas , no presents though
I love Easter grin

Andrewofgg Sun 27-Mar-16 11:37:21

YANBU. To the far side . . . etc.

bigbluebus Sun 27-Mar-16 11:47:51

One of our neighbour's children introduced DS to the Easter Bunny concept - it wasn't something we did in this house. Ever since then it has been the Easter Bunny who has delivered Easter eggs which are left at night outside the bedroom door.
DS has just emerged from his bedroom and come downstairs to get coffee. I noticed the box of Lindt chocolates which I had left outside his bedroom door had been removed. As I reminded him that they weren't breakfast and he replied "it's ok I've put bread in the toaster" I also reminded him that a "thank you" wouldn't go amiss. To which he replied "but it was the Easter Bunny that left the chocolates". DS is 19 and a University student grin

OneLove10 Sun 27-Mar-16 11:53:13

Yanbu, 7yo being distraught? How utterly ridiculous out of hand this is all getting.

MLGs Sun 27-Mar-16 11:55:01

I think 7 is an age when you start realising all this stuff doesn't exist anyway.

My 7 year old has pretty much worked it out, but I don't like to tell her for certain it's all made up quite yet!

Sparklingbrook Sun 27-Mar-16 11:56:05

My advice is never start. We've never done it and thank goodness for that.

WorraLiberty Sun 27-Mar-16 11:57:36

Distraught? How do they cope at Christmas, seeing everyone around them buying Christmas presents?

In fact, have they never noticed all the Easter egg adverts on TV?

swashbucklecheer Sun 27-Mar-16 11:58:35

I'm in my 30s and the easter bunny always left my easter eggs. Now its doing the same for my ds1&2

HellonHeels Sun 27-Mar-16 11:59:44

The easter bunny has been around for years, I'm ancient and it existed in my youth. People are free to play along with the bunny as a bit of fun if they want to I can't see the problem. Make your own easter celebration as a family. To me it's primarily a religious celebration but I still like getting an egg and I've got a decorated osterbaum in the house.

BirthdayBetty Sun 27-Mar-16 12:00:56

I never done the EB thing. I always found the concept creepy grin

corythatwas Sun 27-Mar-16 12:02:47

We had an Easter bunny when I was a child in the 60's: it hid ordinary boiled hen's eggs (though one glorious Easter at my uncle's those had been replaced with chocolate eggs that looked like hen's eggs- never forgotten it!). And no, I don't remember being distraught when Mum sent me down to get half-a-dozen eggs (as people did with 7yos in those days) to do her baking.

I think perhaps it is up to parents to foster their children's resilience rather than to complain about any little thing that other families do.

But then I never worried about my children finding out about Santa either: my take is that life is full of disillusionment and I will gently help them to deal with it.

(or forget all about it: embarrassing memory of finding 7yo ds rooting through my trouser pockets in the small hours because he had learnt from experience that the Tooth Fairy has a memory like a sieve blush)

nocabbageinmyeye Sun 27-Mar-16 12:03:06

I'm 37 and we always had the Easter bunny. Here's a revelation for the 7 year old ..... you can buy for other people ffs, do they keep the child away from toy shops in November/December in case the sight of someone purchasing a toy devastates them??

We only do eggs and a little hunt so not like Christmas here either just a little fun, don't do it if you don't want but a distraught seven year old because someone bought an egg just makes me eye roll (and mutter fuck off)

WhiteBlueDaisies Sun 27-Mar-16 12:04:21

I'm 29 and the Easter Bunny alway brought me an egg. Just as he did for DS and DD this morning. Great fun and a bit of magic to brighten up a miserable wet Sunday.

It's in no way 'new' and I can't think of one possible negative.

usual Sun 27-Mar-16 12:05:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Sootica Sun 27-Mar-16 12:06:21

I told my eldest outright the Easter bunny doesn't exist at 6 and she has liked participating regardless and helped hide some eggs and next year will tell DC2 who will be almost 7. I'm not getting into this ridiculous myth like Santa which DD2 is afraid to say she doesn't believe in and I'm afraid of the long term lies. Am making it as easy as I can about Santa without actually giving it away

ILostItInTheEarlyNineties Sun 27-Mar-16 12:07:32

I grew up in a big family, with older sisters so I was told by them from a young age that the tooth fairy and father Christmas were made up. We all still went along with it and humoured our parents. Acting surprised that we had been visited in the night smile
I think most children quickly work out that it's all a farce but it's still enjoyable for them.

The Easter bunny has suddenly become a more popular concept. I blame those twee American films.

corythatwas Sun 27-Mar-16 12:10:52

According to Swedish Wikipedia, the tradition of Easter bunnies is known from parts of Germany as early as the late 17th century, but was popularised in the rest of Germany after 1850 (yes, by the toy and sweet industries- hardly surprising). Was brought to the US in the 18th century by German immigrants, according to Wikipedia.

We certainly have Easter bunny cards from the early 20th century in our family collection. And we've tough as old boots forgets about having a go at ds this morning thinking he had eaten the wrong Easter egg (he hadn't)

PrimalLass Sun 27-Mar-16 12:14:25

No Easter bunnies here.

But I'm in Scotland and I don't think we 'do' Easter as much.

VoldysGoneMouldy Sun 27-Mar-16 12:18:29

We've never done the Easter Bunny. My dad used to do it for me, but I caught him out about aged four when I recognized his handwriting on a clue. They didn't bother doing it with my brother - we still got hunts though grin

DS asked me yesterday if the EB would be coming. I looked at him, he told me they'd been doing it in drama club on Thursday. I told him the EB wasn't real, it was just something some parents did, but seeing as we'd already told him the situation with his egg (gave him the option to go halves a book set he wanted and have a smaller egg instead of a larger egg, which he was really happy about), he would know it was from us. "Oh okay", he said, and carried on eating dinner.

IgnoreMeEveryOtherReindeerDoes Sun 27-Mar-16 12:19:56

So where does the Easter Bunny live and how big is this Bunny delivering eggs.

SlimCheesy Sun 27-Mar-16 12:21:33

Oh, I enjoyed the EB this year. DS has never understood any of this before (aged 6 and SN) but he was very excited to find out 'The Magic Bunny' had left him a soft toy and a chocolate egg on his pillow.

Chocolate all round for breakfast!

bigbuttons Sun 27-Mar-16 12:22:42

I buy my kids eggs and we have always done a mini egg hunt , but it's never had anything to do with a bunny, just me.

Pico2 Sun 27-Mar-16 12:23:27

Last year I bought DD (then 4) a few presents from the Easter bunny. It was things like pyjamas and a couple of toys.

A few days later she said 'I know the Easter Bunny isn't real and you gave me those presents, you don't give nearly as good presents as Santa.'

We've stopped doing the Easter Bunny and most Christmas presents come from us with a few from Santa. I am not working to pay for presents, only to be outdone by a fictional character.

candykane25 Sun 27-Mar-16 12:23:59

We've told 2yr DD that Father Christmas and Easter Bunny have each other's mobile number and can report to the other whether she's been good or bad. And they know the Tooth Fairy too.
YABU.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now