Talk

Advanced search

Need advice bank holiday water leak

(9 Posts)
kappadelta Sun 27-Mar-16 09:43:34

There is water pouring from our shower unit. We have turned the water off and had a plumber visit - covered by our emergency assistance on our insurance policy.

He didn't know what to do and stated we would need to access our trace and access cover on our main building policy to knock holes in the wall. Unfortunately the underwriters are closed until Tuesday.

Any advice on how to proceed with this would be appreciated.

IceMaiden73 Sun 27-Mar-16 09:55:26

I don't think there is anything you can do until Tuesday if the underwriters are closed and the plumber has already been out

There will only be so much water that can come out if the water is turned off

Is the insurance company open today to ask?

kappadelta Sun 27-Mar-16 10:10:02

Only the emergency cover is open today and they can't help.
We do need the water on and cannot last until Tuesaday with it.

OurBlanche Sun 27-Mar-16 10:34:11

It happened to us when we moved into our new house. We had 4 days with the water turned off and another 2 months with low pressure.

Initially we filled pots and pans, took a bit of a drenching, turned the water back off and just put up with cat's lick washes and bottled water - and dry shampoo, which I never, ever want to see again.

It's one of those times when what you can/can't do without cuts no mustard. You just have to cope. Friends and family with working showers, work places, local gym etc... all can be asked, our local gym is quite amenable, they have seen it all before!

wasonthelist Sun 27-Mar-16 11:28:26

What a useless plumber

OurBlanche Sun 27-Mar-16 11:57:44

Not really, wasonthelist. The Op says she has emergency cover, which usually means stopping a leak/making safe until a regular plumber can be called.

If you want more you have to buy a full policy.

kappadelta Sun 27-Mar-16 12:08:10

Our - I do have the full cover - but work needs to be authorised which cannot happen until Tuesday.

OurBlanche Sun 27-Mar-16 12:13:57

'Needs to be authorised' ???

Weird! But then we had a similar issue, which is why we had to wait for a couple of months before the problem was fully resolved. We eventually had the kitchen floor jack hammered up.... welsh slate, we had only owned the house for a month!

kappadelta Sun 27-Mar-16 17:24:46

Quick update. I didn't agree with the first plumber who came and contacted our home assistance who sent another plumber out and caped off the leak smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now