AIBU To be really pissed off at my colleagues!

(43 Posts)
Geekmama Sat 26-Mar-16 22:16:45

All last week certain colleagues Decided to come in to work even though they were very poorly, they got told that they should go home but they decided to stay. I have now missed my easter holiday weekend with my Family as I'm so ill. I'm so incredibly pissed off and hope They are having a really shitty easter. Am I U the Next time that I'm ill to "accidentally" sneeze all over them? grin

ChameleonCircuit Sat 26-Mar-16 22:27:50

I'd save a few geeky tissues, then wipe their telephone headsets with them. I hate people who needlessly spread their germs around.

ChameleonCircuit Sat 26-Mar-16 22:28:30

Not geeky, germy!

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sat 26-Mar-16 22:28:45

Geeky tissues?

AtSea1979 Sat 26-Mar-16 22:29:06

I feel your pain, this happens to me angry

sharonthewaspandthewineywall Sat 26-Mar-16 22:29:07

Cross post- best autocorrect ever

MadamDeathstare Sat 26-Mar-16 22:30:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Geekmama Sat 26-Mar-16 22:31:28

ChameleonCircuit excellent idea! grin

Theydontknowweknowtheyknow Sat 26-Mar-16 22:35:32

Geeky tissues grin I was imagining tissues with lines of programming code printed on them.

There are a few geeks in my office I'd like to wipe up.

lorelei9here Sat 26-Mar-16 22:38:52

Madam, an award for coming to work sick?!

Op YANBU
Hope you feel better soon. Stupid arses.

Babyroobs Sat 26-Mar-16 22:42:14

Same here - last week work was full of snotty red nosed colleauges who would not stay away. This week my annual leave week has been ruined by me going down with the bug.

PunkrockerGirl Sat 26-Mar-16 22:46:59

Yanbu. Drives me mad, they think they're doing everyone such a huge favour coming in to work and spreading their revolting germs everywhere. I'm past caring - I just tell them they should go home, but if they insist on staying, not to come anywhere near me or use my phone or keyboard etc. It does make them think sometimes.
Trouble is, these are usually the people who genuinely believe that the place won't function if they're not there confused

PastaLaFeasta Sat 26-Mar-16 23:03:32

I'm just getting over flu which has been awful, I've lost over a week of my life being so poorly. DH had it too and I told him he had to stay home as its not worth passing it on to someone, especially if pregnant for example. I've stayed away from my volunteering too, I don't want anyone catching it off me and suffering like that. Flu is no joke. I suspect there is something in the British working culture that discourages people taking sick leave. DH felt terrible for being off and thought his manager would be annoyed.

MadamDeathstare Sat 26-Mar-16 23:03:53

SuperCee7 Sat 26-Mar-16 23:07:11

It's annoying but people can't always the time off. For example i dont get sick pay (agency staff) so yup, I'd go in an spread my germs.

SecretsAndStuff21 Sat 26-Mar-16 23:23:33

It makes no difference if they decided to stay on at work or not. The " bugs" would have been spread well before they were poorly enough to stay off work.

lorelei9here Sun 27-Mar-16 00:23:41

Madam, same difference, it incentivises people to crime in when sick. Awful.

MadamDeathstare Sun 27-Mar-16 03:14:29

BillSykesDog Sun 27-Mar-16 03:29:22

I agree with secrets, the bugs would have spread while they were incubating them anyway.

Besides, current HR practice in many places is actually specifically tailored to identify and potentially get rid of people who take time off for every cough or sniffle. If your workplace uses the Bradford factor then doing so could land you with disciplinary action or possible dismissal. Plus sickness records are taken into account in things like assessing candidates for redundancy.

In my experience management generally expect you to come in if you're well enough to work. So if you have flu, fine, you're too sick to work anyway. If you have a cold take a lemsip and go in.

I think they're probably absolutely right to go in and do what will reflect well with management and their employment records rather than pandering to a few germphobes.

Coughs, colds, infections are a normal part of life, if annoying, and for normal healthy adults you just have to suck it up you'll have them now and again.

LifeofI Sun 27-Mar-16 03:31:40

eat a whole garlic clove every 2 hours, it taste like shit but it will get rid of your cold in 48 hours

MadamDeathstare Sun 27-Mar-16 03:51:57

MardAsSnails Sun 27-Mar-16 04:16:42

Our workplace need a sick note for one day off not in UK which leads to most people coming in whilst sick. Productivity goes down for a week as everyone gets it, but nobody, me included, sees the point of a sick day when you need to go out and wait for 2 hours in the doctors waiting room for a sick note. Everyone comes in and does fuck all for a day instead

Chottie Sun 27-Mar-16 06:33:41

My work place uses the Bradford factor too (LA). There are regular 3 monthly reports circulated to managers which document every day of sickness. Managers have to complete forms to say what action has been taken. Regular patterns of sickness are very closely monitored. Hence most people come into work unless they are physically unable to get out of bed.

lorelei9here Sun 27-Mar-16 11:27:15

To be fair, I do blame the culture and not the individuals in many cases.

That said I currently work in a place where they encourage you to be off if you're sick and don't look down on it. They also encourage Skype meetings and home working when not ill. At the moment if someone comes in with a bug, they're basically to,d to stand in the corner, lol, but I would like my boss to go the whole hog and send them home.

Re the early stage of infection, if you work in a big place and they were in on that day, they still won't have spread to as many people as they do when in for the duration, often you're infectious the first few days of the full illness emerging.

I have a mate who changed his attitude to sick days on account of the Bradford thing. Now if he needs one day off with a bug, he takes four, sometimes five. I wonder how many others take this approach. In my previous place, I don't know if they used it but they would look down on sickness too so I also took at least two days because they seemed to find it more convincing.

bertsdinner Sun 27-Mar-16 12:14:08

It is annoying when people come with colds and spread it everywhere. On the other hand, most workplaces look unfavourabley on sickness, especially colds, so people end up going in.
There was a sickness bug going round our office last week and I was cursing those who came in with it, although I understand why they did.

My employer uses the Bradford score and are fairly strict on sickness, you can a disciplinary if you are off so many days in 12 months. It also affects our bonus, they dock money for sickness so many will struggle in because they dont want their bonus affected.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now