Okay - genuine AIBU!

(49 Posts)
blossomhoneymoon Sat 26-Mar-16 22:15:19

If I am I will smile and accept it and say thank you smile

Gave a lift to a colleague who if I am honest I don't really like, she often puts me in the position of giving her a lift. At some point during the journey, my sunglasses fell on the car floor. I stopped at the garage for fuel and she got out as well to get a drink. Got back in the car and crunch - she trod on and broke my sunglasses.

She squealed (repeatedly) and kept saying they had broken but didn't apologise. AIBU to think she should really have offered to replace them?

neonrainbow Sat 26-Mar-16 22:16:25

Yes she should. How much are they worth?

nam207 Sat 26-Mar-16 22:16:28

I would have offered had it been me.

Farandole Sat 26-Mar-16 22:16:46

Yes she should have. YANBU.

Enkopkaffetak Sat 26-Mar-16 22:17:21

YANBU at a minimum an apology.

blossomhoneymoon Sat 26-Mar-16 22:18:47

They weren't hugely expensive but they weren't £5 from the market either, I think they were about £20 from Top Shop? I wouldn't have accepted it if she had offered and been really apologetic but she was so dismissive.

OneLove10 Sat 26-Mar-16 22:19:01

It sounds like a mistake but she should have offered an apology.

RubbleBubble00 Sat 26-Mar-16 22:19:05

apart from not liking this person, it was an accident. Guess neither of you saw the glasses fall in the floor. Would have been polite of her to offer money for replacement but she shouldn't be made to pay.

Coldtoeswarmheart Sat 26-Mar-16 22:19:24

YANBU.

Iamcheeseman Sat 26-Mar-16 22:20:21

When you say they fell on the floor- did they fall in her footwell? If so why didn't she pick them up at the time? And yes- she knew they were there so her fault. If she got in your car without knowing to check for anything she might stand on and break- you fault.

sonlypuppyfat Sat 26-Mar-16 22:21:08

My mum smashed an ornament of mine once, she said it's OK she didn't like it anyway

blossomhoneymoon Sat 26-Mar-16 22:22:22

They fell in her footwell, yes.

It was absolutely an accident but an avoidable one if she'd just glanced at the floor sad I get that accidents happen and i definitely wouldn't be demanding money with menaces or anything but if I'd done it I know I'd have apologised loads and offered to pay and then that whole 'no, no, it's fine, oh no I insist, no, please, I wouldn't hear of it ...' exchange would happen! grin

Gwenci Sat 26-Mar-16 22:24:45

YANBU from me. I'd apologise profusely if I accidentally broke someone's sunglasses. I'd also offer to buy replacements.

If I were the owner of the broken sunglasses I wouldn't accept any money but would be glad of the apology.

Even if it was accidental, you still apologise.

LogicalThinking Sat 26-Mar-16 22:25:38

Did she know they were on the floor?
Why hadn't you or she picked them up when you stopped at the garage?
It does seem like it was clearly an accident. I wouldn't expect someone to pay for breaking something that I had dropped that they then trod on.

Creampastry Sat 26-Mar-16 22:27:19

No more lifts for her - tell her you're glasses shopping!

Iamcheeseman Sat 26-Mar-16 22:27:35

Hmmm. I really think it depends if she knew they fell? If I got in a friend's car, either at the start of a journey or getting back in after a stop, I wouldn't think to check the footwell. If glasses are in there they are likely to get stood on! Maybe she really wouldn't be able to pay for a replacement which is why she didn't offer.

SoupDragon Sat 26-Mar-16 22:41:16

Do you look in the footwell of a car before getting in? When you only got out of it a few minutes earlier...? Really?

you should find somewhere safer for your stuff. If they'd fallen in your footwell it could have been be dangerous.

WeAllHaveWings Sat 26-Mar-16 22:54:53

YABVU to think she should replace them. If she was not expecting dark glasses on a dark floor its an accident the she reasonably could not have foreseen. On the other hand you could have had your sunglasses safe place.

YANBU to expect her to say "sorry I didn't see them", but its not really her fault they were there.

I think your feelings for this woman are clouding your judgement.

angielou123 Sat 26-Mar-16 23:04:41

She should absolutely replace them and i can't believe she didn't apologise either! I would not be giving her any more lifts. You need to show her your not a pushover.

SecretsAndStuff21 Sat 26-Mar-16 23:04:45

Regardless of whether it was an accident or not, the vast majority of people would have apologised profusely and offered to pay for a new pair.
Even if he had told them that is okay, I think it would be the pretty standard to make amends by way of a bunch of flowers or a gift voucher.
Don't offer a lift again. Not because of the accident ,but because she feels entitled to a lift.
I accept a lot of people don't drive, but most will offer to pay towards the cost of fuel or buy the occasional bottle of wine or whatever.

Vintage45 Sun 27-Mar-16 00:12:21

I'd also not offer her any more lifts. I wouldn't have offered to pay due to where they were but I'd certainly have offered a contribution.

I have a colleague who was going on a date straight from work one evening and it was bucketing down so I offered her my umbrella, The next time I saw her I asked for it back, she had the cheek to say she got pissed and left it in the pub and who remembers to pick up an umbrella in that situation :/

She's one of these.

EveryoneElsie Sun 27-Mar-16 00:15:09

Even if it was an accident, just saying 'ooh they're broken' is twattish. I wouldnt give her any more lifts. I would have offered to replace them, as well as offering petrol money.

incandescentalright Sun 27-Mar-16 18:10:55

I actually think YABU, presuming she didn't know they were down there (ie hadn't seen them fall). It's not her fault that they fell, she didn't expect that there would be breakable items at her feet. If I broke something by standing on it in someone's car in circumstances where I had no idea that the thing was on the floor in the first place, I'm not convinced that I'd pay. And anyway, she presumably hasn't offered because she doesn't know they're £20 topshop ones. Sunglasses can be pricey, esp if they're prescription - I don't think she can be blamed for not offering a blank cheque. I'd just ask her if you want the cash -- it's not like she's a friend anyway so nothing to lose.

usual Sun 27-Mar-16 18:14:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GirlOverboard Sun 27-Mar-16 18:33:17

YABU. She didn't know the sunglasses were there. You can't leave a fragile item in the footwell of your car and then get pissed off when a passenger treads on them. It's entirely your responsibility. And why would she need to 'glance' at the footwell before getting in, when she'd only exited the car two minutes ago? In her position, I probably would have said sorry out of habit (because I apologise for everything), but there's no way I would be offering to pay for a replacement pair.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now