Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To wonder if any of you have ever paid full price for an item from Gap or House of Fraser?

(25 Posts)
Cerseirys Sat 26-Mar-16 16:06:33

Because they are ALWAYS having sales! Barely a week goes by without me receiving an email from them with a 30-40% off promotion or a "Big Brand Sale". Is business so bad that they have to keep doing this? It's been going on for years now.

WeAllHaveWings Sat 26-Mar-16 16:13:45

I remember with Gap maybe 3 years ago everyone used to get excited about the 30% VIP offers, their clothes were generally very good quality and with 30% off a good buy.

I haven't bought from there for a while as DS(12) is not going through an everything has to be Adidas phase, but still get their emails and over the last 6-9 months there is constantly promo codes. They must be starting to struggle, cant remember the last time I saw anyone in a GAP logo hoody.

Goandplay Sat 26-Mar-16 16:16:59

I know what you mean. I love Gap for baby, toddler and pre school ages. I really hope they don't go out of business before my youngest has out grown them.
The clothes always outlast the ages they've been bought for. I think the quality is excellent, but now I won't buy anything unless I have a code.

Cerseirys Sat 26-Mar-16 16:21:33

Same for Banana Republic, as they're owned by Gap. I do find their clothes rather overpriced and a little BA cabin crew at times though.

Body Shop is another one that's forever sending 40% off emails!

WhereYouLeftIt Sat 26-Mar-16 16:25:15

I've been thinking the same about Laura Ashley. Emails announcing a sale, emails reminding me of the sale, emails announcing sale ends Sunday, by Tuesday another sale starts ...

Sparklingbrook Sat 26-Mar-16 16:40:29

I don't understand House of Fraser. It's always a bit deserted in there and I am never sure which bit is for me if any.

MadisonAvenue Sat 26-Mar-16 16:43:32

I've paid full price in House Of Fraser when I've bought make up, but never in Gap that I remember.

KP86 Sat 26-Mar-16 16:47:16

If they are having 40% off sales constantly it shows how overpriced the stuff is to begin with because they still won't be losing money at that price, or they couldn't afford to do it.

Fannycraddock79 Sat 26-Mar-16 17:10:28

If I remember rightly the 30% gap started as a friends and family thing where you got a card with your name on a couple of times a year. One year something happened when it was emailed out and meant anyone could use it. They honoured all the sales and from that year on have sent out the 30%/40% emails ever since. Like pp said it just shows how marked up their clothes are.

winewolfhowls Sat 26-Mar-16 17:22:00

Gap maternity clothes are sooo comfy. I will pay full price for those

OneLove10 Sat 26-Mar-16 17:31:03

Wine can I ask if you find gap maternity wear sizing true to fit? I'm petite size 8 so would i need to go up or keep to size 8?

JuneFromBethesda Sat 26-Mar-16 17:34:00

I bought some Gap joggers at full price the other day, but online as I needed the longer length and my local jumble sale Gap shop doesn't stock them. So yes, their 'tall' range I would pay full price for - but even then there are usually codes for money off, so I should have planned my purchase more carefully! (But they're going back as they're not right, so no harm done ...)

EssentialHummus Sat 26-Mar-16 17:37:24

Never paid full price in Gap or Pizza Express grin. I really like Gap for basic tops and jeans, but if I give myself enough time I can usually get at least a 25% discount. I'm on their mailing list and get 1-2 discount emails a week.

CornishDoll82 Sat 26-Mar-16 17:40:24

Somehow I got on a Devenhams mailing list and they were discounting every other week - emails were driving me mad.

It's such a short term strategy. With M&S I now never buy anything that I'm planning to without waiting for one of their 'exclusive' 20% off offers

FilthyRascal Sat 26-Mar-16 17:45:33

Gap in particular have really stepped up the discount codes in the last year or 2. The 30% codes would run once or twice a year and everyone would be really excited and the shop would be packed. Now they email me a code several times a week which is tiresome and yes means I'd never buy anything at full price.

I haven't found the same with house of Fraser but there are only a few brands I buy from there and I think perhaps they're the less often discounted brands anyway. Polarn o pyret etc.

OhSoggyBiscuit Sat 26-Mar-16 17:45:40

Nope. Only ever sales, and they seem to do them a LOT!! Got some nice stuff from there for fairly cheap but wouldn't pay full price.

BarbaraofSeville Sat 26-Mar-16 19:25:48

YANBU. It's annoying. But it works and tricks people into buying when they otherwise wouldn't.

Same with Pizza Express and most other chain restaurants, there's always a 2 for 1 voucher or similar. DP and I joke that the definition of someone with more money than sense is someone who eats at a chain restaurant without using a voucher.

IncognitoBurrito Sat 26-Mar-16 21:02:04

YANBU i also get emailed tons of sales for Gap.

I read somewhere that's it's a more US model of trading. They go in for coupons and discounts a lot over there rather than pricing the item low to start with like Primark. It's really only worth the sale price.

I think the quality in Gap clothes has fallen off a cliff since the 90s. They used to be great.

senua Sat 26-Mar-16 21:07:37

Has no-one mentioned Debenhams and their Blue Cross sales yet? You can set your watch by them.

winewolfhowls Sun 27-Mar-16 22:14:34

Onelove, I did find it true to size. I am a pear shaped 12 to a 14.

Certainly right for tops and dresses but I tried on jeans as I find them difficult to find even normally.

TestingTestingWonTooFree Sun 27-Mar-16 22:18:26

Laura Ashley are a fancier DFS. They have sales more often than not (or so it feels). I only buy from GAP outlet, and generally only when there's an extra sale on.

BankWadger Sun 27-Mar-16 22:23:14

That Oak furniture place is back to back sales and consequently back to back irritating as fuck ads for their "sales"

BettyCrystal Sun 27-Mar-16 22:29:15

Barbara is right. I only buy in sales. And I don't need the stuff. I'm also a sucker for charity shops & TK Maxx.
I'd love to change my shopping habits to paying full price for that one item I really want / need / love.
But with shops having flash sales so often, I always think full price isn't worth it. And it isn't really...

maggiethemagpie Tue 29-Mar-16 21:33:50

I find it bloody annoying when shops do this all the time... I refuse to buy full price (inflated price) so have to wait for the sales (real price). Everything is soooo expensive at full price cos they know you're just waiting for the sales.

I wonder what % of stuff in HOF or Debenhams is sold at full price at what % in the sales, I can't be the only one who refuses to pay the full price.

Those sales get me every time though

comfortblankie Tue 29-Mar-16 23:50:39

I've never paid full price in HOF now that I think of it. The odd thing from Mango that wasn't on sale still gave a student discount (bless my PT cert).

DP and I have defined madness as going to pizza express without a coupon code!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now