Talk

Advanced search

to not have time for "tummy time"?

(98 Posts)
andiflondonburns Sat 26-Mar-16 12:31:07

my daughter is 3.5 months

i don't have time to do tummy time (single parent + other things) and the times i've done it the past i don't feel comfortable when i've done it, i know you pick them up when they start to show signs that they're not happy and sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind and all that but there's nothing else developmentally where i have to watch her struggle

is it really necessary? I'm quite happy for her to crawl later than she would have done with tummy time.....will she miss out with brain development?

surely she will do it herself when she's ready, once she's worked out how to get on her front? She can almost get herself on her side already.
thanks for any constructive advice/support!

LIZS Sat 26-Mar-16 12:33:28

It probably won't make much difference longer term, can she roll yet? However if you have time to lie her on a mat rather than in a pushchair or bouncy chair it could be either on back or tummy.

dementedma Sat 26-Mar-16 12:34:56

What the hell is tummy time? I'm old and have raised three dcs without knowing about this? Are they deprived?

meditrina Sat 26-Mar-16 12:36:50

All it means is that you sometimes put your baby down on their front (when they are wide awake and someone is nearby) so they see the world from a different angle and have a go at moving themselves from that start point.

scarednoob Sat 26-Mar-16 12:38:11

I didn't really bother, I must admit. She hated it and I found it stressful. DD is 6 months now and can roll onto her front and hold herself up doing mini press-ups for ages with v little help from me!

Allnamesaretakenffs Sat 26-Mar-16 12:39:55

Tummy time can also be time spent on your chest (in a sling, to leave hands free to do housework etc), maybe that would work?

Pufflehuff Sat 26-Mar-16 12:40:25

Tummy time is letting babies have some time lying on their front so they lift their heads a bit and strengthen their neck muscles.

Um, so 1) How do you 'not have time' to put the baby on the floor for a whole minute, maybe with a toy or two to look at? Isn't this kind of... what you do with babies? Yes, we're all busy but what on earth do your days look like that you don't have a single minute to play with the baby? Unless you're working in a rice field with her strapped to your back for 14 hours... you have time.

2) It's not supposed to be uncomfortable. Sure, if the baby doesn't like it, stop. Mine enjoyed it. They looked at stuff and gurgled and kicked in a sort of attempt at crawling. So I guess I never gave much thought as to whether I'd do it or not. Besides, it's not good for their skulls to be permanently lying on their backs, pushchairs or seats. Tummy time, and being held, gives the skull a rest and the neck a workout.

It's not supposed to be a big deal. Just one of those things to incorporate into general baby stuff. If she's rolling and 'almost' on her side, then she's doing fine, and you clearly do sit down with her and do some playing.

crispiecrunchie Sat 26-Mar-16 12:40:51

So long as baby isn't flat on it's back all the time I'm sure its fine. YABU unreasonable to say you have time to put put baby on its tummy for five minutes 3/4 times day though.

dementedma Sat 26-Mar-16 12:41:28

OK. I'll file it with baby wearing, co-sleeping and baby led weaning as a stupid name for normal rasing your baby stuff.

crispiecrunchie Sat 26-Mar-16 12:42:29

Sorry to say you don't have time. Agree with puffle

seasideview Sat 26-Mar-16 12:43:48

Eh?

I have 2 kids and I've never hear of tummy time??!!

They both turned out just fine. Both highly academic, well rounded individuals and studying at Uni.

confused

LaurieLemons Sat 26-Mar-16 12:44:14

How do you not have time, just put her down? Or am I missing something? grin My DS HATED and I mean hated tummy time now he is 9 months and crawling around just fine so don't worry she's not missing much.

OwlinaTree Sat 26-Mar-16 12:45:07

I used to put him on his tummy after I changed his nappy. He didn't really like it so only lasted a couple of minutes. Doing it after the nappy meant I remembered to do it!

DaphneWhitethigh Sat 26-Mar-16 12:49:21

It's only been a thing since Back To Sleep took over. Obviously that reduced SIDS and was totally worthwhilebut it did result in some flat heads and slightly delayed physical development - "tummy time" is meant to counteract that but it's hardly life or death either way.

outputgap Sat 26-Mar-16 12:52:22

I couldn't do it much with one of mine as his terrible eczema meant he scratched himself insane when on his front. I read advice saying 'have you ever seen an adult who can't hold their head on their neck due to insufficient tummy time?'. smile I found it very consoling.

nocoffeenouppee Sat 26-Mar-16 12:53:34

My ds hated tummy time (immediate screaming) so I stopped doing it. He commando crawled at 6 months, crawled at 8 months and walked at 10 months. He doesn't have a developmental delay. Nor was his head misshapen. I think it's the health visitor equivalent of occupying children with paint on rainy days. If they have a series of boxes to tick they're less likely to have time to give 'advice'

starry0ne Sat 26-Mar-16 12:54:57

Your baby will develop fine without it..Although my I don't have time I have to really question...What are you going to do when she is rolling , crawling, toddling...At the minute she isn't moving much but soon you will need to watch her like a hawk.

Plateofcrumbs Sat 26-Mar-16 12:55:02

Yes it is only a recent invention, older children who would likely have slept on tummies at an earlier age never needed tummy time.

Mine hated tummy time too, so only ever did short stints. He was quite a late roller/crawler, who can say if that is related. Although since he could roll he hates lying on his back for any reason, and only sleeps on his front.

Strokethefurrywall Sat 26-Mar-16 13:10:55

Nope didn't do it with either of mine. They're now 4 and 2 and can both hold their heads up perfectly! grin

But then I put DS2 to sleep on his front too so that did the same thing.

AugustaFinkNottle Sat 26-Mar-16 13:17:29

I never did it with any of mine (three children). They all learnt to crawl and walk just fine.

RudeElf Sat 26-Mar-16 13:17:40

How can you not have time? confused a minute here and there. It takes the same time as if she were lying on her back.

QueenOfToast Sat 26-Mar-16 13:19:38

Definitely don't worry about this. The fact that you're even thinking about it shows that you're doing a brilliant job of considering your DD's needs and development.

FWIW DS1 is now 14 and I remember being fairly smug tbublush with him as a baby because he was so "good" at being on his tummy and pushing himself up. Despite these early signs of skill and strength, he does not play in any A team sports and cannot touch his toes shock. In fact he generally moans about doing anything that involves putting his iPad down grin.

Have a lovely Easter and enjoy the early days with your DD.

sr123 Sat 26-Mar-16 13:25:38

Tummy time develops core strength and ds who has poor core strength does tummy time as part of his ot programme to develop it. Average children who don't spend time on their tummies are just more likely to develop some motor skills slightly later.

AntiHop Sat 26-Mar-16 13:26:42

Tummy time reduces the risk of flat head syndrome. In my opinion that's the biggest problem with not doing tummy time. Carrying a baby in a sling or baby carrier also reduces the risk of flat head syndrome.

educatingarti Sat 26-Mar-16 13:32:57

It isn't just about strengthening neck muscles though. Pushing up on arms develops core and shoulder strength, which is required for many things later on, including handwriting. If the child crawls for a reasonable amount of time then it isn't so bad but for those who only crawl briefly or who bottom shuffle before walking, it could caused problems later. Tummy time is recommended for a reason, not just to make life more difficult for parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now