AIBU To want to inject some colour into a barn conversion?

(29 Posts)
MissMellowMellons Sat 26-Mar-16 12:22:47

We are just in the process of completing a barn conversion. It isn't overloaded with beams and we don't have any double height rooms.

I would like to add some colour by way of coloured paint on walls or a wallpapered featured wall in some rooms.

On googling I see the majority of barn owners generally keep to cream walls and white ceilings. I would like add pale gold or warm terracotta paint to the walls and perhaps have the odd wall wallpapered.

Floors are wooden or Indian stone.

We don't want to spoil the feel of the barn. Does anyone have any ideas/thoughts please? Thank you in advance

MattDillonsPants Sat 26-Mar-16 12:24:58

I wouldn't. I'd add colour with prints and textiles.

Ifailed Sat 26-Mar-16 12:26:56

it's your barn, do what you want - how could you possibly consider it to be unreasonable?

BitchyComment Sat 26-Mar-16 12:29:57

Why don't you try and see how it looks. It's only paint. I think golds and terra cottas could look lovely.

OliviaBenson Sat 26-Mar-16 12:30:40

I'm not sure wallpaper would go with a barn conversion. I think you could get away with some colour, although terracotta wouldn't be my choice at all, especially with that flooring.

I think you could really add too it with nice furnishings, rugs, curtains etc.

But at the end of the day, do what makes you happy.

OliviaBenson Sat 26-Mar-16 12:31:25

Pale greens, greys and blues could work?

DerelictDaughter Sat 26-Mar-16 12:33:11

LOL - is this really an AIBU? grin

HazyMazy Sat 26-Mar-16 12:34:11

Paint samples are the answer, you will get a feel for a colour if you paint blobs on the wall. There are loads of shades of white now too.

Did you watch the Great Interior Design Challenge on tv - some v bright colours used there.

PrimalLass Sat 26-Mar-16 12:41:07

LOL - is this really an AIBU?

Nope. Stealth boast grin

MissMellowMellons Sat 26-Mar-16 12:43:13

Thank you for the response ladies.

I'm puzzled by Derelict's response though, tad rude in my opinion. This is just a lighthearted thread posted to get people's genuine responses to something I'm struggling with. First I'm certain I want to buck the trend then I'm not so certain iyswim.

Paint pot samples here I come 👍

BitchyComment Sat 26-Mar-16 12:48:32

Lol, it's not like the thread title is confusing. I love a nice light AIBU.

I forgot to add YANBU to my earlier comment. grin

OurBlanche Sat 26-Mar-16 12:52:13

Before you start with the paint pots...

Buy a roll of lining paper. Paint metre lengths of it with the samples and stick them on the walls. Then you can move them around and see what the all of the possible colours look like in bright spots and shaded corners.

Sending about £5 on the paper saves a lot of messing around smile

MissMellowMellons Sat 26-Mar-16 13:13:40

What a good idea OurBlanche, thank you!

HazyMazy Sat 26-Mar-16 13:14:48

Yes, what a great idea! Thanks for that.

MissMellowMellons Sat 26-Mar-16 13:15:06

Thanks Bitchy' smile. I feel some people just like to be goady sp

howabout Sat 26-Mar-16 13:20:44

You are a ray of sunshine and a total relief from all the tax and benefits and playground politics angst.

YANBU and I think golds would be lovely in a barn.

We live in a church conversion complete with exposed stonework and stained glass.

We have some feature solid block colour paint panels in purple and they are very effective.

We don't have wallpaper but it would be nice in the bedrooms which are more like a "normal" house but would fight with the features in the public rooms.

MatildaTheCat Sat 26-Mar-16 13:29:07

If you like that sort of thing a wall of William Morris wallpaper could look stunning. I'm more in favour of soft greys and greens myself for a colour scheme but it would be very unreasonable to force that upon you. grin

Look to the V&A cafe for inspiration on this look though I accept the scale may be rather different. Adding some contemporary lighting would also be gorgeous.

MissMellowMellons Sat 26-Mar-16 13:29:38

Thank you howabout.

I think you are right.

The papers I've been looking at are quite subtle but to be honest the only one I'm really sure about is an impressionist tree design in muted greigh like colours. This would be for the bed head wall in main bedroom. Floor oak, bed brown leather sleigh, furniture also oak and chrome.

PestilentialCat Sat 26-Mar-16 13:30:36

I think coloured walls would be fine, as long as they're not too dark. Not wallpaper though. Definitely not.

MissMellowMellons Sat 26-Mar-16 13:31:19

Matilda any particular paper of the William Morris collection?

I will have a Google and thanks for your suggestion.

MissMellowMellons Sat 26-Mar-16 13:45:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MissMellowMellons Sat 26-Mar-16 13:48:10

The tree design for feature walls in dining room and hall.

The impressionist for the head wall in main bedroom.

The cow parsley for main wall in a second bedroom.

MissMellowMellons Sat 26-Mar-16 13:50:22

Yes 'Cat, people I have spoken to are either yes why not or like yourself, in the definitely not corner.

Is there any particular reason for your opinion? I'm genuinely interested.

fabulousathome Sat 26-Mar-16 14:47:25

Have whatever you like. The tree paper is particularly lovely.

PestilentialCat Sat 26-Mar-16 16:25:03

Mainly because I personally don't much like wallpaper & prefer plain walls with pictures. Occasionally I see paper that I like & in fact the samples above I do actually like!

Having said that, I view barn conversions as "cottagey" rather than "modern" in style, even though I know they're often full of modern features & for me that means plain walls. No necessarily white or off white, but definitely plain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now