Talk

Advanced search

This...this right here drives me nuts.

(104 Posts)
VocationalGoat Sat 26-Mar-16 12:00:30

Why would anyone put the beans back in the fridge... like this?
They end up tasting of lead poisoning.
No matter how many times I ask DH to transfer them to a more appropriate container, I am greeted with not one, but several of these inside the fridge.

hesterton Sat 26-Mar-16 12:01:07

Kill him.

SlimCheesy Sat 26-Mar-16 12:02:37

I agree and can raise you.... no matter how many times I ask or insist, DH does exactly this with cat food tins. So they merrily stink the entire fridge out, AND go crusty on the top.

That drives me bananas.

mummymeister Sat 26-Mar-16 12:02:57

Hide the tin opener under lock and key. it can only be used if it is signed for and photos taken of the resulting contents in a proper bowl with lid or cling film on it. this is not a democracy, its a dictatorship.

does this happen with tuna as well? result is the contents go dry.

Birdsgottafly Sat 26-Mar-16 12:03:09

I used to do that, but now I leave the lid off, but I'm the only person bothered by what's in the fridge, though.

InsufficientlyCaffeinated Sat 26-Mar-16 12:06:51

Mummy the flaw in your otherwise excellent plan is that it's a ring pull...

If you do most of the shopping, stop buying them until he learns his lesson! Or you can get the individual portion tins but it works out more expensive.

Minisoksmakehardwork Sat 26-Mar-16 12:09:01

Buy another brand, without a ring pull! But yanbu. Thankfully in our house nothing canned serves enough to be saved.

ijustwannadance Sat 26-Mar-16 12:09:04

This is my first ever LTB

VocationalGoat Sat 26-Mar-16 12:11:18

hesterton I try...oh I try...every 28-32 days, I do attempt to kill him for this and other 'things'.

As you can see from the tin's label, we buy our beans in multi-pack, hence the problem multiplies. It's unmanageable. It's a mushroom cloud.

birdsgottafly you're on my hit list.

mummymeister Sat 26-Mar-16 12:11:46

take the rings off - twisting them does it. then hide the tin opener......

however small the tin, someone always manages to leave a little tiny bit unused.

this ranks along with "not wrapping the cheese back up" or filling a too small bowl with leftovers so that any slight movement in the fridge and it goes everywhere.

Abbbinob Sat 26-Mar-16 12:12:19

get the big fridge tub of beans they do

VocationalGoat Sat 26-Mar-16 12:20:18

Fridge tub! I am beginning to feel sheepishly stupid now for not thinking of that.

mummymeister he does worse than overfills a small bowl...he mashes the leftovers together and flatpacks them into ramekins. I've still got all my teeth. I can chew!

Abbbinob Sat 26-Mar-16 12:24:28

i've got a dp who doesn't close the packet of ham in the fridge, so it goes all dry and gross, and doesn't fold over the bag in cereal boxes so they go stale. drives me mad.
I have to do a regular check of the ham and cereal blush

Trills Sat 26-Mar-16 12:34:05

I think we need a blind taste test here.

Open a tin of beans. Half goes into a plastic tub, half as in the picture above.

2 days later cook both, taste them.

I bet you can't tell which is which.

mummymeister Sat 26-Mar-16 12:37:25

stop being so reasonable trills grin

when did you let reason get in the way of a good rant.

they might taste the same, they might not. it just offends me to see dried up tuna in a tin, next to a whole tin with 4 beans in the bottom and the lid squashing down, whilst I am wiping up the stew gravy from the overfilled bowl which has somehow manage to drip the entire length of the fridge.

diddl Sat 26-Mar-16 12:41:23

I do that!

With tuna fish though-obvs the lid doesn't sink in.

Lead poisoning taste.

Hahahahaha!

If they are Ok in the tin with the lid on, why wouldn't they be with the lid off?

Just get a couple of plastic lids.

No need to tit about decanting!

worse thing going on with my fridge at the moment is, I have made something tasty and left half of it for the next day, in an appropriate lidded box. DS1 goes out drinking comes home in the middle of the night opens the fridge and just digs into my box of loveliness with a spoon, or his FINGERS, usually blobs are to be seen down the side of the fridge or floor to accompany the crushing disappointment of opening the box to see about a teaspoon left in there and knowing that the bugger has been at it. DRIVES ME STABBY angry

Wheresthattomoibabber Sat 26-Mar-16 12:42:25

I thought you weren't meant to leave tomato based stuff in tins as the inside of the can corrodes.

DH opens packets in the manner of a starving grizzly. And he folds the flour bag just once but doesn't make sure there is no flour in the folded bit so I get showered with it when I get the flour out.

I am guilty of keeping half a tin in the tin but I do use the lid off a pringles tube as a cover not the tin lid. blush

Topseyt Sat 26-Mar-16 12:42:46

I leave the unused half in the can and put it in the fridge. confused

I cover it with either foil or cling film and use it in the next couple of days. Never had a problem. Why is the can it came in not an appropriate container? Why dirty something else unnecessarily? I don't get that.

Angelika321 Sat 26-Mar-16 12:42:47

I have a family who does this, it gives me the rage.

I find cereal boxes left with the contents exposed, biscuits opened and left to go soggy, finger gouges in the butter, toast crumbs in the cream cheese and marg, bread and wraps left open. Even the freezer isn't safe. Packs are opened and left to dry out and get freezer burn.

But the worst offence was when I found a half eaten crunchy abandoned in the bread bin. When I asked why it was left like that, not even wrapped up I was told, 'I didn't want it all and I knew you would eat it so I left it'

Wheresthattomoibabber Sat 26-Mar-16 12:43:37

"If they are Ok in the tin with the lid on, why wouldn't they be with the lid off?"

Oxidisation.

TheWrathofNaan Sat 26-Mar-16 12:44:26

You used to be able to buy plastic lids for tins like this. Would that help?!

diddl Sat 26-Mar-16 12:44:46

"I thought you weren't meant to leave tomato based stuff in tins as the inside of the can corrodes."

Never heard of that.

Perhaps it depends how long you would be leaving it in the tin as to whether of not it's OK to do so?

diddl Sat 26-Mar-16 12:46:22

"Oxidisation."

So does that also mean that putting a plastic lid on is no good?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now