Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

To detest technology

(7 Posts)
Magicpaintbrush Sat 26-Mar-16 10:49:31

I can't be the only one who sometimes finds themselves sitting at their laptop almost in tears with frustration because something that used to work (and which you really need) suddenly doesn't work?????

Today it was the spontaneous installing of Windows 10 which started without my permission or consent whilst I was out of the room, which then led to my computer being completely unable to recognise my scanner. I'm an Illustrator and was suddenly unable to scan any of the illustrations I'd been busting a gut to finish by a deadline (working evenings and weekends as well as during the day), and suddenly my effing computer and scanner just wouldn't work together. If I can't scan then the client doesn't get their artwork and I don't get paid.

After hours of trying to figure out a solution they are finally working again (thank God!!!), but now I have a stress headache and have a face like a smacked arse.

Fecking technology. >:-( >:-(

I sympathise, I approach every software 'update' with real trepidation these days, I have one on my i pad begging me to install and I keep putting it off, for fear of what might change.

slightlyglitterbrained Sat 26-Mar-16 10:57:51

I work in tech, and I agree. As an industry, we are fucking appalling at just keeping stuff working.

I don't do Windows at all - but is there any setting you can use to make sure you get asked about updates?

Redderred Sat 26-Mar-16 12:21:28

It annoys me sooooo much when things update automatically.
My laptop decided to update itself one day. Only took 8 hours.

araiba Sat 26-Mar-16 12:23:53

send me a letter about your problems and i'll read it in a few days when it arrives

wanderings Sat 26-Mar-16 12:34:58

I loathe "updates" too. I don't like technology that tries to be too clever, especially if it promotes disposability, a scourge of modern times. Once upon a time you would buy devices that lasted many years.

BarbaraofSeville Sat 26-Mar-16 12:48:15

YANBU. why do they need so many fecking updates. Just. Leave. It. Alone.

I was most annoyed when getting a new laptop made my not that old and hardly used scanner obsolete because there was no driver for the scanner for the new windows version. I don't bother with a scanner anymore. I use an app on my phone.

I think most of the updates are simply to keep people in jobs and force consumers to keep buying new stuff even if there is nothing wrong with the old version.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now