Talk

Advanced search

Partners daughter

(75 Posts)
MCDL Fri 25-Mar-16 22:59:21

Hi. My partners daughter who is 24 has been living with us for the past 3 months after returning from a year n Vietnam and previous to that 4 years abroad studying returning only briefly for holidays. Her self entitlement and her expectations of my role within the household has me gob smacked. We have a 9 year old child her little sister who she has made little to no effort with. I wash her laundry, prepare and serve her all meals. She refuses to contribute anything to the household. My partner will not speak to her. Says I must suck it up. HELP. Any advice please.

RudeElf Fri 25-Mar-16 23:01:06

Well firstly stop doing her laundry and meals and secondly your partner needs to give his head a wobble! How dare he tell you to suck it up! angry why should you?

CaptainMarvelDanvers Fri 25-Mar-16 23:01:54

Go on strike for both him and his daughter.

LaurieFairyCake Fri 25-Mar-16 23:02:47

Well don't then. Why are people telling you what to do? Just stop.

Cook the food if you're cooking for everyone but don't do her laundry.

She's also quite unlikely to be interested in a 9 year old of she's not really seen her for 5 years

MillionToOneChances Fri 25-Mar-16 23:03:17

Why does he think you should wait on his daughter and suck it up? Are you expected to do the same for him?

Birthgeek Fri 25-Mar-16 23:03:31

The issue is with your partner. Does he pull his weight?

WorraLiberty Fri 25-Mar-16 23:04:18

She doesn't get to refuse to contribute to the household she's living in.

Your partner doesn't get to tell you, you must suck it up.

You need to stop doing things for her and if she has a problem with that, tell her to ask her Dad to do it all for her, then tell him to suck it up.

PinkSparklyPussyCat Fri 25-Mar-16 23:04:27

I agree with Captain, I wouldn't be doing anything for either of them.

Arfarfanarf Fri 25-Mar-16 23:07:06

Stop doing her laundry and waiting on her.
Your partner can do it if he wants to. Why should you be the maid? Tell him to suck it up!

Catvsworld Fri 25-Mar-16 23:08:43

She is a adult however when you move in with someone who has children you do have to expect that they may need or want to live with you at any given point in there life and with house prices the way they are one is lucky to be rid of a adult child by 30 these days

It is interesting you call her your partners daughter and not your step daughter if you have no real and close relationship with her I wonder why you would expect her to have one with her sister I have a 3 and 16 year old they are fond of rather other but have nothing in common and have more of a uncle and niece type relationship

Your main issue is that your step daughter is taking liberty is that coloured by the fact you don't have any real feeling for her because tbh your do more for your step daughter than I do for my 16 year old son

You doing these things expecting thanks and are clearly up set she treating you as a maid then stop acting as one

You are enabling her behaviour I don't was my sons cloths he's been doing his own washing since he was 10 and I only cook for my son if I am in and cooking for eveyone elese if I am not in he gets his own tea or eats pot noodle

Iliveinalighthousewiththeghost Fri 25-Mar-16 23:11:59

No you don't have to suck anything up in this life. She's 24. She's not 14. At that age my own mum was not doing laundry for me. Once I was of a certain age. I was big enough and ugly enough to see to myself.
I'm astounded how entitled some people can be. Is she some sort of Princess.
It wouldn't be so bad. If you were running around after her like a blue arsed fly, and she was grateful, but to not even get a , oh what's that word, (scatches head). Ah, that's it...Thank you
. I'm not surprised your peeved.

MCDL Fri 25-Mar-16 23:14:16

My thoughts exactly. No partner does not pull his weight but works. I also work part time . Daughter got a job last week n Dublin so the day after she got it. I asked her if she was to continue coming at weekends I expected she pull her weight and let us know when she was coming and if so was her boyfriend also coming . I have been serving him on occasion also. With that she packed up all her gear and headed off. Saying never to return or want to see me again. Partner and her aunt have given me such stick over it , it's quite hard to believe.

WorraLiberty Fri 25-Mar-16 23:17:09

No partner does not pull his weight but works

What does 'but works' have to do with anything?

I presume he still has to eat food, wear clean clothes and live in a tidy house even though he works?

Working for a living is something we expect most human beings to do. It doesn't mean they get to be waited on hand and foot for it.

MCDL Fri 25-Mar-16 23:19:09

Catvsworld. I wouldn't call her my step daughter as I suppose I saw her as an adult and an equal.

LogicalThinking Fri 25-Mar-16 23:20:56

Why are you doing her laundry and making all her meals?

MCDL Fri 25-Mar-16 23:21:02

Yes. I have been treated quite the doormat and am shocked that I was expected to do it by them both.

GooseberryRoolz Fri 25-Mar-16 23:22:22

I wash her laundry, prepare and serve her all meals. She refuses to contribute anything to the household

How did you get into that situation with a 24 year old?!

I don't prepare all meals for my 18 year old and I don't do the bulk of his laundry either, just a bit of ironing.

RudeElf Fri 25-Mar-16 23:23:08

I work two jobs. I still have to feed myself and wash my clothing! I am so sick of hearing about people who opt out of their own basic maintenance because they spend some hours collecting money in return for their presence elsewhere! Collecting a wage does mean you cease to feed and wash yourself! Those are all on you! Those needs will exist whether you are single or in a relationship. Your step daughter is spoiled and so is your partner. Stop spoiling them.

RudeElf Fri 25-Mar-16 23:24:57

am shocked that I was expected to do it by them both

But why did you do it? confused

GooseberryRoolz Fri 25-Mar-16 23:25:03

You can't be treated like a doormat unless you lie on the floor and let people step on you OP.

MCDL Fri 25-Mar-16 23:25:35

I suppose I was doing her laundry as was doing ours anyway. I was preparing meals for her also as I was doing it anyway and hadn't the heart not to include her. Her mother lives nearby . They haven't spoken for years . She has a drink problem.

GooseberryRoolz Fri 25-Mar-16 23:26:26

Give her a quick tutorial on the washing machine and let her get on with it.

RudeElf Fri 25-Mar-16 23:29:50

This is an adult who has been taking care of herself for the last 5 years. She cant possibly object to continuing to do that just because she shares a home with her parent again. Next time she is there (if she comes back to stay) make yourself busy for the day and say "X can you sort dinner for us tonight as i'm doing A,B and C. Thanks, see you later"

My DC are 10 and 6 and can both (under my supervision) throw a dinner together for us. I literally will say "DS can you do dinner, i'm doing X" and they just do it.

MCDL Fri 25-Mar-16 23:30:41

I did it but not anymore. I am shocked 24 year old expected it from me and worse partner expected it of me and refused to talk to her. It's left a huge strain that I am not easily getting over.

RudeElf Fri 25-Mar-16 23:32:03

Word of advice OP, start now on teaching your own child how to do all this stuff. Or by the sounds of it your partner will happily raise another spoilet brat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now