Talk

Advanced search

Expecting buyers to purchase without viewing/survey

(33 Posts)
hibbleddible Fri 25-Mar-16 21:57:59

Is this genuinely the amount of lunacy that the London property market has descended into, or are the estate agents delusional?

I just had a conversation to this effect with estate agents. I'm a bit flummoxed that anyone would take this much risk.

pippistrelle Fri 25-Mar-16 22:02:30

Well, I suppose people can take such risks if they're buying at auction, but otherwise, unless you're super-rich and can afford to be sanguine if it turns out to be a money-pit, then it's outlandish.

hibbleddible Fri 25-Mar-16 22:07:16

The property isnt being sold at auction, though even at auction there are viewing days.

Ameliablue Fri 25-Mar-16 22:07:22

Well they do if they are in Homes Under the Hammer but not otherwise.

pippistrelle Fri 25-Mar-16 22:11:09

HUTH is my only source on such matters, Amelia grin

hibbleddible Fri 25-Mar-16 22:14:26

Lol pippi !

Amelia they do in fact offer viewing days for all auctioned properties, which are public information on the auctioneers websites.

Ameliablue Fri 25-Mar-16 22:28:10

Yes but the buyers on HUTH normally say they never viewed the property or checked it out beforehand as they are shown round a wreck.

hibbleddible Fri 25-Mar-16 22:31:22

Fair enough, I haven't watched it for a long time.

Still boggled why anyone would take so much risk.

TheHiphopopotamus Fri 25-Mar-16 22:34:07

The (cash) buyers of our last house didn't have a survey done. They did view it though.

TheHiphopopotamus Fri 25-Mar-16 22:34:29

Oh and we live up north.

EssentialHummus Fri 25-Mar-16 22:37:41

I imagine foreign, speculative buyers might do this. I did get to a point in my search for a (BTL) property in Kent where I felt there was no point in bloody driving down there and attending viewings since all the houses seemed identical. But I was never daft enough to buy on that basis!

CornishDoll82 Fri 25-Mar-16 22:41:42

Maybe if you're a multi millionaire buying investment properties. Not if you want a home.

eastwest Fri 25-Mar-16 22:45:38

If an estate agent was pushing me to buy with no viewing and no survey, I would walk away very fast...

RumbleMum Fri 25-Mar-16 22:54:42

That's madness. I've known people who bought without a survey (and bitterly regretted it) but I don't think I've ever known anyone who bought a place with less than two viewings.

As a massive aside, TheHiphopopotamus you have one of the best usernames I've seen. I wonder if Rhymnoceros is taken ....

AmIbeingaBitch Fri 25-Mar-16 22:55:10

I bought our house this way, as the vendors were never available for any viewings. The location, and first impression, sold it to me.

Catvsworld Fri 25-Mar-16 22:57:08

When we were buying

By the time we had viewed and got home the houses had been sold so I can understand tbh if we had a bit more time I may of have not brought this house but we didn't have much choice the houses were selling with in one view sometimes being take off the market with out being even viewed

Catvsworld Fri 25-Mar-16 22:59:36

The property market in London and around London is crazy

My sister in law lived in wilbeldon and had a hole in her roof she was told not to borther to fix it it sold with in 2 days of being the in market sealed bids one group viewing with full discloure of the roof with no discount for the said roof

TheHiphopopotamus Fri 25-Mar-16 23:08:45

As a massive aside, TheHiphopopotamus you have one of the best usernames I've seen. I wonder if Rhymnoceros is taken

grin Hurrah! Then we could have a rap battle...

RumbleMum Fri 25-Mar-16 23:15:52

Catvsworld Out of interest, when was that? We sold our place in London seven years ago and the market wasn't at all that crazy (though I guess it depends on the area you're in). Great if you're a seller!

TheHiphopopotamus My rhymes are bottomless ... grin OK, stopping now. wink

Madhouse05 Fri 25-Mar-16 23:39:38

People who bought our last house looked round for 10mins max, sent a 'friend' round to survey (less than 10mins - no mortgage required) and paid asking - yep, London can be that crazy....though was a couple of years ago - the market is apparently shed loads slower now so unless it's a totally obvious bargain I'd be suspect!

RockUnit Sat 26-Mar-16 00:20:31

I'd insist on a viewing and survey.

Alasalas2 Sat 26-Mar-16 00:51:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

RobinHumphries Sat 26-Mar-16 03:55:36

Google Ridgemont house Torquay. It's a horror story about a house sold by auction without the buyer viewing it.

hibbleddible Sat 26-Mar-16 16:28:29

All interesting points.

I read about the house in Torquay, it was pretty horrific, but definitely a lesson to be learned.

I know this property was previously on the market, taken off, and then the buyer pulled out. The agents won't say the particulars of this other than a mention of 'issues' with the property.

madhouse the market has sped up a lot since 2 hears ago, due in part to the new stamp duty which will be introduced soon. It will be interesting to see what happens after the 1 St April, and whether this property will still be on the market.

carabos Sat 26-Mar-16 16:38:44

My DM has bought at least two houses to my knowledge without setting foot in them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now