Talk

Advanced search

to think this paint should not have to have its name changed

(69 Posts)
Ohbehave1 Fri 25-Mar-16 12:23:44

Just seen this. I know it's the Daily Fail but I thought this was worth a look.

Of course rape is a terrible thing to happen to anyone but a colour named after a plant is so obviously not meant to have any relevance to the act.

I grew up seeing field after field of yellow so perhaps I am not seeing this in the same way as some, but the English language is full of double meaning words.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3509124/Aldi-forced-change-paint-labelled-rape-yellow-complaints-sex-assault-victim.html

ItsAllGoingToBeFine Fri 25-Mar-16 12:27:05

YANBU, however I get some folk may genuinely not realise that rape is a pretty yellow flower.

OneLove10 Fri 25-Mar-16 12:28:45

Yabu, whilst a few may know it's a flower do you genuinely think the word might be inoffensive to many, many people. It's just one of those things to best not go there.

BertrandRussell Fri 25-Mar-16 12:29:56

Oh, don't be silly- it's a ridiculous name for a tin of paint. Do people not think at all before they do things?

I have never been sexually assaulted, but I would have complained about it. Because it's silly and tasteless. Presumably accidentally, but silly and tasteless none the less.

WhereYouLeftIt Fri 25-Mar-16 12:31:12

I disagree. There are plenty of pretty yellow flowers they could have chosen to name it after. The mind boggles on how they picked this one.

sleepyhead Fri 25-Mar-16 12:32:03

YABU. There are hundreds of bright yellow objects that the paint could be named after. Absolutely no need to choose the one that is synonymous with a serious sexual attack.

BillSykesDog Fri 25-Mar-16 12:32:23

YANBU, it's pretty pathetic. Although I'm assuming that some people will be starting a campaign to have the crop and associated products renamed as 'consensual intercourse oil' etc.

Birdsgottafly Fri 25-Mar-16 12:32:27

It's Offical listing is Rapeseed Uellow, it's a case of laziness as to why the tin says something else.

I live in an area were the teen lads have no respect and this would subject the people around them to subsequent rape jokes.

I hear the same in Tesco's around the 'Cock' seasoning, but I don't think Coke jokes are the same as Rape jokes.

It's easy to correct and if it stops any unpleasantness or someone being upset, I don't see why it shouldn't be changed.

As do Aldi, thankfully.

BertrandRussell Fri 25-Mar-16 12:33:02

Apart from anything else, do you want to be waiting in the checkout queue with your toddler sounding out "ruh ah pe........"

sleepyhead Fri 25-Mar-16 12:33:05

Dandelion yellow. Same colour. Job done.

BertrandRussell Fri 25-Mar-16 12:34:36

"YANBU, it's pretty pathetic. Although I'm assuming that some people will be starting a campaign to have the crop and associated products renamed as 'consensual intercourse oil' etc."

Laugh? I thought I'd never start.............

Birdsgottafly Fri 25-Mar-16 12:35:02

However, it was the usual 'forced' in the title that made it bigger than it had to be.

Yesterday was the outrage that packs of chocolate eggs had Egg Hunt on, without the Easter, all because of these bloody Muslims, of course.

Such is life in Faily Mail land.

Pivoine Fri 25-Mar-16 12:38:41

Maybe it's just me (I hope not) but I always felt it kind of jarring even to see fields of 'rape'. First time I heard the word I thought it odd.

Why is it called that anyway?

MTPurse Fri 25-Mar-16 12:45:09

Yanbu. I live in Lincolnshire and I honestly think no one round here would bat an eye at that.

BertrandRussell Fri 25-Mar-16 12:49:50

Well, I live in Kent, and I would hate it.

Cabawill Fri 25-Mar-16 12:50:13

YANBU. I am constantly hmm at the things people get outraged about.

antiqueroadhoe Fri 25-Mar-16 12:50:36

I absolutely hate the smell of those flowers
<misses point>

BertrandRussell Fri 25-Mar-16 12:54:05

"YANBU. I am constantly hmm at the things people get outraged about."

Yes, the Daily 'Mail is pathetic, isn't it?grin

Me? I'm obviously not outraged- that would be daft. I just think it's thoughtless and silly and easily changed, so change it.

peggyundercrackers Fri 25-Mar-16 12:54:21

Why is it called that anyway?

it derives its name from latin name for turnip.

ExitPursuedByABear Fri 25-Mar-16 12:55:42

YANBU but I jeffing hate rapeseed.

NoOneIsInterested Fri 25-Mar-16 13:03:41

I feel like I can't catch my breath when I walk through rape fields. It's like the air is heavy.

I wouldn't have noticed the name of the paint colour. I can't see how the words could ever be used in a way that could be confused.

BertrandRussell Fri 25-Mar-16 13:06:27

OK.

Give me 3 good reasons why this paint should be called Rape Yellow. Rather than', say, Dandelion Yellow. Or Buttercup Yellow. Or Sunshine Yellow. Or, if you like, Symphony Yellow, or Yellow Dreams.

antiqueroadhoe Fri 25-Mar-16 13:07:14

Or catarrh.

WorraLiberty Fri 25-Mar-16 13:07:18

They could just as easily have called it 'Buttercup Yellow'.

BoneyBackJefferson Fri 25-Mar-16 13:11:50

Dandelion yellow, buttercup, yellow and sunshine yellow are already paint names.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now