Talk

Advanced search

to wonder what I'm supposed to do with the pile of fencing blocking my driveway?

(20 Posts)
MysteryDelivery Thu 24-Mar-16 20:02:24

I returned home from work today to find someone had left a pile of brand new fencing, concrete posts and bottom boards on my drive. None of the immediate neighbours know anything about it and there's no delivery note to be seen so I don't know where it has come from. Annoyingly I now can't get my car on my drive. AIBU to wonder what I'm supposed to do now? Any ideas?

araiba Thu 24-Mar-16 20:04:22

build a fence?

RudeElf Thu 24-Mar-16 20:05:51

Oh, they clearly want you to have it. Have a bonfire? Build some decking? Treehouse?

SquinkiesRule Thu 24-Mar-16 20:06:50

Move it round the back piece by piece and either use it or sell it.
I'd more than likely call the usual local places that deliver this stuff, we have two main places by us. See if they delivered to the wrong house/street.

londonrach Thu 24-Mar-16 20:06:53

Sell on local site, build a fence?

Wheresthattomoibabber Thu 24-Mar-16 20:07:52

Put fence in back garden. Deny all knowledge. Free fence. Or give to me and I'll make a nice fence to replace my bastard hedge.

iyamehooru Thu 24-Mar-16 20:20:33

I'd Google your address in other local areas, probably been delivered to you in error and someone with similar house name or address isn't going to be fence building this weekend!

personoftheinternet Thu 24-Mar-16 20:29:17

Any similar addresses or house numbers nearby?
I once had a delivery of mine (a shed) end up left in the garden of a house further up the street. I was Flat 2, 2 and they delivered to house number 22.

TheWitTank Thu 24-Mar-16 20:30:09

Oh dear, looks like someone has made a big mistake! I wouldn't be surprised if you get a knock on the door tomorrow or in the next few days from a sheepish timber company who have had a pissed off customer on the phone. Fencing isn't cheap and they won't have delivered without being paid!

MysteryDelivery Thu 24-Mar-16 20:37:46

Just did a quick google of my street name in the local area and there isn't another one, however there is one with the same name but different ending - so for example Green Street instead of Green Road. But that's right at the other side of town in a totally different area, I don't know how anyone would confuse the two. Surely I'm not going to have to go door knocking on that street to see if anyone is waiting for a fence? The fence is far too heavy for me to move alone so it's going to have to stay where it is for now until I can figure out who I'm going to get to help me move it or someone comes back for it. How bizarre that they'd just dump in on someone's drive without making sure it's the right address! Hopefully no one comes back for it and I can replace my tired fence, though I'd be worried I'd get into trouble for keeping it. Though if I don't know where to return it to, what else can I do?

lertgush Thu 24-Mar-16 21:05:54

I think you have to wait. Someone didn't get their fencing delivered, and they will eventually call the company to find out where it went, then the company will say 'Oh we delivered it to [youraddress]' and then they can come and move it.

And if they don't move it then enjoy your new fence.

Clockstooticky Thu 24-Mar-16 22:32:00

This is so odd! Why would they just dump it on the drive anyway? Even if it was for you??

Jelliebabe1 Thu 24-Mar-16 22:42:34

I need a new fence can I have it?

KathySelden Thu 24-Mar-16 22:46:28

Check along the top of the fence, a lot of company's put a small tag with their name on it, if not likely b and q or home base.

NeedsAsockamnesty Fri 25-Mar-16 00:55:11

Is it not theft by finding to keep it?

MysteryDelivery Fri 25-Mar-16 03:14:46

How can I be committing theft when I don't know who to return it to? If someone comes to collect it, fine but if there is no way of me knowing where it came from, how can I be stealing something that someone has left on my property??

thewookieswife Fri 25-Mar-16 04:13:49

I've had loads of my stuff delivered to another persons house with a similar name - we now have swapped phone numbers ! They've had my 10' really heavy new garden table, a full tank of heating oil, various parcels and letters !! Crazy in this day and age but it happens !! The good news is it's fixable ! Just go to corresponding house number on their street and give them a knock ! That's if you have the time . I would imagine that the error will be found by the company in a day or two, when the client kicks off ! I'd hope they will compensate you for your lack of driveway !

purplebaglady Fri 25-Mar-16 20:26:44

I'm sure I was told by someone in the distant past that if it's stored and not claimed by the company within 12 weeks then it's legally yours. My original discussion was over a wrongly delivered crate of wine (not mine) that was unclaimed 30 weeks on....

MysteryDelivery Fri 25-Mar-16 23:44:10

Mystery solved! It was meant for a neighbour down the way who knocked on this morning and was very apologetic that it had been sent to our house by mistake. Fence moved swiftly and I went on with my day. So near to getting a new fence on the back garden but so far away! smile Thank you to those who took the time to respond, sorry it wasn't a more interesting outcome!

TheMaddHugger Sat 26-Mar-16 07:04:00

I, for one, am happy with non drama updates smile Good Update

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now