Talk

Advanced search

To be upset about DS first haircut

(12 Posts)
cosmickitten Thu 24-Mar-16 15:32:05

Not a huge issue in the grand scheme of things, but I'm really upset. Took my son for his first haircut. Explained to the barber we didn't want anything off the top. My husband was just saying 'a trim' on the bottom as the barber started using clippers!!!

My son now has really short hair in style of a much older boy. It doesn't suit his toddler features at all. It looks really, really awful and I want cry everytime I look at it. Feel a bit shallow and silly as I know it'll grow. But he has such fine hair and it grows very slowly I'm a worried it'll take ages to look nice again :-(

OurBlanche Thu 24-Mar-16 15:34:31

What did you say to the barber?

I bet you were really British and said Thank You smile

It will grow back, don't cry. Just think bad thoughts at the barber - maybe they will spill over onto facebook smile

Birthgeek Thu 24-Mar-16 15:35:45

Stupid barber... why didn't you stop them? Too late? YANBU.

Champagneformyrealfriends Thu 24-Mar-16 15:35:59

It'll grow-it's just hair. YANBU for being upset though IMO.

BarbarianMum Thu 24-Mar-16 15:37:02

Top tip: barbers attack all small boys with clippers. Try taking him to your hairdressers for a trim til he's older.

SpunBodgeSquarepants Thu 24-Mar-16 15:41:22

My two year old DS still hasn't had a proper haircut for this reason. He has lovely hair and I've just been trimming his fringe and the back in kind of layers until he really really needs a professional cut.

Twixthecat Thu 24-Mar-16 15:41:45

Aaaw I remember telling the hairdresser (a dedicated childrens hairdresser) that I only wanted a tiny amount off, but at the end it looked like she'd take loads off and looked really short. I was really emotional. But it wasn't actually that short really, it was just emotional taking him for his first haircut - yes it did make him look loads older, but I got used to it and it grew back!

cosmickitten Thu 24-Mar-16 15:41:51

Birthgeek he'd shaved a huge patch off in spilt second so it was too late. I should f complained but it wouldn't really have changed the outcome by that point :-(

I feel guilty for not making sure it was better.

SpunBodgeSquarepants Thu 24-Mar-16 15:42:09

(He's got a mild case of bed hair here but you get the idea)

cosmickitten Thu 24-Mar-16 15:46:25

Barbarian his not going to a babers again for a long long time! He has pretty a grade 2 back sides sob! Spun yours sons hair is lovely.

oldlaundbooth Thu 24-Mar-16 15:50:27

For his first haircut my DH gave my DS a number 1.

Yes, dear reader, a number 1.

It grew back. He now has golden curls which I am never cutting ever.

CombineBananaFister Thu 24-Mar-16 15:55:50

YANBU - its one of those bizarre things as a rational normal human being you would think it should not matter (aside from the shoddy customer service) but its ridiculously awful when they have a terrible haircut.
I think its because we know every inch of their little bodies and head and when they get that haircut that isn't 'them', its not in-keeping with their little character.
Obviously your DS will not give a shiny shit and nor will you in a couple of weeks but i'e been their and feel your irrational heartache grin ladies salon next time!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now