Talk

Advanced search

got an Interview -they want to see my passport+NI+proof of address?

(27 Posts)
Madbythesea Wed 23-Mar-16 20:04:17

After many months of looking for a job I've finally got an interview! yeah!

but they want me to bring my passport, NI number and proof of address?

It's a contract job so its going through a recruitment agency and would be going through an umbrella company. (its an insurance company if that helps)

I'm happy to show these documents once I've been offered a job but I feel uncomfortable at the interview stage.

please tell me I'm paranoid and this is normal?
I've moved and this is for a new job here. I really want the job .
please tell me this is ok and normal, its a one stage interview which would be great. but.....

vulgarbunting Wed 23-Mar-16 20:04:54

100% normal.

Absolutely normal. It's to confirm your right to work in the uk.

Stoodonlegoagain Wed 23-Mar-16 20:06:01

I had to do this at an interview at a bank job.

It was so they had details to do a CRB.

cheminotte Wed 23-Mar-16 20:06:11

Yes normal. They have to check you have the right to work in the UK.

FourEyesGood Wed 23-Mar-16 20:06:18

It's completely normal.

Groovee Wed 23-Mar-16 20:06:37

They normally check at the interview stage for these things to check you have the right to work in the UK. Saves a lot of time if someone isn't eligible. They often take everything for PVG in my line of work to get the ball rolling right away.

ruddynorah Wed 23-Mar-16 20:06:54

Normal. They'd be wasting their time to interviewing you if you aren't eligible to work and can't prove who you are.

monkey2014 Wed 23-Mar-16 20:06:55

Normal. They are checking you have the right to work in the UK before they offer the job as if you don't it would be a waste of time.

Bailey101 Wed 23-Mar-16 20:07:02

Normal, especially for a recruitment agency. I've always had to show that sort of id at the initial meeting, long before any jobs are even discussed.

GnomeDePlume Wed 23-Mar-16 20:07:18

Yup 100% normal.

I think that the recruiter is required to provide proof that the employee has the right to work. Easier to do this at an early stage rather than find the perfect candidate only to discover they have no right to work.

TaliZorahVasNormandy Wed 23-Mar-16 20:07:34

Yep, pretty standard.

GnomeDePlume Wed 23-Mar-16 20:07:39

x posted!

Akire Wed 23-Mar-16 20:08:36

Yes employers can be prosecuted and fined thousands if employ someone without right visa or right to work in UK. Though quite how joe blogs can tell a real one from fake I don't know!

londonrach Wed 23-Mar-16 20:09:09

Normal. Gets shredded if you dont get offered the job.

Madbythesea Wed 23-Mar-16 20:12:37

its not the recruiter that asked its the company I am interviewing for.

Recruiter happy has contacted my umbrella company they have verified my details.

as a contractor I've never been asked for these documents from the company I would be working for as everyone else has checked them?

Birdsgottafly Wed 23-Mar-16 20:14:56

Was that in insurance?

Individual companies should be checking, so if it was within the last year, the companies have taken a huge risk.

HidingFromDD Wed 23-Mar-16 20:22:53

100% normal and surprised you've not been asked before if you've worked for any fca regulated companies

Madbythesea Wed 23-Mar-16 20:24:04

Birdsgotafly no not insurance but in Banking and Financial Services. I've always supplied all documents after offer but before starting but not at an interview.

maybe its a good thing. as its a one shot interview maybe they love my CV and linkedin profile grin

NotMeNotYouNotAnyone Wed 23-Mar-16 20:32:32

What's the big deal? You'd have to show them anyway if you got the job (even though the agency has seen them this is pretty standard) insurance companies like all financial sector are heavily regulated and will have access to thousands upon thousands of customers details probably far more comprehensive than they're asking you for, what exactly are you concerned about?

Orda1 Wed 23-Mar-16 20:33:38

Yep normal in my sector

axlbaby Wed 23-Mar-16 20:39:30

I work in financial services and our company has its own onboarding process which everyone has to pass. They need to see all the documentation themselves so it's probably something like that?

Creampastry Wed 23-Mar-16 21:05:46

Just show them, it's normal. if you don't or query it, then say goodbye to the job.

Geepee71 Wed 23-Mar-16 21:08:34

Normal and shredded if you don't get offered the job

EnriqueTheRingBearingLizard Wed 23-Mar-16 21:13:51

Totally normal because the Government now put the onus on employers to check applicants' elegibility to work in the UK, likewise for renters, their eligibility checks are the responsibility of the Landlord, who can be fined if proper checks aren't made and aren't successful.

From the employer's point of view, they won't want to waste their time ofering a job that the applicant isn't then eligible for anyway.

Regulations change all the time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now