Talk

Advanced search

Am I too old to enter 'beauty pageant'?

(164 Posts)
pavlovapippa Wed 23-Mar-16 17:22:41

So every spring, the city in which I live in hosts a festival which is a celebration of the people who live here and they choose a 'Queen' to lead the festival and parades. Now typically the queen is a teenage girl, aged around 15-20 however I've applied to be this years queen for a few reasons which I think are valid. I think it's an excellent way to give back to people who have supported me in this city and our little business so much and to promote some of the amazing charities and causes we work with..

I'm 25 BTW and there's no age limit specified, but told some of my friends and they weren't very supportive? Some say I would make a lovely queen, would really enjoy etc and have the best time of my life though so unsure.

AIBU?

Sparklingbrook Wed 23-Mar-16 17:27:39

What are they looking for in a Queen?

VimFuego101 Wed 23-Mar-16 17:29:01

Do they select based on looks?

pavlovapippa Wed 23-Mar-16 17:29:56

They are looking for someone charitable, proud of where they come from, accomplished perhaps.. I suppose good looks are a part too as nobody wants the Elephant Man leading the parade lol

Floggingmolly Wed 23-Mar-16 17:31:25

It does seem a bit high schoolish, but if you have valid reasons for wanting to do it, why not?

Theambler Wed 23-Mar-16 17:34:14

* I think it's an excellent way to give back to people who have supported me*

Really? In what way?

WorraLiberty Wed 23-Mar-16 17:35:06

I love this OP

She's hilarious grin wine

lulucappuccino Wed 23-Mar-16 17:37:10

Beauty pageant queen? Oh god, how tacky. Don't do it,l.

FirstWeTakeManhattan Wed 23-Mar-16 17:38:55

Are you going to dress as every character from a variety of successfulthemedparties? All at once? Go on, do it.

DonkeyOaty Wed 23-Mar-16 17:39:03

Ooh NO <shudder>

pavlovapippa Wed 23-Mar-16 17:40:08

Oh forgot to mention, can win £1,000 worth of hair care and a made to measure dress grin

MelanieCheeks Wed 23-Mar-16 17:40:10

If you want to do it, then go ahead! Is it like a Rose of Tralee thing?

BillSykesDog Wed 23-Mar-16 17:41:55

Fuck that OP. You need to apply for Miss World. What Miss World needs is more Elsa tributes. Go on, make Miss Colombia cry bitter tears of grief again.

NerrSnerr Wed 23-Mar-16 17:42:13

Go for it. What is your company again OP? I don't think you've mentioned it before have you?

Throwingshadeagain Wed 23-Mar-16 17:43:55

Yes you are way, way too old at 25 hmm

curren Wed 23-Mar-16 17:44:02

Is it so you can advertise your VERY SUCCESSFUL company?

It's not about giving back. It's about feeding your ego.

But as you 'model' in your spare time, I say go for....its in the party bag' grin

FirstWeTakeManhattan Wed 23-Mar-16 17:44:22

I think it's an excellent way to give back to people who have supported me in this city

What exactly would you be giving back OP?

Which city is it, by the way? I've seen this in many towns and villages, but never a 'Queen' of a whole city.

Hobbes8 Wed 23-Mar-16 17:44:43

I'd go to a parade led by the elephant man. He's pretty famous.

Theambler Wed 23-Mar-16 17:45:58

I know worra. I have learned recently that if my eyebrows start touching my hairline halfway through an OP, it's probably a PP post.

Floggingmolly Wed 23-Mar-16 17:46:00

Oh. It's you hmm. I just assumed it was someone normal from a small American town where being Homecoming Queen was a perfectly usual thing to do. Not you with the overflowing CV...

lottielou7 Wed 23-Mar-16 17:47:14

I suppose the concept is sexist, in the same way that Miss World is.

If this is for real you do sound a bit shallow, OP with your Elephant man comment.

girlfrommars33 Wed 23-Mar-16 17:48:35

YABU.

What are your 'few reasons'? You've only mentioned one - giving something back - and that makes no sense perhaps if you want to do that you could help organise the event. Do you have any skills in event management?

AnnieOnAMapleLeaf Wed 23-Mar-16 17:50:15

You're not too old to enter. You are, however, far too arrogant - however will they fit the crown on your oversized head when you win?

curren Wed 23-Mar-16 17:50:35

What really weird is that Google can't find a city wide beauty pageant.

Nor 'queen of the city' title.

You can apply to represent your city in the miss England/ miss uk competition. But unfortunately for the OP, she can't enter that. Too old and has kids. Shame

pavlovapippa Wed 23-Mar-16 17:51:55

girlfrommars33 I am actually the owner of a successful events company (mainly focusing on childrens birthday parties but have since expanded into corporate events) so yes I have plenty of experience and part of the duty as queen is to ensure the festival runs smoothly

Giving back in the sense that I can contribute towards a lovely day for everyone, I'm used to acting in a royal manner too as through my company I take on some acting roles

Some may say it's tacky but I'm going to go for it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now