Talk

Advanced search

Aibu to think my daughter is too old to be wetting herself?

(66 Posts)
Gymboree567 Wed 23-Mar-16 15:17:56

My daughters just turned 13, yes 13
She was potty trained at 3,
Has been dry from around 3.5 in the day and 4.5 by night
But the last 12 months (so from the age of 12) I've noticed stained underwear and smelly pyjamas/jeans
It's not like she is actually full on wetting herself, just dribbling maybe?
It seemed to coincide with her getting a laptop so I thought she was so engrossed in watching Netflix she was leaving it too late to go the toilet
I spoke to her about it and limited the laptop time
But it's still happening, she says she knows she is doing but is too lazy to go to the toilet!
She's very image conscious, lots of make up, always doing her hair, buying new clothes but doesn't seem bothered that she smells like a public toilet
Should I take her to the doctors? Has anyone else experienced this?
Thanks

CutYourHairAndGetAJob Wed 23-Mar-16 15:20:45

Drs yes, perhaps she has a urine infection?

Gymboree567 Wed 23-Mar-16 15:26:35

Thank you, I didn't know that could be a cause, I will make her an appointment

flanjabelle Wed 23-Mar-16 15:27:14

I would be getting her seen, this is not normal teen behaviour and I would be very concerned.

TattyDevine Wed 23-Mar-16 15:34:59

I would be very concerned if something like this just started happening out of the blue.

I really hate to say it, and I will probably get flamed, but this kind of thing can start to happen for quite sinister reasons, which I accept are not necessarily the case here.

I'd start with your GP.

So sorry if that sounded melodramatic or scaremongery.

Gymboree567 Wed 23-Mar-16 15:40:29

I'm pretty sure there's nothing sinister
She is very lazy, that's why when she told me she couldn't be bothered to go to the toilet and was hanging on too long I believed her
Although she is very image conscious she is also nose blind to her own odour (typical teenager) I have to pester her to take a shower, she quite often has b.o.
And will go a week without showering if I don't tell her to
I will make her a gp appointment tho

Gymboree567 Wed 23-Mar-16 15:41:59

She also wears socks and pants for more than one day, yes gross I know!

TattyDevine Wed 23-Mar-16 15:42:23

Cool.

Only you know her situation, if that makes sense.

GP is a good start...if nothing else and it is just pure laziness, it might make her think that if you are taking her to a doctor about it, that it is not "acceptable" and is concerning enough to make her think about it.

TattyDevine Wed 23-Mar-16 15:43:43

And a urine infection, if she has one, might be a cause, because she may have just gone and need to go again (as you do with a urine infection) and think, oh I can't be bothered, it can only be a tiny dribble, so lets the tiny dribble out, it dries, etc etc.

Gymboree567 Wed 23-Mar-16 15:47:27

Yes that makes sense,
Gp it is, and if she is just being lazy hopefully this will be a wake up call, it did get better when I took the laptop away for a week, maybe a coincidence
She's currently on no laptop as a punishment for something else! So will see how it goes but will definitely be making a drs appointment

calamityjam Wed 23-Mar-16 15:52:45

I'm getting quite ticked off at the mention of child abuse in every other bloody post. Of course we should all be aware of this but op had already said her dd is known to be lazy going to the loo. To read some comments on here you would think abuse occurs in every other home in the country. Can we please have less of the moral panic posting.

TattyDevine Wed 23-Mar-16 15:53:39

Nobody mentioned child abuse, did they? hmm

MiffleTheIntrovert Wed 23-Mar-16 15:57:04

My first thought would have been a UTI or similar physical issue. I think sometimes teens can be self conscious about discussing things like this, and to be honest, the way you come across in this post, wouldn't encourage me to confide in or discuss things like this with you, and I'm not a teenager (but I have a few).

I find it hard to believe you would let a physical issue like this in a 13 year old go on for a year and assume she is "wetting herself" because she is "very lazy", rather than getting her checked over.

magratsflyawayhair Wed 23-Mar-16 15:57:48

Doctors definitely. It's not usual and I would guess there's an underlying cause.

calamityjam Wed 23-Mar-16 15:58:06

Yes Tattydevine mentioned it, indirectly yes but it is happening a lot.

Gymboree567 Wed 23-Mar-16 16:00:19

It's been nearly a year because it has been on and off, improving when we have spoken about it and had the laptop removed and then getting gradually worse the last couple of weeks

TattyDevine Wed 23-Mar-16 16:00:28

And I will continue to post whatever I want in line with the Talk Guidelines.

Narp Wed 23-Mar-16 16:03:49

I think people are allowed to mention child abuse without getting told off.

Gymboree567 Wed 23-Mar-16 16:05:47

Miffle, I can't see how you can judge wether you would speak to me if you were a teen as you don't even know me and all I have done is state facts!
You know what I've been on here a week, and I've been told I should leave my husband (because I feel down) I've seen people flamed for the smallest of things,
Now accused of being unapproachable by people who don't know me at all!

I won't be coming on mumsnet again, I thought it would be friendly helpful advice, but I was so wrong, thank you to everyone who has helped though,
But there's just too many keyboard warriors out for a fight!

whatevva Wed 23-Mar-16 16:06:21

Hormone fluctuations or constipation may be contributing.

calamityjam Wed 23-Mar-16 16:19:21

Op please don't stop posting because of some small minded people on here. Mumsnet can be an excellent source of advice and support. I think sometimes you have to blank out some posts as some people will pick apart your words like hungry vultures desperate for something to judge you on. Others will make mountains out of mole hills. Most however are lovely, caring and very insightful. I have learntso much on various aspects of child rearing as well as education and other matters relevant to the degree I'm studying. I hope your dd gets some good advice and help from your gp. And please don't think we are all vipers.

Groovee Wed 23-Mar-16 16:21:33

My friend used to wet herself and presumed it was due to a weak pelvic floor. Eventually it turned out she had a bacteria in her bladder which forced her to wet herself as it would just come out. She had a long course of antibiotics.

NattyNatural Wed 23-Mar-16 16:23:16

It must be very hard for you op not knowing what's causing this. Definitely doctors.
Hope you get it sorted thanks

Gymboree567 Wed 23-Mar-16 16:31:54

Thank you everyone that has given helpful advice
I didn't know this could be caused by an infection so will be getting it checked out

She did also tell me she won't use the toilet at school as the locks are broken, there's never any loo roll and older girls smoke in the toilets

Janecc Wed 23-Mar-16 16:32:23

My friend as a teen used to wet herself when she laughed. It could be a uti, weak pelvic floor or hormones as someone else suggested. I know dogs can suddenly start messing in the house during puberty (I assume they somehow lose part of the control of their bodily functions for a while) so maybe it happens in humans too. Perhaps I will google that one.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now