Talk

Advanced search

To get a personal trainer when no one thinks I can do it

(19 Posts)
teddymou Wed 23-Mar-16 13:34:44

Just that really. I'm thinking of signing up to a personal trainer and I really want to tone up and get fit. I've about 10lb to lose so not that much. I've tried everything, SW,WW, Unislim, Motivation. I'm on antidepressants which made me put on about 1 and a half stone. As everything else failed am I mad to think that this will work?

ThroughThickAndThin01 Wed 23-Mar-16 13:35:47

It'll work. Expensive though.

Pinkheart5915 Wed 23-Mar-16 13:46:11

No not mad at all.
If you can afford it, go for it.
I am/ was a dance teacher so that has always kept me toned, but in order to stay toned I also do weights and pole dancing classes with a friend once a week could you look in to this? And of course I eat the right food

What does a typical days diet look like for you?
How much exercise do you currently do?

LordEmsworth Wed 23-Mar-16 13:47:26

Who thinks you can't do what? Your OP suggests you're the only one trying to talk yourself out of it... grin

Weightloss isn't guaranteed - and weight is a poor measure anyway - but there's no failing at training - as soon as you start you're improving your physical and mental well being.

If you do it alongside healthy and appropriate eating, you should lose weight, but if you're only 10lb overweight, I wouldn't focus on that as much as improving your overall health.

Mondrian Wed 23-Mar-16 13:50:51

At the end of the day its you who has to put in the effort and control your diet, a personal trainer will just show you the way.

Sallygoroundthemoon Wed 23-Mar-16 13:51:22

Brilliant. You can do it and don't let others put you off. I'm biased as I'm a PT but getting help with exercise and nutrition from an expert can only help.

teddymou Wed 23-Mar-16 13:53:03

Thanks to all of you. DH doesn't think I'll follow through with it and it'll be a waste of money. He's kind of convincing me or at least making me doubt that I'll succeed as I never succeeded before. This time though I really want to change as I've gone from a size 10-12 to a size 14-16 and it's making me so so unhappy. I've been dieting for two years since I started the antidepressants but the weight just piled on and this in itself is getting me down. I've tried on numerous occasions to wean off the antidepressants or change medications but nothing has worked and the withdrawal on the last attempt was so bad, I literally had pain in every joint of my body. So I have to accept that I need the drugs and try to come at the weight-loss from a different angle.

MrsCaecilius Wed 23-Mar-16 13:55:24

Have you tried group PT sessions (often called boot camps)? They can be a way of making a PT affordable. I go weekly to one near by - its outside (local park) with like minded people (about 5 women, all similar ages/sizes) so you get real one to one support and training, but with the motivation and camaraderie of a group. I think its brilliant!

Pinkheart5915 Wed 23-Mar-16 13:58:17

Your dh should be encouraging you.
You say you are on anti depressants and I think good well being/ feeling good about yourself can help depression, well it did my Mum she suffered very badly for a while then joined a gym, over hauled her eating habits, found hobbies and it honestly has done her so much good.

Go for the personal trainer, as long as your budget allows and good luck to you!

Genx77 Wed 23-Mar-16 14:21:14

I have a personal trainer, every Thursday morning. I love him, it's such a different way of exercising compared to a regular gym or fitness class. Be aware though that no PT worth his/her salt will get on board with you wanting to lose a specific amount of weight, the scales are worthless, they don't measure fitness, muscle tone etc so go to a PT by all means but go with the intent to slim down your shape and tone up not to drop ten pounds.

CMOTDibbler Wed 23-Mar-16 14:23:15

Of course you can do it! You might find feeling accountable to one person will help keep you on track, and exercise will help you tone and feel better about your body

ctjoy103 Wed 23-Mar-16 14:24:54

I've had a personal trainer however my goal was weight gain, and it was truly worth the money spent. Learnt the correct exercises suitable for me, and developed a good routine after. Also I had to pay for 10 sessions upfront and at a cost of 45 per session there was no way I wouldn't follow through. You can do it, it's very motivating.
I found that training with someone who is solely dedicated to you more motivating than group sessions where everyone is concerned about their own goals and if you miss a session only you would lose out.

CakeNinja Wed 23-Mar-16 14:29:20

I bloody love my pt, he's worth every penny.
He helped me shed 2 stone to fit into a dress and has encouraged me to maintain the loss and work harder to lose more.
I stopped using him about 6 months ago as I was confident I could go it alone having learnt the basics but in truth, he's so motivating and I'm lazy, really need someone standing over me, counting every single rep, timing me, pushing me, otherwise it's too easy to stop when you think you've had enough.
He's an expensive way of keeping me on track, but for me, I need him!
Go for it, if it doesn't work for you, try something else.

Allbymyselfagain Wed 23-Mar-16 14:34:16

I adore my pt and she's really not expensive. £12 an hour. I've lost so much weight gained enough muscle to be toned AND developed a love of exercise that will never go away. I went from Not being able to about to run a marathon in 18 months.
Pts are better than gyms because they force you to work, you can't float through an hour when it's one on one

magpie17 Wed 23-Mar-16 14:44:50

If you lack motivation yourself they can be brilliant, they make you accountable and will push you harder than you would push yourself.

I don't think weightloss should necessary be your goal though, if you only have 10lb to shift. Focus on getting fitter and stronger and if you eat well then you will reach your target anyway.

I only have half a stone to shift now (have lost two) so am focussing on fitness and health in general as weight-loss is slow at this stage.

dinkystinky Wed 23-Mar-16 14:49:16

Its expensive - but because you've paid for it you stick to it! Definitely worth doing - and exercise is (in my experience) good for you feeling better about life generally (its how I chose to get rid of stress). Once you get fitter/more into the habit of exercise you can probably branch out and not use a trainer if you can self motivate.

Peanutbutterfingers Wed 23-Mar-16 14:54:05

I did it! I've never stuck to anything in my life but I splashed my tax rebate on an 8 week programme and it's been fantastic, I've worked really hard and feel great.

Having the dates in my diary meant I actually went, plus I hate letting people down. I have 6 stone to lose (4 now!) and never felt judged. Am gutted I can't afford to carry on but am joining a British military fitness club.

My whole attitude to exercise has changed and my body confidence has gone through roof. Seriously changed my life smile

JapanNextYear Wed 23-Mar-16 15:12:01

I do a boot camp 3 times a week with a bunch of random strangers, paid up front which motivated me to go. Kept up with it from January apart from last 2 weeks when I've had a virus thing.

He also do Personal Training and some of those people now come to Boot Camp instead and say how much their attitude to exercise and their bodies has changed. I know 2 people with Personal Trainers and the difference in their body shape is amazing.

I found the exercise did wonders for my menopause induced rattiness and mood swings as well - for anyone out there who has an issue like that!

BumbleNova Wed 23-Mar-16 16:24:49

do it! I have a great PT and in 6 months my body has completely changed. I really need the motivation and he pushes me in a way that I would never push myself. I havent lost weight but I am stronger than I have ever been. so much more energy, its been worth every penny.

see if you can do a trial session with a couple? see who you click with?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now